Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coal gained 8.3 lbs in 3 weeks people!!! He is 14 weeks old and 21.5lbs. This is very shocking to me and when I heard what he weighed I asked the vet immediately if he was overweight! She said that by no means did he qualify as being overweight and that he just must have gone through a growth spurt! This is my first dog and I am amazed by how quickly he is growing. My husband comes home from work some days and actually says, "Coal grew while I was gone today". I thought he was joking but at the rate this guy is growing, I guess maybe it's true! :shock:

I just thought of something..... in a thread a while back, didn't someone say that you can take their weight at 4 months and double it and add 5-10lbs to determine their likely weight when full grown? Yikes, Coal won't be 4 months until 2/23 and by that time he will be at least 25 lbs.....double that 50......add 5-10lbs.......55-60lbs?!?!!! I was expecting 45lbs! Not that it matters in the least but do y'all think he will be like 60 lbs???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Stacy,

60 is actually not that heavy for a male. I have two standard females, one weighs about 55-60 lbs, the other 60-65 lbs. Neither are overweight or tall. Their parents weren't tall either.

Since Coal's a male I would expect him to surpass 60 lbs easily, unless he's a medium?

Michael.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Michael,
Well, Coal is a F1B and his mom and dad weigh 45lbs so I guess I just never thought he would be larger than that. Like I said, I don't care what size he ends up but it is just interesting to watch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You normally will notice that they will grow like a weed for a few weeks, then it seems like they stopped for a month or two, then another growth spurt.
I keep getting scared that Boone has stopped growing, but I know he hasn't really...he's just waiting on a spurt.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Stacy,

A 45 lbs Male labradoodle would be a medium sized (see the breed standard: http://labradoodle-dogs.net/labradoodle-information.php - the lower limit for Standard Size LD Males is 55lbs) I don't have much experience with mediums, but in general if you're saying both his parents weigh 45lbs, Coal will likely end up weighing pretty much the same.

Our LDs too had growth spurts like this. They'd easily gain 3 lbs in a week at that age. It's amazing how fast they grow! :)
Then again, they're supposedly "adults" at 1-2 years, so they have to cramp what humans do in 18 years, into 1-2 years ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hyde was 21 pounds at 14-15 weeks, he is 9 months now and 60 pounds, but really tall, i dont have to bend over to pet him anymore.

I also have another puppy, not a labradoodle, a lab/golden mix and he is only 11 weeks and he is already 21 pounds, i think he might be a monster in size, he is the largest of the litter.

I just love watching them grow! Sounds like your baby could be around 60 too, but they all grow differntly too. My older Lab stopped growing at 9 months, and I believe Hyde is still growing cause everyone keeps telling me he looks bigger.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You know, my puppy, Biscuit just went through a growth spurt. He gets 3 cups of food a day and he was still hungry. He was chewing on his bowl after feed time. My husband and I kept laughing because you could not keep food in his dish. He would eat everything. He gained 4 lbs since his last weigh in at the vet. He is 14 wks. and weighs about 24 lbs. But, I have noticed he's not eating as much this week. Good!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sawyer weighed 35 lbs. at 16 weeks. Everyone thinks he will be huge because he seems to have enormous paws, but I think they are mostly fluffy. I'm thinking he will be 70-80 lbs. When do they usually stop growing?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Stacy, Toby's mother was the lab and she was only 42 lbs. He weighed in this a.m at 52.8 and he won't be 6 months until tomorrow. We'll see......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cinnamon was 14 months on the 16th of Jan and she now wieghs 60 lbs on the dot. Both her parents were 50 lbs or so, so I was surprised. She is not overwieght. Pure chewing machine. Cin stopped growing at 8 months. There is a comercial locally about a carpet cleaning comany where the "customer" tells us that she has an "84 lb labradooldle" and when I heard that I thought "WHAT!?" :shock: I'm really glad Cin didn't get that big! :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fred is 73 pounds and tall--eye level for him is just above the top of the dining room table. His parents were each about 50 pounds, so I was surprised how big he got. Big dogs are a lot of fun though-- great to hug--and they do a great job at warming up the bed--which is a big plus in upstate NY. Fred's latest trick is to run upstairs just before I'm ready to go to bed, and take up the whole bed. He will leave me a little sliver of space and then acts as if he is fast asleep when I try to get him to move over.

Ronnie

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chester was dwarfed at the dog park the other day. He was next to a 153 lb Irish Wolfhound and a Great Dane. He's no slouch at 95lbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I love hearing stories of your "BIG" babies. Max is 4 months and 25 pounds. I can't wait to see what a "BIG" boy he's gonna be!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Boone turns 5 months on the 29th of february, and he's 40lbs now. Be afraid, be very afraid!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Amazing stuff! I was surprised at how fast they grow too.

One thing you might want to watch for is growing pains...yes, they do get them.

Sometimes they cry out, they move slowly (like old folks!) and their feet get shaky.

That didn't happen to my smaller doods (45-55 lbs) but the 70 lb Poodle had them and my still-growing Goldendoodle has growing pains. I suspect that the ones growing large, will have the pains. My vet verified that it is growing pains, he said you can feel their growth plates and know how big they will get...well, I can't, but HE can!

One of my puppies is growing fast like that too...his new owner wants me to fly with him to AZ. I bought the tickets a week and a half ago, when he weighed 10 lbs, "Yes...he will fit in a carrier under the seat," I said.

Last week he weighed 19.12 lbs! Our carrier is as large as they come, for a 22 lb dog...I am worried that by next Saturday, he won't be able to fly with me! I am going to have to scrunch him in, then sneak him onto my lap as soon as we take off!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Jac, are you going to be in AZ for any real length of time or are you just hanging out at the airport for a short layover? It sure would be fun to meet you! Are you flying in to Sky Harbor Airport?

G

·
Hi Stacy! I will be staying the night with the new family to help ease Max into his new surroundings. I leave for home on an early morning flight on Sunday...I'd LOVE to meet you...let me see what I can do!
(Heck, if I can't fit Max under my seat, I may not be flying afterall!)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OH MY GOODNESS!! Coal went to the vet yesterday (he is 4 months today) and he weighed 29.6lbs!!!!!!!!!!! He's gained another 8 lbs in a 3 week period! So I am figuring I am going to end up with a 60 pound doggie! What do y'all think? The vet said he is not fat and he looks terrific. We are DONE with our shots which is WONDERFUL! Coal is the greatest at the vet. He wags his tail happily no matter what terrible thing is happening to him and he just lays quietly on the table while the exam is going on. The vet commented on how good he is. After the vet gave him 3 shots :shock: Coal just wagged his tail and licked the vet's face. Very sweet doggie. Now if he will just stop digging holes in my yard :( Monday is neutering day so wish us luck with that!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Stacy, I just saw Coal's 16 week pics.... what a gorgeous guy! His coat must feel so fabulous! He should be at least 60 lbs. I love big dogs, don't you? They are so sporty. We are thinking Sawyer will be about 75-80 lbs.

Good Luck with the neutering surgery. Sawyer just had his yesterday and he is doing great. He weighed in at 45.6 lbs. yesterday and he is 22.5 weeks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow Susana! He IS gonna be a big guy (and he is very handsome I might add). So the surgery wasn't too big of a deal for Sawyer? I hope it all goes well for Coal. Yes, I am happy that it is looking like Coal will be bigger than we had anticipated. It is always a good thing to have a big black dog at your house for safety! We all know that Coal wouldn't hurt a fly but it's good to keep the bad guys guessing! :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts