Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying this was a happy ending for a doodle.
BUT.....when Bogie was in ICU, we were talking to a tech who acquired a labradoodle at someone else's expense.
She had told us that Bogie should be just fine based on her own personal experience. Her doodle had imbibed straight bleach and wasn't expected to live.........he has now been fine for 6 years!........but is on a special diet.
Going further into the story and finding out more this morning, a poor family had rushed their doodle to the ER. They couldn't afford to treat the dog. So they said their goodbye's.
Then the vet treated the dog and this tech got him!
I have a problem with that. Like I said before........it's a happy ending and the doodle wasn't put down. But, couldn't they have worked with these poor people? Even if they had to pay $10 a month for the next 30 years!
It just doesn't seem right that this poor dog lost it's owners and the owners lost him because they couldn't afford it!
AAAAARGH! I feel so sorry for this little family that lost their doodle! You would think a VET could help more!
For example, I suppose anyone could claim to not be able to afford treatment. But, they could do a credit report check and see if the people are for real or not. That way they could work out a plan. The treatment was done for free anyway.............so what's the big deal?
VETS, DOCTORS, HOSPITALS............. :evil: I'm sorry..this really got me and I know it happens all the time!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
That is sad. I am so torn on my opinion of this too...because in my heart I agree with you - especially if the family would be willing to make payment plans. However in my head I know that these places would go out of business if they didn't get paid. I guess that's a good reason why people should get dog insurance (especially if they would be unable to pay for an emergency (often expensive) procedure. I also agree that some people would take advantage if the vet was too accomodating. It's a tough situation.

When Dex had his surgery done, the cost to us was $600...the hospital we had been at was going to charge us $3000-5000 if we had it done there :shock: I got talking to our vet and asked why he charges so much less. He explained to me that they would rather make a small profit for these surgeries than to either 1) lose it to a bigger hospital or 2) have the person not be able to afford it and put the animal down. He said he needs to make money, but is willing to keep his profit smaller.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I know that the situation you describe can happen but that has not been my experience. When my Kerrie Blue had major medical expenses ~$3,000 and I was a single mom, the vet begged me not to have her put down saying he would take payments and he would pay for every other day of her recovery care.

I personally know of people who will not spend money to save a dog's life...they would rather it be put down. Often in those cases the vet does do it for free and the dog goes to someone who will then take on the responsibility.

After spending many hours at the vet this past week and seeing what they have to deal with....my heart goes out to them. It is a tough job.

I think the good ones far outweigh the mercenary ones.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the problem was that it's an ER vet. These people couldn't wait, like I couldn't, to see their vet in the morning.
Our cost was $2800...plus $500 in bloodwork at the emergency vet! :shock: I'm sure that could've been cut in half at his own vet clinic!
I'm happy to hear that vets are willing to help!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Our cost was $2800...plus $500 in bloodwork at the emergency vet! Shocked I'm sure that could've been cut in half at his own vet clinic!
That is horrible. The Emergency Vet is in the same building as our regular and the only difference is a $15 charge if you don't have an appointment and come in as an emergency walk-in. They don't charge any more.

I think what you describe is really outrageous! Tanner's ultrasound was $300 his bloodwork was $72

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I had a great vet (now retired) that was a big sweetheart. He would cut prices in situations...even take firewood in trade, probably did other trades too. 10 years ago my 5 lb. poodle slipped out of the yard and was run over. I thought her back was broken, but her hips were crushed and one of her legs broken.
We were flat broke at the time and he asked how much was my limit was. I only had $300 to spare and he totally treated her fot that(5 days at the vet too). He would also not charge at times when I brought in simple things that just required a quick look. I will never forget him!
He knew we had quite a few animals & fed alot of stray cats at the back door & would bring them in if they needed treatment.
He truely had a deep love for animals. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Finding a vet with such a love for animals is unique and one is very lucky when it happens.

We had a cat who was very ill a couple of years ago. After $250 worth of treatment and testing, it was determined that she needed surgery to remove a blockage. We just couldn't afford much more so the vet asked what we could pay and we said another $50. So he did the surgery and the recovery for $50. Essentially he did it for free to save the life of the cat. We're lucky that this man became a vet.

We're very loyal customers/patients now. And this is reflected in the amount of $$$ we've continued to spend in preventive medicine with him.

I don't know what to think about the original situation of the family losing their pet because they couldn't pay. It doesn't seem ethical somehow. I mean, if little Billy breaks an arm and the family can't pay, they don't take little Billy away and rehome him.

G

·
Linda that is crazy!!! That is dog stealing in my book if the family couldn't pay for the surgery!!! Now if it was becasue they didn't want to pay well then I'm glad they did what they did.

It's funny how people are with animals.....me I would pay anything to keep Maya or Morgan healthy or get them healthy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This story makes me so mad and if I were you I'd go to another vet. Anyone with that attitude about the relationship between dog and man isn't qualified to practice medicine.

Would a peditrician only treat a child if the mother had to put the kid up for adoption? No, people would think that's crazy. In my opinion this is the same thing. Horrible! And shame on the tech for taking the pup. She should have contacted the family once the dog was healed and given her back.

Oh...I'm all worked up over this one!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
oK I always believe there is two sides to the story and try to leave room for "benefit of doubt" so possibly the people couldn't afford surgery, ICU and the special diet?

either way, at least the doodle wasn't put down and is living a good life.
Personally, Linda i am torn myself upon hearing this.

My vet was good when Peanut needed treatment as the night before
the ER CLinic $260 upfront...THEn my bill was $481 with the vet and luckily Peanut didn't need surgery. HOWEVER at the time my vet knew I didn't have the full amount IF he had to do ER surgery and said not to worry i could pay whatever i could afford monthly :D

My previous vet was horrible.....they charged 23% interest on balances

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
lindamarie said:
. They couldn't afford to treat the dog. So they said their goodbye's.
Then the vet treated the dog and this tech got him!
!
I have a MAJOR problem with that if the poor dogs owners had said their goodbyes thinking their doggie was going to be euthanized and then the Vet treated him and let someone else have this poor dog, who probably was so sad missing his family and they him. :shock: :shock: :shock: Did this Vet tell the family that he was going to treat the dog and keep it or give it to someone else, was that agreed upon by the family or I am reading this correctly that they thought their pup was being put to sleep?? And if that is what they thought, I'd sure as He** be reporting that Vet if I knew who it was, that is awful

I find it sad that the Vet could not somehow work out some kind of payment with the people, I agree they have to make a living, but...surely they could have made arrangements !

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with Mary--if the family was not aware of this, then it seems highly unethical--perhaps even fraudulent, since dogs are technically considered property. It is hard to decide what to think without all of the facts, but i would think that most people would agree to have the dog go to someone else if they were just unable to pay the bill, so i hope that is what happened.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
About 26 years ago I had a show quality German import line German Shepherd female that I'd bought for breeding from a friend who trained dogs for police work. She wasn't aggressive enough for his needs. I paid a HUGE price for her (More than any other animal I've bought even since, and I used to have horses!) and fell completely in love with her. She was just a super dog.

This dog got injured and needed one of her front legs amputated at the shoulder, so I took her to an animal hospital in a nearby city. My vet led me to believe they'd accept payments, but when I went to pick her up, I was told cash or no dog. I went home in tears without her even though I'd paid a considerable amount to them.

When I got home and told my husband (boyfriendat that time) about it, he went to the bank, took out a loan and went and picked her up for me as a gift. One of many reasons I fell in love with him. :oops:

Sadly, it seems to happen a lot. I know they'd probably get ripped off if they took payments from some, but losing a pet in those circumstances just seems wrong too.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Well... I guess the other side of the story is a family that let their dog drink bleach and preferred having the dog put down to paying for treatment. We don't know their situation. It could be that they just didn't care enough about the dog to bother with nursing him back to health. In that case, it was just as well that someone else took the dog.

Our first foster dog had been hit by a car and his leg was broken. The owners didn't want to pay for his treatment and he was left at the shelter who paid for his medical care.

It's just hard to know the whole story.

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well... I guess the other side of the story is a family that let their dog drink bleach and preferred having the dog put down to paying for treatment.
Although there may be another side to the story, I don't think this was it at all.
When Bogie was poisoned, it may also have been the bleach and murphy's oil soap that was in the basement....where he never goes. I honestly believe the dog did exactly what Bogart did........we could afford it and these people couldn't.

I don't know if they were told the dog would be put down. That's an interesting question!! It certainly WOULD be unethical if that's what they said.......and gave the dog away!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i feel the same way with vets as i would someone needing life
saving surgery..then denied for lack of funds..

i would have thought that atleast the vets. luv for animal s
would have have offered the family some financial alternatives.. :x

if not , the vet. need s to find another profession..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts