Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we had someone make a comment about chloe's hair- she has those scruffies around her eyes. i always try to push them back bc we really don't want to trim her- we love her scruffiness! could the hair in her eyes affect her vision or bother her?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Julie, there was a post a while back about the hair growing into the eyes and causing eye infections. This is one of the posts

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:39 am Post subject:
Sorry Lisa! I meant to answer your question about that earlier! I trim my dogs eyes every few weeks because you're right- it grows into their eyes. Summer had an eye infection a few months ago, and we think its because the hair irritated it. I would get someone to help you hold Lani, and just take a pair of scissors and trim the hair. Just be careful not to cut her! You can't mess it up to be as long as you're only trimming the hair around her eyes. My guys get home hair cuts all the time!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

This is the link
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... ght=#13232

Hope this helps

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Unless you have actually had problems, I see no need to trim...Once in a while I will trim when their eyes get goopy...just in case they are getting hair in their eyes...but rarely. When I do, I wait until they are asleep, I have someone else hold the head still, just in case, and I put the hair between the fingers of my left hand (sissor like) and place my palm over their eyes, then I clip the hair that is caught up in my fingers...it is pretty safe because if they move suddenly, you get stuck in the hand...and their eyes are not in danger.
I agree...that is what makes a doodle cute! And there are many, many dogs with long facial hair so don't let the comment bother you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I trim Leno's hair over the eyes only because I notice when its real long it makes him blink alot and to me that would be annoying if it was my eyes. Im sure it probably doesnt hurt but I could only imagine if I had hair in my eyes like that I would be miserable! ...so I do it for him!! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Frenchie had her first haircut a month or so ago. The groomer did a "triangle" trim to her eyes. The hair above was left long'ish but directly under her eyes was cut short. I like it, keeps the scruffy look but less hair to catch goop and become matted on her face / nose area.

By the way, what about ears? The grooomer said I should do a better job of pulling the hair from her hears? I understand this is a poodle thing. Any opinions or suggestions?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, Angela...not everyone plucks the ear hair. My vet said that our Poodle does not have hair growing into the ear canal (just near the opening) and I have found that having hair there protects the ears...I have found that twigs and things don't get in his ears because the hair stops it!
I do clip it if it starts to mat...but other than that, I see no need to pluck the hair. None of my doodles need ear plucking either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts