Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thank God for all the guardian angels

last nite DH was getting some clippers out of the shed and I was standing there talking to him, Annabelle was racing around the yard when out of knowwhere there is a huge clap of thunder and Flash of light, smell of smoke and leaves flying - scared the living Heebeejeebees out of me, I thought the shed had got hit - Annabelle flew thru the yard up the stairs to porch, when I realize building had not been hit I yelled at DH and our neighbor who was weedwacking to get in the house - we flew made it just before a major downpour. This storm came out of knowwhere - wasnt even cloudy out when we went outside

After the storm Donny & John went out and lightening had hit the tree in Johns yard, about 15 feet from our building - too Dam close for me - our house got hit twice in Florida - I think I 've had my share of lightening incidents for a lifetime :shock:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Annabelle is a smart dog :wink:
and luckily you were all safe :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yowie! I have a healthy respect for lightening...we used to get a lot of it when I lived in Utah too. Usually when our young sons were in a baseball field holding metal bats!
I actually saw a woman get struck, she was carrying a lawn chair and the chair metal lit up! She survived! She said that everything looked purple for days afterwards.
My Dad was knocked off a horse by lightening.
My brother and my Dad were knocked down when they took ahold of the door handle to a pick up truck and lightneing hit close by.
It struck a tree about a block from my home...
Oh, and a boy in southern UT was struck and killed when playing baseball and lightening struck.
Very, very scary stuff! So glad that you are all okay. Wow!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Scarey stuff indeed! I used to like to stay outside during storms (dumb blonde, I know) Til once when we lived on a huge hill and a big one brewed up. I was on our front porch and thought since it had an overhang I'd be okay. That is til I felt the hair on the back of my neck raise and bango, the purple martin house about 20 feet away exploded and the pole hit the ground. I rushed in the house and I could hear the electrical currents racing through the walls and my ceiling fan was spitting flames. Enough for me!!

I think Annabelle was trying to prewarn you guys by racing around. Dogs sense this stuff before it happens.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - I even stay away from windows/ the sink etc when it storms, dont let Annabelle outside etc - just freaked me that this storm seemed to come out of know where so fast

When our well got hit in Florida - our neighbor saw the lightening hit our chainlink fence - it ran down it and grounded to the well - same nite it hit corner of our house and knocked the block off, if it had been about 6" higher it would have hit the rooff and hit front and fried doorbell, next nite it hit tranformer out front and fried electrical in 3 neighbors houses - Florida was wicked for Lightening, I worked at a resort and people would get ticked when the pool and golfcourse closed due to storms in area even though it wasn't raining - you have to be so careful!

I felt so bad for Annabelle, she was so scared - came in and stayed under the DR table for 1/2 hr, wouldnt come out I had to sit down there with her, but once she calmed down and storm passed, she was her usually wirey self again :lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Very scary stuff, but I must confess you've revived a dear memory of my late Mom and thunderstorms.

Mom was a Mass-every-morning Catholic, with a strong devotion to the Blessed Mother. She was never overbearing about it ... it was her Faith and she embraced it. Of course being born in 1918 she grew up with the old customs and practices, some of which provoked snickers from her six kids.

One was to light a holy (blessed by the priest) candle during a lightning/thunderstorm to protect her home and her family. This candle was lit only during a storm and well ... the house never got hit and in fact a tornado passed a half mile from the house in 1974 and all we lost were a few shingles!

Mom never waivered from this practice. Unfortunately, in her last years at the house as her Alzheimer's advanced, we were all nervous wrecks as she could easily forget the candle was lit. But she insisted (and she could be stubborn). I made it a habit to call her from work and have her place the candle in the kitchen sink and then call after the storm to make sure it was out.

Now I can never experience a storm without thinking of my Mom and her blessed candle and during really bad one ... wish I had both for comfort and security. Thanks for letting me share ...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
["I made it a habit to call her from work and have her place the candle in the kitchen sink and then call after the storm to make sure it was out. "
[/quote]

Please do not place any candle in the sink!!! I read a news article about a cat that saved its family after a candle was placed in the sink and the holder broke. Caught the plastic pipes on fire and caused fumes to be through out the house. Only because the cat raised such a ruckus during the night that the family woke. the smoke alarms didn't go off for some reason.

Please PLEASE be careful of candles!!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Please PLEASE be careful of candles!!!!
That was the whole idea ... imagine being at work and KNOWING a candle was being lit at your home and then being forgotten (several times I sent a neighbor over to make sure it was out). The sink was the only solution for a while then sadly, right before she went into nursing care, the candle had to be hidden. Alzheimer's is such a wicked disease :twisted:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I keep a halogen flashlight and others on hand in different rooms of the house for bad storms. i also unplug tv, computers etc.
I also have 2 generators.

i am so scared of candles falling especially with max and peanut around.

lightening struck my yard blowing out electrical lines to the pool, garage snd such. Then a few years later it surged thru my house and my 2yr old TV went, new coffee maker and more. I really do NOT like the Blinding white light as it hit my yard that time as you could feel the impact on your chest.

I also had a weeping willow tree get hit by the house when i lived on lake erie hahhahaa i made it a topiary afterwards :wink:

My parents home has been struck 3 times on the island in the outer banks. and once it travelled hitting all 5 homes in a row. They get nasty electrical storms that scare the bajeebers out of you.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
:shock: YIKES :shock: Maybe Mom did have the right idea .... lighting the blessed candle, not leaving it burn. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow never heard that about the candle fire in sink - strange things happen

I only use candles when I am in the room and they are on the fireplace mantle well out of reach of wagging tails - dont even do that much anymore due to the allergies - can only do vanilla candles

I have battery operated candles I use now - I guess you could take one of those to the church and have your priest bless that - it'd be a safer way to go I love my bat op candles, I read at nite with a book light and also have my bat candle on nightstand for a little xtra light

I have read so many stories of fires from unattended candles - scary as the storms that cause some people to use candles in the first place

1 - 13 of 13 Posts