Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you trim the hair from your dog's eyes?

Bailey just had her first mini grooming. They trim the hair around her pee and poop parts. Then, we asked them to trim the hair around her eyes. At least she can see now. We just wonder if she likes it better or would rather have the hair in her eyes. Wish dogs could talk! We really wanted to keep her wooly everywhere else.

Also, the groomer plucked her ear hair. I read another thread on that in here. Seems to be about a 3-way split between 1) leave it alone, 2) trim it short, and 3) have vet/groomer pluck it.

She'll be 6 months on Saturday and is going in on Thursday to be spayed.

Here's a couple of pictures after her grooming...

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Bailey is so sweet!!!!!!! I don't know what to tell you as far as grooming is concerned...we haven't had Raleigh groomed yet....his coat is wavy and scruffy at the same time..not like Baileys....I don't think I would trim around his eyes, because I like that 'look'...I'd like his 'bangs' to grow like Jonahs.....we used to have Old English Sheepdogs, and they could see just fine....
You've got a beautiful doodle Zman!

Kathie, Raleigh & Molly :D :twisted: :?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Very cute! She looks great...and I think she looks happy!

I trim the hair around my dog's eyes...sometimes. Only if I think it is getting actually in their eyes.
But, I am getting ready to trim them all...fairly short for the coming warm weather!

Trimming the ol' poop chute is always important at our house! Dogs hate it, but I hate it worse when we get...well, you know...

Ear hair I never pluck. Many do, it is a personal choice. My vet said that if the hair grows into the ear canal it is more important to pluck. Our dogs have it only at the opening...but it gets thick. If it looks matted, I will trim it with sissors but the ear hair has actually stopped other things from going in...like sticks and twigs and things. So, I opt for the ear hair.

The main reason to clean it out is so that the ears will dry out and not get infection. I use ear cleaner and powder and it all works well.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Zman...that face says it all....she loves it!! I can't bring myself to trim Jonah's hair over his eyes....makes him look mysterious!! :wink: About shaving around the "pee and poop parts" :oops: parts, we need to do that again soon!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Did they also trim around her feet? They look nice and uniform. Dante's "toe" hair is getting so long it's hard to find his toenails to clip. I've been wondering if I should be trimming the hair on his toes at all? It might help keep him from tracking so much into the house.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
momoftwo said:
Did they also trim around her feet? They look nice and uniform.
Yes. They trimmed around the edges of her feet and trimmed the hair between the pads on her feet. They did a great job. We were very emphatic that they not shave her feet as we do not like that look.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
thank you

Thank you Martha and Tom for the article with pictures on grooming!!! I will take it with me to my groomer when I finally get Coco done.

She gets her last shots and rabies tomorrow, so I will have her groomed a couple weeks later. I am anxious to see how she looks when done by a professional. I just bathe and brush her.

Thanks again, very helpful!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Beautiful Bailey!!

ZMan, Bailey is just gorgeous!! I think her trim is great! I wonder if they left a little more eyebrow hanging but not into her eyes??? Did you see the article on grooming that Martha sent?

Gene, thanks for the new photo of Jonah and Miko. I couldn't find one of Miko the other day. I am still learning how to find things on here .....
I just love Doodles!! 8)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks, Gene, I have seen them all now!!! I wish we had snow.....Winter here in Texas seems over now....we have had truly spring weather now for awhile.....those wormy, pithy, pollen things from the oak trees are balling up like tumbleweed around here....Coco gets covered in them and I sneeze and get itchy eyes....SNOW would be more fun! at least, for a little while.
thanks again for aiming me in the right direction for the photos.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Snows great, but when it melts....turns to mud which in turn turns to dust which means more housework for the man who is anti=housework! I'm kidding....it's not a pig sty....most of the time anyway! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
BAILEY is gorgeous!!! i love how she is trimmed and also looks so soft too!

When max's feet were clipped along with his beard it took forever to grow back. no one in this house wants me to trim his bangs. Sof or now they win BUT if his hair goes INTO his eyes then it gets trimmed.

I also trim the rear part and underside of the beard. Then again max is the coarser wavy textured coat that doesn't need much maintainence.

And GENE buddy i hear you loud and clear! When snow melts i then have 6 acres of mud and puddles till it stays warm and dry. I also have to sweep daily and mop once a week with daily touch up moppings. Having tiled and laminate floors isn't hard though to keep up. I took out 2000 sq ft of carpeting before i got doodles---thank heavens too!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Beautiful Bailey!!

cocoandjane said:
...I think her trim is great! I wonder if they left a little more eyebrow hanging but not into her eyes??? Did you see the article on grooming that Martha sent?
We were happy with her trim. I do kinda wish they would have left more 'eyebrow' just not hanging in the eyes. The eyes was a tough decision for us. We do like the shaggy look.

Beard - they did take some length off her beard at our request, but she still drips like a soggy rag after getting a drink. Think we'll just learn to live with that part.

Just saw Martha's article with the pictures. It was great. I'd seen it before and need to save it somewhere I can find it for next grooming trip - maybe in about 6 months. Of course, I could use the search feature in here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts