Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know we have recently adopted 2 year old siblings, Lizzie and Louie! We are learning more about doodles each day. My questions--do most of you have your dogs professionly groomed ? Do you have them clipped ? How often to you bath them ? So far I have been giving baths every couple of weeks--and brushing nearly every day. These guys don't seem to shed--their coats are very soft a wavy. So far no mats. However here in Michigan we have been getting tons of rain, and they are always dirty it seems. Louies beard is always a mess--They look pretty scruffy most of the time--but oh so cute! I love the natural look, so don't think I would be inclined to do much cutting--maybe a little triming. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a professional grooming now and then ?? Would love some opinions on this. Thanks--Kathy, Lizzie and Louie

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Kathy :) It sounds like your doodles are pretty easy maintenance as far as no matting goes. The only thing you might need to take them to the groomers for is to have their face trimmed. If you are good with a pair of scissors and your Doodles enjoy you brushing them, you might be able to do that yourself. Some people like to keep the beard shorter so they don't dribble water throughout the house after getting a drink and then some Doodles will need to be trimmed around the eyes so they can see better but these really just depend on what you like. You can also trim the hair on the bottom of their feet, this will help with tracking in the mud, etc. As for a bath, you don't want to bathe them too often as this can dry their skin out and take away their natural oil. I would just bathe when they really get dirty. A good brushing in between helps to keep them clean. Good luck and have fun :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Kathy,
I live in Michigan too (Rochester). After our walks I often dip Kylee's paws in a bucket of slightly soapy water when her feet get muddy. It tracks in a lot less dirt and is quick to do. Kylee already knows the routine when she sees me coming with the bucket! I really only bathe her every other month or so, but tend to wipe her beard with a wash cloth as needed. I get her professionally groomed about 3 times a year. In fact, she was groomed this week and looks really short right now. No one in the family likes the way she looks the first month after grooming, but she will look a lot better by Christmas. If I don't get her groomed she gets very matted, even though I try really hard to keep up on the brushing, (she has a tighter curl, more like a poodle). I just love the fact that she doesn't have the "doggy odor" that some other dogs do!

Charlene

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So...Charlene are you tired of the rain yet? We are near Holland..and have gotten record amounts of rain. Dirty paws have really been a challenge at our house. Hve tried the bucket of water thing--however the family also includes Bingo (our loveable 14 year old Benji look-alike) and Shelby my daughters dog- who visits every day ( a 80 lb. rottie mix). They all play in our fenced in acre--when they all come in--thats alot of paws ! So..we are just learning to live with it, and clean and sweep up after them endlessly! We call it "doodle dust" Also praying for a few days of dry weather ! They are learning to stand while I wipe off there paws-and that helps alot! Also--I've discovered baby wipes for the beards work really well. Now if I could just train them to quit drinking out of the toilet-or to train my family to but the lids down--all would be well.---Kathy

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
we have had our share of rain here in southern illinois. I have towels all over the carpet from the door where they all come in to the livingroom. at night I hang the towels up on the dining chairs to dry and start over in the morning. seems to help with both water and dirt quite a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, Kathy, I am tired of the rain. Planted bulbs at the church this morning and nearly froze my fingers off as the rain turned to snow showers! Kylee didn't even want to go out to pee today because it's so bad. She is definitely a "house dog". She loves to play in the snow, catching snowballs in the air, but she hates rain!

I was hoping you lived closer. A woman recently approached me when I was walking Kylee and asked me if she was a Labradoodle. I said, "Yes, I'm surprised you recognized her, because most people ask me what type of dog she is." She then proceeded to tell me that when she was at a dog park recently, there was a doodle romp going on, and tons of them running around. Well.... I didn't even know where this park was (it's actually close to my house) and I have no idea how to get in touch with these other doodle owners. I've only noticed one other person from Michigan on this forum. I would love to get together with some other doodle owners in Oakland County.

Charlene

G

·
Charlene,
I did a google search and I think maybe I found the rompers for you!
I know it says Goldendoodles, but the posts all say Doodle Romps. These dates have passed already, but you could contact Andrea to see when the next one is planned. If you go to one, we want pictures!!! :lol:
Southeast Michigan Romps are held at Orion Oaks Bark Park on the 3rd Sunday of every month at 2:00pm. The next romps are August 20 and September 17, 2006. Contact is Andrea S. at [email protected]
http://www.goldendoodlestuff.com/communitynews.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Kathy,
You are right, this seems to be the dog park described to me recently... and it's only 15 minutes from my home! I guess I never thought to google for doodle romps. I'm going to e-mail Andrea to find out when the next one will take place. I am learning a lot on this forum! :wink:

Thanks again for passing that info on to me!
Charlene

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK Linda.... you must think I'm a TOTAL IDIOT! Sorry for addressing you as Kathy! :oops: I just realized you must be the "other Michigan" person I've been seeing on the forum. So sorry.... I apologize for the mix-up... I'm not always this confused - honest! :lol:

Charlene

·
Registered
260 Posts
hi linda and charlene,

i live in ann arbor MI, and i'd love to hear more about the southeast MI doodle romp if you are able to get more information! my doodle kumo is 8 months old, and would love to meet some new doodle friends.

-emilee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kylee's_Mom said:
I've only noticed one other person from Michigan on this forum. I would love to get together with some other doodle owners in Oakland County.
I'm in Michigan. We live in Genesee County, but Bud rides great in the car and would love a romp. Oakland County isn't too far, depending on where the park is.

G

·
Hi Everyone!
I was just browsing the thread and found the doodle romp for Charlene by using Google :lol:
I live in NJ, so a romp in MI would be a hike!
But if you go, we want pictures!!!! :lol:
Linda

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Linda,
How kind of you to go through the trouble of finding a doodle romp for me in Michigan when you live in New Jersey! I guess that would be a bit too far for you to travel. You have been more than kind. :) THANKS again!

Charlene

1 - 14 of 14 Posts