Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I thought I'd share some mail that came to me this morning :roll: :

"Jacque,
Crossbreeders like you make me sick. There are enough
mutts in shelters
without you breeding more and promoting them.
Cheers,
Brad"

Here is my response :wink: :

"Brad,

A pedigree does not keep a dog out of a shelter. A dog does not have to be "pure-bred" to be loved...and love is what keeps dogs out of shelters.

It is not the breed of the dog that determines his fate, it is the heart of the owner.

Fact: breeding to keep a dog "pure" involves seriously dangerous issues of inbreeding.

Fact: a common practice with "pure" breeding is to "dispose" of any dog born with a fault.

Fact: almost every breed alive today comes from mixed parentage, often a long line of mixed breeding.

Fact: early generation mixed bred dogs are healthier. http://www.akitarescue.com/Canine%20Div ... roject.htm

I sincerely don't care what people of your ilk think of me.

I agree...you are, indeed, sick. But the racist nature of your "sickness" is a product of your own hatred. It is a result of your sense of superiority. You are displaying unfounded prejudice, a total lack of intelligence and a shameful attempt to belittle others. None of these traits are becoming. Whether or not I breed "mutts" is not the cause of your sickness."

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jac, I'm afraid there are alot of small minded people out there who are too quick to judge! :roll:
Many breeders of pure breds are breeding irresponsibly without any health testing & selling their pups to the nearest buyer to make a quick buck.
Ignore it, we know you are a responsible breeder! It's just one angry person at the end of the day without a clue! :wink: x

·
Registered
689 Posts
Excellent response.
Why do people need to be that way. Why did this person make an effort to send that comment? I know none of us have answers to this. Hey, I don't like rap music, I just don't listen to it...I don't take the time to email the performers and tell them they make me sick!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support you guys...I just get a bit frustrated that this person decided it was his duty to write to me...he obviously knows nothing about me or my program because he talked about getting these dogs from Australia and I am claiming that they are non-allergenic and non-shedding...none of which I do...(although I hope to get a multi someday! :wink: ) But his first letter is NOTHING like the followup! Wowie...this guy is really vicious. I have blocked his emails because he is very volitile.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow Jac,

I am so sorry you had to deal with that but you are the best representative I can think of to represent all of us doodle-lovers! Way to go, your response was thoughtful, factual and passionate. Thank you for doing us all justice.

-Kel

·
Registered
689 Posts
You did the best thing by blocking his email. Its obvious he doesn't want to listen to any thing, just wants to be angry and hateful. Just remember, he has opted to go through life that way.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I knew that my friends here would soothe my hurt feelings! :wink: (Not really hurt...just puzzled, I guess...ah, well, I'll let it go. The guy has serious problems in his life and I am so very blessed. :D )

·
Registered
424 Posts
This guy's argument doesn't make sense - most of these dogs are pre-sold before they are even born - to owners who have done a lot of research and are willing to wait for just the right puppy - so how are they adding to the numbers in shelters?????

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hey, some friends of mine adopted a dog from a shelter recently AND are fostering another...both are PUREBRED Golden Retrievers! Hmmmm...

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think that this guy is saying that Labradoodles are turning up in shleters...only that "mutts" are. He sees our sweet Doods as nothing more than mutts. He is angry at the plight of unwanted dogs. I actually understand that.
If I did not have a severely allergic husband, I would have been rescuing all sorts of dogs and other animals...but why should people with allergies be denied the love of an animal OF THEIR CHOICE? Why do others think that they can dictate what is right or wrong for others?
I discovered that this person is a breeder of a certain type of dog, only officially recognized in the 1970s, and the first club for that breed came about in the 1990s...and his breed is a result of mixed breeding...but he has his supporting arguments, and he believes them...I'll never convince him that his prejudice is unfounded and wrong.
I can't speak for everyone, of course, because allergies are caused by so many factors...but for us, the Labradoodles have been the answer...not only because of the allergy issue, but because they just happen to be the most wonderful companions and family pets. We adore them.
I am not foolish enough to believe that there will never be Labradoodles in shelters...or that there are none now...because I know that they are turning up. But I also know that MY dogs won't be in shelters.
I pity this person. Doods are such great dogs...it is a true shame that he will never know that.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Jac
There is no explanation for people like this, just simply blow him off. It seems most of us have done extensive research and have choosen Labraboodles because of their qualities, knowing full well they are, as some people call them "mutts." Just for entertainment, my step-son has an entirely different take on these things. He believes breeders of pure bred dogs are outragously wrong--just shy of criminals!! His view is America is the melting pot and dogs should be bred with that in mind. He mated his lab-mix to a rottie and would up trying to help find homes for a litter of pups that were not really wanted--I do believe they all found homes, but I would seriuosly doubt that they were forever homes. He tried to force one of the pups on us and we refused because we already had two dogs AND it was time for him to be responsible for his own actions (he was in his 30s--no kid). He would up keeping the dog for himself and still has it (8 years later) but it has cost him dearly (apartment deposits, rents and availabity)--not many landlords want an 80 pound rottie mix!

And oh by the way, AS WE DO, he adores our Doodle!! I guess Dakota "melts" right in!!
Diane

·
Registered
45 Posts
You are too nice! The jerk better back off, - or we will sic our
'Doodle family on him! We have your back Doodle sister!
Julee

·
Registered
279 Posts
Jac: I've been away from the computer for a couple of days.. so I've just now picked up this thread. Your response to this person was considered and right on. Did this guy pm you? It's so discouraging to know that some people have such ugly hearts....but add to that that they actually make the effort and take the time to spread the ugliness. This person's problem has nothing whatever to do with dogs. It's too bad that he's a breeder of any sort. Like the "Dog Whisperer" I believe that dogs pick up on our energy... I hate to think of the energy he's putting out there to the puppies he brings into the world. So sad. You'd think that someone who was around dogs very much would have had some of the kinks worked out of his heart.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great response

Wow, Jac, sorry you got that ugly letter, but I have to compliment you on your response!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all...your support means so much.

Lisa...no he didn't PM me...he had my home email address. He had my first name. I don't know where it came from, but wouldn't be that hard to find since I advertise my dogs in various places.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
We will have to deal with the ignorance of people like this for years to come I'm afraid. All we can do is deal with them the best we can and as I sit here and hate to say this try and educate them the best we can and learn as much as we can so that we can educate the ignorant. In my Vets office he has a genelogy of dogs I wish I could find a copy I would hang one in my whelping house of course these aren't the ones that have the problem.

Another thing the State told me to do as a breeder is to go to Radio Shack and buy the cameras and them hang up so that people driving in or by can see them, this helps protect us and our beloved dogs.

Jac just want you to know everything you said to him was right on and I would do the same block him from your email.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts