Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if most people shave their dog's noses 1/2 way down? Last time I had Lucca cut they shaved down the entire nose (like a poodle)--which wasn't very cute.

In summer, I generally just have them shave her body 1/2 inch in length, shape the head (kind of like a bichon frishe), cut out her eyes, and then leave length on the beard and shorten up the ears.

What do most of the other Labradoodle owners tell the cutters?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lisa is right...IDOG has good info regarding haircuts...but I would not let them shave his nose!
Some people do that...some even shave their bodies (sometimes you need to because they get really hot in the summer)..but I think a short cut is better than a shave...besides they can sunburn.) But Doodles are bred to have long, thick, in-the-face coats...so I don't like to see them shaved like a Poodle...if they want a Poodle, they should get a Poodle! :lol:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my 1st gen doesnt get a haircut, I love the wolfhound look.
I will however trim his beard when its long because it holds water and he is so my dog that he drenches me after every drink!

I have shaved his face a few times and I do like it, its different.
but then again I was born and raised a poodle person!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lani is getting a haircut on Tuesday. I believe that the groomer, the sister of a friend, is going to scissor cut her to make her adult coat blend better with her puppy fur. I don't want to let her touch Lani's ears (pluck, cut, etc) or her face I love her look!!!!! I hope it turns out the way I have envisioned. I'll post before and after, here is to hoping!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Here's wishing you luck :) That's great that you found someone that will scissor cut Lani. I've never taken my doodles to the groomers since I do my own but I like to scissor cut mine (I'm an ex beautician so it comes easy for me). I highly recommend downloading the IDOG grooming pics and taking them with you, that way there are no guessing as to what you are wanting.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have the grooming instructions printed and ready to go. I have trimmed around Lani's eyes and the top of her head using the techniques that are used in me since I have curly hair! When people first saw picture of Lani I was told that I have Labradoodle hair! My relpy was, "excuse me but she has Lisa hair!" LOL

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Jerry, you will know when he needs a trim. Some Labradoodles can get by with just trimming around the eyes, others need trims all over. It really depends on his lifestyle also. If he lives in the country where he is out a lot running thru brush and stuff, you may want to keep him cut short all the time, it's really whatever you think is best for him. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
My doods are never trimmed. They are scruffy looking, have longish wavy hair, not wooly. I brush them a couple of times a week with some doogy hair conditioner that sweetens them up a bit. I trimmed once around their eyes, but to me they look better with no trimming at all and their scruffies aren't really getting in their eyes. However, their coats are still changing and at 13 months who knows how they'll end up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts