Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie keeps shaking his head side to side just about every time he gets up from a lying position. Is this indicative of an ear problem? It just started a couple of days ago.

Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Probably.... :cry: Molly does that every time she gets an ear infection.... :( ...give his ears a good cleaning, and make sure there are no corn by-products in his food....if it is indeed an ear infection, you can get an ointment at the vets for him...good luck! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Max does the same thing. Does he only shake when he gets up? Did you look in his ears? Are they crusty or do they smell? If they smell or are brown he could have a yeast infection. Doodles have a lot of ear problems.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked quick this a.m., they didn't appear to be crusty or smelly. They looked a little "greasy" for a lack of better a word though. He doesn't mind you touching his ears either, not sure if that would be the case if there was an infection though.

What is the best way to give them a good cleaning?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Sometimes Dex will shake his like that but when we check his ears they're clean. I think it depends on if it's done a lot and in combo w/other signs (i.e. rubbing the ear w/the paw, bad smell, gunk in ear, etc).

Could there be water in them? If so, try using a solution that will dry them out. good luck :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
When Cali had her ear infection, in addition to shaking her head she would also rub her head along the wall or back of the couch after eating.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far, there have been none of the other symptoms like pawing at his ear or rubbing his head on anything. I guess I'll try giving them a good cleaning and dry them out really well.

He was out in the rain the other day running around like a maniac, and that seems to be around when it started. Maybe he just got some water in there?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI Erin...if the ears look clean not gunky, or real red and NO odor then sometimes doodles do this. But IF your doodle starts pawing his ears alot then recheck the ears.

Kirby a Setter Doodle...that is normal for that kind of doodle for some reason. I don't know if i told Leslie that or not. ( she knows now hahhaa)

peanut doesn't give a sign in past when she had a yeast infection in the beginning stage whereas Max you know. I keep Ottomax on hand and Earwash too via from vet's office. AS getting an infection in the early stages is important.
AS a routine though, cleaning your doodles ears once a week is good practice as a preventative measure :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Annmarie ... Pardon my ignorance :oops: But what is the best way to clean a doodles ears? No problems yet with the Ebster and I'd like to keep it that way! :wink:

·
Registered
985 Posts
A friend who's a retired vet advised me to use a q-tip and insert it partly into the ear canal and then twirl it around and pull. That gets the hair out if you need to do it.

I always used peroxide to clean out ears when I had a cocker spaniel as a kid. Don't know if it's still a recommended procedure, but I used to pour a little into the canal, rub it around while holding the ear as closed as possible, and then swab it out with cotton balls. Not good for dark dogs, though, since it does bleach a bit.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Leslie ... That sounds so familiar, but it was what my Mom would do to ME? I had terrible ear problems as a child whenever I went swimming and would have lay my head on the table and have the peroxide gurgle away to keep any residual water and/or bacteria out! It worked and I FINALLY outgrew it! YAY!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Moses, being a standard poodle, has a lot ot hair IN his ears and has big thick ears that prevent the moisture from being able to escape his ears as well.
To prevent infections I make sure to get his ears plucked inside and if they get wet I pin his ears together on top of his head to give his ear canals a chance to get some air. So far so good as he's had no infections or irritations.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the ideas guys. I have some peroxide at home (some vinegar too) so I think I'll just give his ears a good cleaning and see what happens.

Thanks!
Bill

P.S. - We probably confuse you guys, My wife (Erin) and I both post under the same name!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
HI Erin...if the ears look clean not gunky, or real red and NO odor then sometimes doodles do this. But IF your doodle starts pawing his ears alot then recheck the ears.

Kirby a Setter Doodle...that is normal for that kind of doodle for some reason. I don't know if i told Leslie that or not. ( she knows now hahhaa)
haha...i didn't know that. we have been keeping close watch because we thought he was having ear problems :)

we use a cotton ball to rub the cleaner on their ears.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
All of these things are great ideas....BUT be sure that there is not something lodged in his ear first! If he has a foxtail or even a bug in his ear, cleaning could cause damage...unless you own one of those scopes to look into his ear, I'd go to the vet.
Head shaking means something is really troubling...ear infections are usually only diagnosed by the odor and discharge, so when head shaking is involved, I'd want to be sure that there is nothing more serious going on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't want to sound dumb, but what's a foxtail?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh! That is not a dumb question, but an extremely important one! It is a weed that resembles a wheat stalk, only the "head" actually works its way (very quickly) into ears and even skin, sometimes they penetrate internal organs.
If you put one on your shirt and "pet it" you see that it moves quite a distance...and they are the bane of existance for dogs and cats.
That is one of the first things the vet looks for, fox tail...they grow wild, everywhere!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the description, but I don't think that's it. Our yard is fairly small, and there isn't much vegatation in it, just the grass, and a row of leafy bushes across the back. Not saying it couldn't be a bug though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I tried cleaning his ears out with peroxide and cotton balls. He got a little irritated, but he was pretty cooperative. The cotton balls turned brown, and once I dug around, his ears did stink, kind of like smelly feet. I guess I should call the vet tomorrow and get him checked out just to be safe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts