Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone of ya`ll gotten these weird emails from a person(s) in the UK saying they want to buy a puppy and ask for the price and all the details then they say they will send you a US postal money order for a amount that is more than your price and want you to cash it and western union them the rest and that they will take care of all the shipping thru their company? ive gotten 2 of these and if there for real yippee but it sounds fishy to me has anyone esle had this happen?

·
Registered
158 Posts
SCAM

Yes, these are common, and are a scam. My husband is a police officer and they these reports all the time. You get the authentic looking check, you deposit in your account and send them the overage, then the check they gave you bounces. My credit union holds all cashiers checks, etc for 11 days because of this very scam. Lots of people get hurt because people want to trust others and this is exactly what these con artists prey upon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
report to FBI

I always tell them I am reporting them to the FBI, then I never hear from them again.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have not personally received one, but many of my friends have...there is always something really fishy about them...but they sound so sincere...don't fall for it!
Bogus!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
has any one gotten

thanks guys, im glad im not the only one , but im still sorta of embarrassed for almost falling for it :oops:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, gosh, don't be embarrassed...many people have been taken in by this. These guys are good!
I got an email the other day from someone claiming to be PayPal telling me that someone had attempted to break into my account...they said not to reply to the email ... and I stopped reading. I recall that these things can be very slick...so I went to PayPal and logged in. They said "if you believe you have a bogus email from PayPal, forward it to us..." and they gave an email address. I forwarded it and, of course, got a reply saying that this was not from PayPal.
I have gotten so jaded by it all that I don't trust (or even open) any email that I don't know about.
If you even open the email, they know you are a real person and sell your email address to others. It is a horrible problem.
There is also one where you are notified that your cell phone is not covered by the do-not-call list and that you have to act quickly to put it on a list before...something happens! Well, I fell for it...it looked real. The minute I clicked "enter" I got a sick feeling. I checked with the do-not-call site (official) and they had a warning about such emails.
Shortly thereafter, my cell phone started getting lots of calls...I had to change my number! And...the funny thing is...cell phones are already on a protected list...no one can call you for these annoying calls via cell phones!
I am just really glad that you caught it, yourself, before you were trapped!
Smart move!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jac, I've gotten tons of the ones for Paypal and Ebay. I just delete them, but before Gteg alerted be to the bogus nature of them I entered my info. That must be why I had to make everyone fill out a form to e-mail me now to help separate the junk from the real e-mail! I couldn't believe how much junk I started getting daily!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I did get one and I to was embarrassed :oops: for almost falling for it. I received a 2800.00 money order that was a fake. So don't feel bad just wish they could catch them. The people I talk to her in Kansas said it is impossible to catch them the way they have things set up. I turned them in but have never heard a word about it since.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have gotten several of those from PayPal also Jacque. I just forward it to thier security e-mail and they take care of it. It's a shame people can't put all that energy into doing good instead of causing headaches for everyone else :evil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Scams

This sounds like a variation on the letter from someone in a third world country who needs you to obtain funds from a bank account for them.

Anyway, we received a call from an agency that lists dogs for sale on the Internet last night. Apparently they do the advertising for a fee? They picked up on our phone number through the ad we ran in the LA Times.

Does anyone know about them?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What's the name of the agency?

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Yes my wife and I got this scam a year ago. What was scary was they wanted to pick up the puppy and the overpay together. I want to know what they would have done with the puppy?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Brian, good to see you posting here :) I hope you'll visit often.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a consistent problem for people - but I thought I'd mention I just saw this also.

Mine was similar where they wanted me to deposit a bad check and give them cash, etc. etc. etc.

Although an added twist was that the initial contact was a phone call and it was through a Relay service (these are used for people with hearing problems - they work as a liason between the person with the hearing problem and someone else). When they started emailing me and I called them out for attempting a scam they alluded to the fact that I was not being sympathetic for them being deaf.

IT WAS DEFINATELY A SCAM - I have more information if anyone was curious - but it sounds like we're all atune anyhow.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
I just got an email using my full name (how they got this i have no idea) and telling me my online banking account was compromised and therefore frozen. They gave a link for me to use (the only tip off that it was a scam) but also stated that I should go to the banks main website if i had any questions or call their fraud number. Both the website addy and bank fraud number were the real ones. That would lull you into thinking the email was real and to use the link. So they are getting more sophisticated, I think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Scam Alert

Last year I got $4800 in bad money orders for one puppy!!! So I thought it was a scam. But as soon as the money orders arrived I started getting non stop phone calls from these foreign men wanting me to send them the extra money so their "trainer" could come and pick up the dog. So I took the money orders to the Post Master in my town and he confirmed they were bad and said to tell the callers to get lost because they were no good. This very intellegent and very well spoken man called me with the most charming voice you ever heard and was telling me all this non sense about how he was the trainer and he wanted to come and meet me. I told him it was a scam and to get lost and they never called again. But I found out if I divert all my e-mail to Google's Gmail.com it filters out all this non sense! Send me an e-mail if you would like to join them. I love using GMail instead of Outlook just because of the filters! Any way, don't get caught by these creeps!!!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Artists get these sorts of scam mails all the time, too: people supposedly wanting to buy several paintings from their sites to decorate their home in Nigeria or wherever. I've also gotten the Nigerian scams, and just send them on to Earthlink's fraud abuse address. These people are successful often enough that it keeps them trying/

Here's a link to a funny payback that a horse owner worked on with a scammer like this:

http://web.archive.org/web/200705180715 ... cam12.html

I had remembered reading something like this years ago but had to go to the web archives to find it. This isn't the one I saw, but it's similar. Enjoy!

Leslie

·
Registered
985 Posts
Re: Scam Alert

sug123 said:
But I found out if I divert all my e-mail to Google's Gmail.com it filters out all this non sense! Send me an e-mail if you would like to join them. I love using GMail instead of Outlook just because of the filters! Any way, don't get caught by these creeps!!!!
By the way, how do you filter your email through gmail? Do you keep your original address or did you have to change it? I've had the same email address for fourteen years now and don't want to lose it, so I've stayed with the same ISP because of that.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok there is another scam going on ....
it's where you are called about your credit and/or debit card

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp
is a site that tells you of scams

another scam that even a Person you may know
which is horrible

someone has a business check they want to sign over to YOU and
have you deposit and while it's clearing have you give them a check,
money order or even cash ie: $500 while it clears.
ANYTIME there is a business name along with personal names
do NOT do it!!!!
Luckily my bank refused and explained why....this is a person whom i've known for years and thought i could trust till recently!!!

For me being a single mom i am always skeptical and was burned way back by close family friends.
if your GUT says something doesn't feel right, say NO and/or run to your bank where they'll let you know immediately

other thing Paypal, there have been instances where they get their goods and then dispute it and you are left with no payment

Lastly if any of YOU go thru a Broker for investments....always make sure you are in control of you money and READ all fine print and papers
Otherwise you may inadvertenly sign a piece of paper that lets a Broker have full reign over your investments.
This happened to a family member with a friend of 20yrs+ :shock:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts