Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of Riley passed out in her nighttime crate last night - it looks like we will either have to start dragging the big one in at night or see if we can trust her in the bedroom at night unconfined...

What do you guys think? She looks pretty comfy...but I don't think she will be for much longer!

Where did our little baby puppy go?? It seems like this month has flown by!

She was 7.5 lbs when we got her...and she weighed in at 16 at the vet this Tuesday!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Darwin is almost 80 lbs now, at 1 1/2 years old, and still stuffs himself into his crate at least once a day! :shock:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'd say she's going to outgrow it before too long. I think they say a dog should be able to stand and turn around in the crate. I suspect she'll let you know when she doesn't want to sleep in it any longer. :D Why don't you just crate her in the big one wherever it is? If she's used to a crate in another room then she should be able to sleep there overnight.

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
LOL.........In a way Riley looks comfie!!
We also have been doing the crate thingie. Bogie isn't old enough yet to outgrow his crates but we now have 3.
The guy at the store tried to talk me into a bigger one.............the 5000.........but I think 2 4000's will work.
What size is yours? We also have a 3000.......he'll outgrow that one soon, but he likes it.
As long as they can turn around is what they say...........I've seen 2 Springers content in one smaller crate.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What a great picture. Abbey outgrew her puppy crate a month or so ago. So we got her a canvas crate on Amazon. It is very light and folds up when necessary. We use it in the bedroom and take it in the car for travel. Luckily, she is not inclined to chew the crate. I don't think canvas would work for dog that was a chewer. Abbey is also a small labradoodle, only 21 lbs.

Yesterday, we went to a play in San Francisco. We dropped off Abbey at my niece's house (with her crate) and she had a fun day with our niece walking around the neighborhood. Turned out to be a good day of socializing for Abbey. When we returned Abbey was contently resting in her crate. We played with her a while and then put her back in her crate when we went out to dinner. I'm still amazed how helpful these crates can be.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I would advise saving some money and buying a larger crate that will hold your dog when full grown. We did that and partitioned it off for Dexter so he didn't have too much room. I think once the dog gets used to one crate he/she will be more comfy staying in the same one (w/more room) than having to get used to a new one.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That looks like a tight fit... We mistakenly brought home the medium sized crate for Ozzie and immediately realized "we're gonna need a bigger boat". We took it back and exchanged it for the Mongo sized model. Should last him a while.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lmtoth2 said:
I would advise saving some money and buying a larger crate that will hold your dog when full grown. We did that and partitioned it off for Dexter so he didn't have too much room. I think once the dog gets used to one crate he/she will be more comfy staying in the same one (w/more room) than having to get used to a new one.
We do have another crate that we use while we are gone during the day that is set up in the living room - it says for dogs up to 70 lbs and we have it partitioned off for her so it isn't too large. Problem is - it doesn't fit through the bedroom door! So we had to constantly break it down and set it up again, forcing us to get a smaller one for the bedroom :D

She loves this crate in the bedroom, not so great with the one in the living room though...so i don't think she would want to spend the night out there.

We knew she would outgrow this one - it is a 2000 for up to 25 lbs. The one in the LR is a 4000.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We do have another crate that we use while we are gone during the day that is set up in the living room - it says for dogs up to 70 lbs and we have it partitioned off for her so it isn't too large. Problem is - it doesn't fit through the bedroom door! So we had to constantly break it down and set it up again, forcing us to get a smaller one for the bedroom
haha...well that's a very good reason for having a small crate :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lmtoth2 said:
haha...well that's a very good reason for having a small crate :D
Yeah...darn these older houses!

Maybe we'll try getting her a bed w/sides and see if she stays in it. I think we have at least a few more days before she isn't comfortable. She really has plenty of room to curl up and sleep - but she prefers to stretch out and who can blame her!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My son thought this was cute- The doodles on the other hand said "Is this your idea of a joke?" This is the crate both boys used, and Frankie graduated for a larger one awhile back.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Their faces are so cute. You can tell they were really hoping it was just a joke. I don't think they thought it was funny. So cute.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It looks like they are asking,
"You're not going to leave us in here, are you???????"
Their faces are priceless!

Riley does look comfy....I have seen mine sleep in that position when they had room to stretch out!! I do think a larger crate, or sleeping situation is soon to come though. Very cute photo!

8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahhaaa I LOV that pic and they look so cute and innocent :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts