Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am ready for some expert advice. My girls are 5 months old and fairly well behaved aside from the puppy pouncing anytime they come in or new people come in the house. I think the jumping up is slowly but surely being improved upon with some consistent "no" and occasional light nose tapping.
They are currently sleeping in a crate together. They are 2 of a litter of 15 puppies so being alone is not something they really enjoy. We'd like to let them sleep elsewhere but are nervous about the potty issue. They stay outside a lot during the day with several inside breaks. They are in every evening and all night. Rare potty problems during these inside times. When is it safe to begin allowing them to sleep out of their crate?
Next question about grooming. My Frenchie is a woolly coat F1b doodle. She is really fluffy after a bath and brushing. I'm wondering when would be the best time to have her first grooming. I'd like her to get (I think) a 'sanitary cut' to cut down on the tag alongs she brings in the house with her all the time. We're worried about disturbing and possibly altering the beautiful coat she has. She hasn't 'blown' her coat yet.
AND....what about obedience class. Worth the time and money? What age?
Wow, sorry to be so wordy! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I can't help you on the grooming issue, Cinnamon has pretty sparse hair, but obedience class is a must. You won't believe the difference in their behavior with people, and other dogs, at home and away. I'm for obedience classes for every dog no matter what breed! :!:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am no expert by any means, but - our 5 1/2 old pup has been sleeping on the floor of our bedroom, with the crate door open, for several months. No problems with potty accidents because that is her sleeping spot.

I think the obedience classes are worth the time and expense. But check out the instructor before you sign up. We are presently taking classes at Petsmart and both Sadie (the dog) and I are not fond of the instructor. I took puppy preschool classes at Petsmart years ago and they were great. It really depends on the instructor. If I were to do it again, I would ask to observe a class with the instructor before signing up. I paid $120 for the classes, so I am sticking with it, but I'm not happy with her, at least so far.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Yes, yes, yes on puppy classes!! Dakota just graduated and will be going on to intermediate, advanced and maybe clicker training. I love both of the instructors, but it is worth checking them out first. I'm aiming Dakota for agility training but he must be under complete control first!!
Diane

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can't help with the grooming question except to say my doods coats are still changing.... they're 9 months old.

I also have littermates who were/are crated together. They are also outside most of the day and come in in the evening. They now sleep in our bedroom at night. But this is a fairly recent development (about 4 weeks). In our case, two doods of the same age are extremely creative at mischief. Though they are both reliable with respect to potty training, one of them still loves to look around and find something lovely to chew on. She is lately specializing in tv remotes and, as always, mom's shoes. So when George and Gracie are in our bedroom at night, they are both tethered. This arrangement has worked out well, for now, though I'm eager for them to graduate to freedom. But, honestly, I'm not foreseeing this happening soon. Gracie will take an $80.00 pair of Clark's and reduce them to shreds in a matter of minutes. Meanwhile, when they're in the house during the day, and I can't watch them, they're crated together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the dogs go in the crate with out a problem why hurry to get them out. Our's loves his crate and we plan to use for as long as possible. The comfort of putting him in there when we go out is worth the effort. We give him his Kong and he stays busy for quite some time. I am not a big fan of putting dogs of any age in situations where they can cause a problem (chew expensive shoes) or get hurt (choke on expensive shoes). We have his crate in our room so he sleeps with us and we can hear him if he needs to go out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We've had a few nights in our room with the crate door open. So far, no interest in getting into the crate and NO accidents. (Hope I haven't spoken too soon!) However, Duncan, our 5yr old lab has left our room. He has been sleeping in our room nearly every night since we got him 4yrs ago. I hope the girls aren't too much for him. I suppose time will tell and I hope the girls will be able to venture out or Duncan will learn to tolerate them.

ANYWAY....any help with the grooming???!!

Here's an idea of what Ms. Frenchie looks like...ain't she just soooo cute?!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey Newtimer! I agree about the crate thing. I totally believe that it is our job to keep our doods from getting into trouble. The only reason I want the doods out of the crate is that the crate is HUGE. I can't move it around the house, or afford to buy another one, so as an alternative, we tether sometimes. But I really believe that until they are completely reliable it's my responsibility if they get into anything they shouldn't.

On another note: For reasons I cannot explain, Grace, who as I said before will chew on almost anything in the house, will go in my car (which has leather seats) and never get into anything! Go figure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts