Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

quick question: Max is wavy coat doodle going to get groomed at petsmart for the 1st time. they are dying to trim him a tad.

OK, i've heard stories before is there anything I should know or be warned about???
I did tell them do NOT make him look like a poodle as I like the scruffy doodle look and it is cold and snowy now.

he's also losing puppy downy like soft fuzz...very little hair shedding though. I brush him 3 times a week.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would tell them don't trim his ears (they seem to grow back a little slower), shape the feet (not shave) and scissor trim his body. It is possible they may not be able to scissor trim (they may not have the skill) if they do then awesome, if not start calling poodle parlors. It just seems to me trying to blade cut results in too short and too inconsistent looking. I would also ask then to blend the face with the body and I would give them a number like say 3/4" -1-1/2" to take off everywhere so they dont go crazy. Besides that if you see a picture of a doodle with a cut you like I would print the picture and take it with you. Dont be shy and dont hesitate to say what you want. They welcome the direction. :)

(Can you tell I have had a few bad cuts??!!)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks so much blueteal and movistar.

I think I am only going to let them trim his feet and under his chin only.

yeah a nervous mom here hahhahahahaa

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gene said:
annmarie, i was so nervous also. i only let them do under feet. nails, and inner ear......oh yeah, hinney too :oops:
hhahahaha thanks Gene ...forget about the other end :shock:

And it's hard to believe how Max became my 4th child/baby now. I swore i would NOT be like other people who act like their dog is their baby. Come on they're dogs after all....yeah right!!!
I am in love totally and get reminded by my teenagers and fiance " mom, you treat him as if he's a real baby" heh heh heh

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
my cousin always drops the "reminder" with me when i put off doing something with her, but i feel guilty that he's in the "whale" when i'm not home. right now my mom's in the hospital because of her fall. she needs to get into a therapy center to regain some muscle, etc. the only way medicare will pay is if she has a hospital stay for 3 days. has made Jonah time a well needed and enjoyed escape! :) oh yeah, and there's that holiday in retail thing too! :roll: But, i've got my Santa hat and moose ears to brighten those holiday shoppers moods :shock: . got a pair for Jonah, hopefully when my family comes tomorrow, we'll have a pic of the too of us. you all can photoshop me out if you need too :p

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have taken Frankie to Petsmart 2 times now and it really depends on the girl who cuts them. The last girl that did cut his hair, did a great job, so I requested her again. I try to take him there, just to clean him up, and get the nails done and a clean up. Tell them you want him just trimmed all over, because you want him a little shaggy, and tell them to leave the ears longer. Max will look great when he is done!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow ....you do don't know HOW MUCH I appreciate your input!!!
and so timely, Max goes at 6pm tonight

hahhaha here I am sitting thinking I don't want Max to get butchered like I did last week. My hairdresser kinda of cut my hair shorter than ususal, added layers and used thinning shears. NEVER EVER get your haircut when stressed out!!! hahhahahhaaaa ohhhhh boy at my age you'd think i'd know better :roll:

Let's say everyone says OH you're hair grows fast ....maybe a hint it doesn't look good? hahhahhaa it has provided many laughs in this house. and i laugh too. :lol:

BUT I think i'd cry if Max got butchered like me :wink:

G

·
I took Boyd to Petsmart for his first grooming last Saturday and I was VERY nervous. I told them I wanted him to look exactly the same but with shorter hair - no poodle look. He came out cute as a button. They did have to cut the hair a little shorter on his head b/c of some mats and he looked kinda poofy b/c of the blow drying but he "shook out." :) My hubbie even put a tad bit of his hair gel on Boyd to return the "Rod Stewart" look! :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I have had Dexter trimmed at Petsmart once (he is going again this weekend). Since he's a puppy, they have this package where they'll trim his face hair...so they only cut around his eyes. This time I'm going to ask them if they'll give him a little trim on the top of his head and his beard and not cut around his eyes too short. Last time the cut around his eyes was a bit short for my liking...I like when he looks a little shaggier :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it's 9:15pm and Max is home from getting groomed at Petsmart. He sure made them work hard for their money.

They told us to come back in 2 1/2hrs...we did and they were far from done.
What a sight 3 girls sincerely exhausted and then lauging so hard with Max acting like a Mexican jumping bean. He was jumping on their backs :shock: and everything else he could think of. We were outside watching and cracking up.

For me he sits sooooooo still---go figure

Luckily he looks good but my fiance says he has ***** feet now hahhaaa Max's paws do look tiny....he is now sulking at my feet and refuses to acknowledge us at all. :cry:
When Max cools off i'll get a picture of him.

Tomorrow, another doodle mom is coming here for the 1st time with her 8mo old doodle to meet and play with Max.
Should be interesting as I was told i may want to make sure breakables are put away and her doodle eats everything in sight.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Oh Annmarie, that image just cracks me up! You're a good story teller. :lol: I can't wait to see a picture of him.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, just how long does a doodle hold a grudge?

(then again if I was a boy smelling poofy and my feet looking ***** I guess i wouldn't be too happy either)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
hopefully the other doodle won't laugh at max and sink him further into depression!

I had to put a sweater on my 7 pound poodle after a groom for him to begin to act normal. I think he was embarrassed :) He would hide and pout until the sweater went on.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Pictures are always a good idea when going to the groomer. So many of them have never trimmed a doodle so if you find a picture of a Doodle that you like the look, cut it out and take it with you.

We're all anxious to see pics. He'll be all handsome for his playdate tomorrow :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here's Max after the groomer

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Very handsome, I think he likes it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts