Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Fargo, ND!

I am pretty new to the Labradoodle forum and am enjoying all the good information! I am planning on purchasing a labradoodle puppy late spring/early summer. I am curious how much grooming is required of a labradoodle? Will regular brushing do, or will I need to get my dog trimmed regularly by a professional groomer? Also, can the type of caot the dog will have as an adult be determined when it is time to select a puppy?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Sheila

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Grooming...that depends on the doodle. Some require almost daily brushing and professional grooming. Some with coats more like labs may or may not shed but don't require as much grooming. Coats of the F1b that are poodley can mat and may require more effort.

I would suggest you use the search feature at the top of this page...

use search words like

grooming, shedding, brushing, grooming products, groomers etc. More than enough to keep you busy reading until you get your doodle.

Or like me you can just go into it blindly and take the good with the bad. Tanner has a lovely personality, beautiful soft eyes, doesn't shed but he does require brushing at least every 3 days and professional grooming about every 6 weeks.

Good luck...it is such fun to anticipate getting a doodle..you will love them.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi Sheila

Welcome !

As Annie said, it depends on the doodle. I have an F1B, Annabelle, who does Not shed, I brush her every couple of days to keep her from getting matted and we trim her about every 2-3 months depending, keep her longer in winter.

I went with an F1B as they are less likely to shed than and F1 and I wanted a non-shedding dog, but there is no true guarantee on the shedding as genetics can do what they want sometimes :).

There are some great breeders on this forum, if they dont have the pup you are looking for or are to far away for you, they may know of a breeder closer to you that does

Good luck, look forward to seeing your new pup in the spring !

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Great advice already............
It really does depend on the dog, mine is an F1 that has
a very short mostly wirey coat and requires no grooming
I have always brushed him just so he would be used to it.
He swims a lot so he picks up a lot of sand, but other then that
he is pretty much a wash and go Doodle.............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts