Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we've had Wrigley home for a week now. He's 13 wks & can hold it in his cage all night, from about 11-7 am. I come home from work to let him out during the day, & he can hold it for about 3 hours in the cage then. But sometimes when we're home, I'll let him out, then 15 mins later he'll go in the house. Sometimes he won't poop outside then will go inside, even after we wait outside a while for him to go. I try to watch him very carefully for signs of having to go, and sometimes he will go by the door when he has to go out, but other times he'll go very soon after he's already been out.

Any advice?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hmmm...are you taking Wrigley out on a leash for potty? If not, I would try a leash (basically make the trip specifically for potty and not for any play). Once he goes, praise him like crazy and give him a treat (some don't like treating for this, but we found it very effective). We made a point to take Dex out about once every half hour...if he went potty (either pee or poop) we praised him like crazy. It just took some time...once they get it (i.e. I go outside they are happy) it gets much better. By about 4-5 months Dex was so much better and reliable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Potty troubles

I take him out on a leash, and have been using a clicker and treating him after each time he goes. He gets that part, as he is looking for the treat the minute I click & praise him. We come right back in. I just don't get why he will also go in the house after he's gone outside.

·
Registered
401 Posts
hmm... The only thing I can suggest is hanging a bell and start teaching him to ring it when he wants to go out.... it wont stop him right away, but it will help in the future...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bell for Potty time

I have a bell hanging off the door he goes out. I take his paw to ring it each time he goes out. Hopefully soon he'll figure out how to do it himself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same trouble for a week after we got Winn Dixie. It just takes persistence. They learn fast, and that didn't last too long. I always gave a treat, and made a big deal when he went outside. I gave a piece of a pupperoni, and used that particular treat only when rewarding for pottying outside.
Good luck! These puppies catch on quickly!

Kay and Winn Dixie

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's been nearly a month now since Jofi's last accident - she's 5 and a half months and finally seems to have got the idea. I imagine with a lot of puppies it comes quicker (and it's mostly my fault for not being as consistent as I could have been) - but what was interesting is that when she did get it, she really got it - almost an overnight change. Jofi has pretty much free-range of the house. We did use a pen for a while but not a crate (she just never liked her crate - perhaps because she had a long flight in a crate from Australia to Europe).

Stick with the routine with Wrigley - it sounds like you're doing everything right. Sometimes they do need to go and then again later. In the morning Jofi will do a little pee and then about 15 minutes later she needs to do a big pee - so I'll tend to take her out wait for her to pee (on leash) and only then we start our morning walk - mid-walk she'll pee again. Make a note of when Wrigley goes and keep an eye on how much he pees and try to stick to a strict feeding and potty trips/walking routine - then it will become predictable. If he only seems to do a short pee, be sure to take him out again 10 minutes or so later as he might need to go again.

I'm sure he'll be housebroken within a few weeks - just keep up with the routine and it will pay off.

Libby

G

·
Sorry no big words of advice here. As others said keeping aschedule is the key. I got Maya when she was 3.5 mos old and she already knew going potty outside was a good thing she just didn't know how to tell me she had to go. After about a month we got in sync and after that it's been easy. The biggest thing is lots of praise when they go. I got all excited everytime Maya went outside and an even more so when she let me know she needed to so she understood it was a good thing!

·
Registered
260 Posts
our puppy ursus is 4 months old, and we went through something very similar for a couple of weeks starting around a month ago. it was incredibly frustrating, especially since it was so freezing cold and snowy outside. at times it seemed like we were going out every 15 minutes!! i swear it was like ursus was thinking "why should i go out in the frigid arctic tundra to do my business when i can stay nice and warm inside and pee on the carpet". grr.

to my understanding, puppies that young don't have complete control over their bladders yet. it can seem like they do, because they can hold it for hours at a time in the crate, but the thing is they have an extra added motivation to hold it in the crate that is not present when they are in the living room. they *really* don't want to sit in pee. when they have not yet learned the 'don't pee in the house' rule, and don't realize they have to go until a split second beforehand, well the best you can do is try to interrupt them and take them outside to finish. if you're too late and the puppy has already emptied it's bladder, the teaching moment has passed.

one thing we did that seemed to help with ursus was move the dog bed he sleeps on in the living room over to the middle of the spot where most of his accidents seemed to occur. puppies don't like to pee where they sleep or eat, and for some reason taking away his 'preferred' spot made it easier for us to tell he had to go -- i think maybe he walked around a little more like he was looking for a spot. it's also a good idea to clean up the mess with a product like nature's miracle to eliminate any odors.

with some patience and persistence on our part for a few weeks -- if one of us couldn't be watching ursus *constantly* he went in his crate, no exceptions -- i'm now fairly confident that he has learned the rule. we haven't had an accident in about three weeks, he definitely has more control over his bladder, and he is starting to signal us when he needs to go out. hooray!

so, just be patient i guess, and stick with the program. he'll be housebroken before you know it.

-em

·
Registered
123 Posts
In my experience 13 weeks is just too young and he does not have control of bladder yet. With Emily at 5 months old something just clicked and she never had an accident again inside (she is now 8 months old). Also one week is a very short time for puppy to get used to routine. Just be patient and continue doing what you are doing. You are doing everything right and it will happen soon enough....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Toby was potty trained just befor he turned 15 weeks..

we did pretty much what Leslie did with a few twist..

luckily i was prepared for hell week..which pretty much run s 2 weeks :?
during the day it was outside every hr. or whenever there was any event in the home..ie; feeding or water or play..

then in the evening s he was crated and at that time is was every 2 hrs..

good or bad..it was cold..very cold during jan...when i took him out on a leash..it was *potty* and *good boy* and a hug when he did his business..if he did nt do his business i d continue to say *potty* for another few minutes befor going back in..

eventually we stayed out longer and the only way he could go back in was to potty..to the point of faking a push up just to get out of the cold..

believe me..it got worst befor it got better..there was 3 day s of poo and pee accident s befor he finally went out on his own thru the doggie door..
not to be too over confident..i continued the daily and night routine for a couple more day s befor allowing him to sleep outside his crate..

2 weeks, 3 days..that s how long it took for Toby..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
potty training

Well, yesterday was the first day w/only one accident. We (I) do let him out frequently & he drinks a lot, which I'm sure contributes to it. But he can go from 11 pm - 7 am in the crate w/no accidents, and he stays in there for 3-4 hours while I'm at work w/no accidents. What's frustrating is that his accidents often occur within 15 mins. of going outside & peeing, and often there is no warning - he'll just stop & pee on the carpet. Those are the worst. Sometimes he'll stand by the door, but if we don't see him, he won't wait there, he'll find a place to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What really helped my pup learn not go in the house was if he did not go outside, I would place him back in the crate right away and then take him out 15 minutes later.. if he did not go.. I would do it again.. and when he went outside, praise him like crazy.. I also would give him a treat..
Hope this helps..

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali took awhile to potty train after we got her at 12 weeks of age. She did finally get it though. One thing to remember is the reason they can hold it all night is that their system literally slows down when they're asleep or inactive in the crate so their kidneys aren't cranking out the urine at the same rate as during the day. The activity will increase the frequency they need to go never mind the increased water intake during the day. It just takes a lot of vigilance, consistency and praise when they do get it right. It will happen, just hang in there! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts