Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doc has a generally stinky smell coming from his back end, under his tail. I've been washing the area a couple of times a day to try to get rid of the smell. I've trimmed the hair short too. I don't understand why he smells. I've never had a dog smell like that before. It's not really a poop smell, but it's an unpleasant smell. His poops are solid so, it's not like he's getting anything smeared on there. Could it possibly be the anal glands? He's 13 months old. Is that too young to have blocked anal glands? I've never had a dog that needed to have his unblocked before, but, I've heard of them needing it.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Kim

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I have not had this problem with my Doodle as of yet, but I did have it with one of my male cats, had to have the glands unblocked. Call your vet and get some piece of mind for yourself.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i had a beagle once whose anal glands had to be expressed every couple of months. the smell was kindof a sour, musty odor. we could always tell it was time to take her to the vet because she would start scooting along the floor on her butt. eventually i learned how to express the glands myself. i would suggest you take him to the vet so you can figure out whether this is the problem, and then they can show you how to express the glands yourself.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If it is a fishy smell it is the anal glands, but if stools are firm they should be OK, it happens with some dogs who constantly have soft stools.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I haven't noticed any scooting, but, it is kind of a sour smell. When I take him in my room at bedtime, I can smell it from across the room even. It's yucky! I guess another visit to the vet is in order. I found a website that showed how to express the glands and I tried it, but, nothing came out. I might not have done it right, or that isn't the problem. :?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
kim I sure don't envy you as I think i'll stick with Max's occaissional SBD;s

It does sound like anal glands. Let us know when you find out.
In the meantime want to borrow my fabreeze? :wink:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Movistar - WHAT? :shock: Me or the dog? Did you read my age on the fess up post? And, if you meant Doc, he's a boy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Annmarie - Thanks for the offer, but, I don't like the smell of Febreeze either! :D Hmmm, maybe Movistar is right. Maybe I should go get a pregnancy test. I was very sensitive to smells when pregnant too. :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
kim26 said:
Movistar - WHAT? :shock: Me or the dog? Did you read my age on the fess up post? And, if you meant Doc, he's a boy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
lol I meant you and I did read the age post guess I still have no memory ;) (I can hide my own easter eggs ya know!)

ok now trying to think of another possible solution ;) :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KIM notice MOVISTAR said she is good at hiding them. HOWEVER nowhere did she mention that she is able to find them hahhahhaa

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
last year the last egg was found about a month later when we were packing to move. you would think one of the great hunter dogs I have coulda helped me out a little ;)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When will I learn to not drink coffee while reading this forum!! :shock: I thought I was safe with anal gland expressing...ewwww....but no, as always a comedy routine, and there goes the coffee, out the nose! :wink:

Good luck Kim with Doc's problem, and congrats on the pregnancy!! :lol: :shock: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
NOTICE how us 40-50somethings here start on one topic and somehow manage to get to another and even sometimes forget what was originally posted?
hahhahhahhaaa!!! ohhh CRS gotta love it! :wink:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys crack me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Annmarie - I think I'm missing something....what's CRS? :? Or should I ask! :shock: :?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
kim26 said:
You guys crack me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Annmarie - I think I'm missing something....what's CRS? :? Or should I ask! :shock: :?
ok to keep it real clean

CRS Can't Remember Somthing

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
GREAT KIM ...congrats honey!! hahaha

NOW the question is does MOVISTAR get it? :roll: :wink: :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
well as I am desperately hanging onto my 30's (for about two years and two weeks longer ;)) I didnt know CRS either. however as I type I kinda had to think real hard to remember what you said it was! I think I should fight the head cold with more sleep and less typing ;) :)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Annmarie
You are so right. Do you know how many times I have to scroll the page to see what the heck the subject started off as.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts