Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Henry had the lump removed from his side (from an infected hair follicle) he developed a seroma, which means fluid filled up the space that the surgery created. We've had it drained twice at the vets but the swelling came right back. After doing some research, I figured out that it probably shouldn't have been drained at all. Apparently, the body naturally absorbs the liquid again in a few weeks.

It has been a week and the bump is the size of half a softball. The vet said we should just watch it and keep in touch?

Apparently this can also happen to females after their spaying operation. Has anyone ever dealt with this issue, and if so, how long did it take the swelling to go down?

We're very concerned with our little fellow. Oh, and it totally doesn't bother him. He sleeps on the side with the swelling, he lets us touch it and massage it so I know it's not hurting him.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, we put on warm compresses morning and night but I haven't noticed a difference in the size of the swelling so I don't know if it's helping.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this.
I had this problem with a cat once and used the hot compresses
for about two weeks and it did heal. We also first did the draining.
I would get a second opinion as sometimes another vet is very helpfull
I changed vets when I went through it with my cat as i was not happy with the first vets matter of fact attitudes.

good luck

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
it happened to my female I spayed it took about a month. no antibiotics.

it happened to our male but it was different, the swelling didnt go down it increased and it ended up that it was an allergic reaction to stitches. that took steroid to make it go away and antibiotics. it was also very abvious that something was wrong, it hurt him and was discolored.

it doesnt sound like you should be taking any action at this point as long as it doesnt increase in size or pain isnt present. fluid can build to protect something that is healing and will decrease as the healing progresses.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. We went back to the vet this afternoon and she said she could put tubes in to drain it but that might cause an infection so we should just wait it out. It could take several weeks to a month for the fluid to be reabsorbed.

She said that a large hole was created when the lump was taken out and it's just a natural reaction for the body to fill the empty cavity with fluid.

It bothers us more than it bothers Henry. He's as energetic and happy as ever. The vet told us to try and keep him as quiet and rested as possible. He turns 7 months tomorrow so you all know how impossible it is to keep him "quiet and rested."

We'll try our best and I'll update in awhile.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Susan keep us posted and i am happy to hear though that Henry doesn't seem to be affected and energetic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts