Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ugh! :x I hate it when these people who know so little about a type of dog go on tv or write some uneducated article and influence so many people!!!

On our local news this moning this pure bred golden fanatic trainer was on and talking about how bad it is to mix breeds. "the pure breds are bred for consistency... blah blah"

she kept making these totally idiotic comments like "I have seen goldendoodles this size (small) and THIS size (large)... pure breds are bred for consistancy and are much more predictable"

well honestly... havent you seen large goldens and small ones?! I have! and it all depends on the size of the parents!

she also was talking about how people get them because they're supposed to be non-shedding and then "because one parent sheds and the other doesnt, a large portion of the litter will shed". well no not exactly. they might but they might not. and what about the multi-gens and the F1bs? they are much less likely to shed! the she started saying that if you want consistency you should go with a pure bred dog and kept referencing the golden (that sheds!!!). the reality is that many people do not want poodles because they have this fru-fru and yippy idea in their head (that is absolutely wrong) but that doenst mean that people with allergies cannot find a doodle that will suit their needs.

I agree with all of the breeders on this forum that it is never a sure thing that a doodle will not shed, so we dont advocate buying an F1 if you will have health problems etc if there is shedding... but thats no reason not to breed doodles!

then she starts talking about price. "a couple of years ago these dogs were being sold for upwards of $4000, whereas a predictable pure bred should only cost you $1000". i dont know anyone who charges four grand for a regular non-breeding puppy! if they are that IS ridiculous, but definitely not the norm!

she kept saying that she recommends finding a purebred dog that fits your family needs (but i dont WANT and purebred!) :evil: jeeeez! :wink:

and then at the very end she threw in this comment about how people should go to shelters and find homes for dogs that have been picked up because over a thousand dogs are euthanized every day because people dont go pick them. (partly because they're buying pure bred dogs! ha!) what a bad argument! she just went against everything she was saying about how people should get pure breds!

grrr... sorry for the venting... these people are just so ignorant! okay I am done with the exclamation mark now.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kelly,

Believe me, I have gone the rounds with some of these idiots and what I have discovered is that they will never change their minds and that they don't make logical arguments.

So, what I suggest is that you contact your local news and complain that they should not put on such one-sided stories. They should find a good representation from each side...and perhaps show a Doodle along with the Golden and let their viewers decide. They have a duty to present a fair and unbiased story.

I was very proud of Di once...well, more than once, but one time in particular...Di wrote to Dog Fancy magazine and told them that until she could advertise her Labradoodles for sale, she was pulling her ads for her Labs! I thought that was fantastic! She did get some serious attention from them and had a chance to give them feedback too.

Anyway, what I see happening in the future (and I DON'T WANT IT TO) is that the AKC will realize that they are losing a lot of money by shuning these dogs and they will "accept" them into the "club"...for a fee, of course.

I find your indignation very understandable and I am proud of you! :wink:

·
Registered
197 Posts
What i dont understand is that these people seem to forget that all great purebred breeds originated from mixing breeds in the beginning. I just looked it up in my book and I will quote them... the golden retriever was "probably developed through crossings of the bloodhound with unspecified golden-coated dogs belonging to a Russian circus that visisted England in the mid nineteenth century". All breeds began as crosses, and eventually the GD and LD will be a breed just like the rest. This book also stated that the poodle... "it is certain that the poodle is descended from a now nearly extinct French water dog, the barbet". I think these breeders seem to think that some higher being way back produced these different individual breeds, and that they have been pure since the beginning of man kind.

Sorry for going on, but this hits a nerve with me.
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I also use to get un-nerved by these people, but I think what we must realize is it takes all kinds to make the world go around. Us doodle lovers and those well you know... :lol:

I agree with Jac though they really should give both sides of the coin maybe you should contact them if you don't want to talk to them send them my way I can give them both sides fairly. :lol:

And Molly your right they just always fail to leave that part out!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
:lol: Well, Terri Lynn, I don't know if a supreme being stepped in for the other dogs...but I know that "supreme beings" are involved with Doods! :lol:

Yeah...Linda could set them straight! She really knows her stuff!

Don't you sometimes feel like a parent protecting our child from a school bully? :wink: I do!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Way ta go Kelly :!: You're going to be a great Doodle mom :)

G

·
Fox Thing in the morning- Chicago

I was watching Fox thing in the morning the other morning and they were talking about Puggels. The conversation or "report" went on to other cross Breeds and Tamron (the anchor) had a hard time even saying Labradoodle. Not to mention their look of complete bafflement.

You bet I sent her an email, lol.

And they get paid the big bucks...

G

·
I just recently got a F1 labradoodle and am so proud of her. I was struggling with training her to come and knew my neighbor used to train labs (search and rescue, hunting, etc) for a living so I thought what a great way to bond with my neighbor....so I marched over there and explained I had a 5 mo. dog that I couldn't get to come very consistently and knew how experienced he was in training and if he had any suggestions. BOY did he??!!! He gave me this huge ear-ful of how I was ruining the lab breed by owning this mutt and he would have no part of helping anyone who would buy a mutt that is watering down the lab breed. Then at the end of my "lecture" I get his 2 cents worth about me having a wireless fence (I live on a lake and the homeowner's assoc. prevents us from building fences) for my dog and it is purely for people too lazy or stupid to train their dog. wow...I came away so mad...I went home and taught Bailey to stay and come (ok, we are still working on the come part), but I am so motivated to train her now. I have to go to all these homeowner's meetings, etc and see him there and it seems like he is so full of hate towards me and my Bailey. I was speechless and so suprised I didn't even defend myself and Bailey. How do you all handle such judgemental people? He lives right across the road from me.....I refuse to let myself be consumed by negative feelings, but I am struggling!
Cindy

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow

Wowsers Cindy! That's rough having someone so close with so much hate! honestly I dont get how some people can have so much hate for any animal! If they are dog lovers they should not be so concerned. We are not trying to "water down the breed" ... everyone needs to relax.

Maybe you should teach Bailey to pee on his newspaper :shock: ha! just kidding.

Well I have learned a lot from the others on this forum on how to handle these ridiculous people. Honestly unfortunately we will never be able to change some minds... we will just have to go on being the bigger person and letting them fill their lives with totally unnecessary hate and tension.

If I were you I would just kill him with kindness! And you are right to be motivated to get your dog trained so well that he cant help but notice.

Good Luck!

-Kelly

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What a JERK :evil: I feel so bad for you having to live across the street from this person. Steam just pours from both ears when I hear of people like this but I guess the best thing we can do is just let them be and our doodles will prove how wonderful they are. There are more lovers of the Doodle than there are people like your neighbor, thank goodness. He is a very closed minded, full of hatred person that must be very lonely. We raised labs for years and were associated with a very well known trainer, had some of our labs trained by him. When we started raising the Labradoodle, he wanted no association with us whatsoever. His loss!!! I don't need people like that in my life and what we thought were good friends, proved to be biased BUTTS. We will continue to run into people like this but they are few and far between. I have made more and better friendships thru my association with the Labradoodle than anything I have every done in my life and I have never been sorry. Sorry to have ranted but I feel better. Just hold your head up high and continue to be proud of that doodle of yours and welcome to this forum where you are free to express your opinions and love your doodles :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Kelly, we must have been posting our responses at the same time :) I love your suggestion of teaching her doodle to "pee" on the newspaper :wink:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry to hear Kelly, that would be difficult being your neighbor and all. What a jerk. Why are these people so fired up about it. Yes I believe it is ok to have or give an opinnion, but to be told off and lectured, and they all seem to be so unreasonable. As for getting your dog to come: never use come to stop a playing session, Use different command for come close to me (here), and come is for come right to me. make it a game, call you dog while you run away he/she will chase you and love it, than turn around and treat them. Call them and treat out of the blue. Praise also works well. Good luck. Terri

G

·
Thank you so much for your support....I think I will try to overwhelm him with kindness!!! It is so hard...it is in my personality to want people to like me and he so clearly DOESN'T!!! UGH. I am going to train Bailey the best I can and maybe someday he will change his mind!??!!! (or at least keep his negative thoughts to himself)

I love the idea of running and yelling come since she will chase anything that moves right now. I am a little confused about the difference about "come" and having her come to be by my side. Is "come" for just having her come in my general vacinity? She thinks it is just one great big game...she comes over to me and as soon as I reach for her to pet her or put her leash on for a walk, she takes about 8 steps away and thinks this is a great game of "tag!" Truthfully, by the time I do get to her it is hard not to punish her because I get so darn mad at her. Today, my neighbor was out mowing his lawn while this went on and I was so embarrassed. :oops: I will definitely be trying the chase idea tomorrow!

Thanks....you are all so helpful!!! I feel so welcome in this "community!"

·
Registered
11 Posts
On a positive note....Our Jasmine has really sparked an interest in
labradoodles with our vet. We take her to a large Veterinary Hospital
(11 Vets with one ALWAYS on call for emergencies). They know us well,
as they had been treating (and boarding on occasion) our two dogs for the past 14 years. They truly shared our grief when we had to put down our beloved 13-yr-old shar-pei, Beijing, last year and then again when we had to put down her life-long 13-yr-old companion, Beavis, this past September.
Even though my husband had said "No more dogs, I just can't go through this heartbreak again", they were not surprised when I called and made an appointment in October to have our new puppy "checked out". Everyone there was anxious to meet her, as they said they had only had one goldendoodle and one labradoodle as patients thus far, and both were
older rescues. Needless to say, Jasmine was the hit of the office when I brought her in. I was feeling a little anxious about our Vets reaction
however, especially knowing he is very "into" labs. To my surprise,
he couldn't say enough good about her. After a very complete examination of her and the paperwork we brought from the breeder, he
declared her not only adorable but also VERY healthy. He confessed that he didn't know alot about doodles, but also said that the cross of the two breeds makes perfect sense, and after seeing Jasmine he plans to do a little more research. We have had Jasmine back 3 times now and he continues to praise her health, intelligence and temperment.
I think this just goes to show that anyone with an ounce of intelligence
can recognize that the labradoodle is the absolute best of two wonderful
breeds rolled into one beautiful dog!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My vet adores Bella too, and she is only their second Doodle. Every time I call the receptionist asks about her, they treat her like a little princess and she returns the favor by loving them all to pieces.

Cindy, take your pup over to your neighbor's lawn and leave little gifts. When he complains, explain that you disabled your electric fence just as he suggested...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts