Labradoodle Forums banner

Grooming, Again!

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  lieverdmom 
#1 ·
I took Chouette to Petsmart again for grooming yesterday; she badly needed it when we got back from France. Her left ear had issues and she was very shaggy; I could barely see her eyes!

But I don't think those people know any other cut but a short poodle trim. The groomer told me she was full of mats and knots and she'd have to take her down fairly short. That's the same thing the same groomer told Rowdie's person, who's also from this area, and remembering that, I had brushed Chouette thoroughly the day before until there were no mats or snags. So I protested that I'd just checked her and she was fine. The groomer ran her fingers through her coat and came up with a small tangle and used that to prove her point that she was matted. She said that if I tried to run a comb through her I'd see, but even when she used a large-toothed comb through her coat to demonstrate she only came up with one snag. However, it didn't seem worth arguing about. I think they're real one-note Johnnies and I'll have to find someplace else for next time because I really don't care for the short poodle look.

Tony says she's gorgeous. I had told him I was going to instruct them not to put bows in this time but he said he liked them, so she's all fancied up! And she looks pretty, as always, but I really prefer the shaggier look. Both DH and son seem to like this version, though.

At least this groomer was kinder to her, but the ear hair pulling really upsets her and her hind legs were shaking. I felt horrible since I've never seen her shake before, but her left ear badly needed attention because it's been really foul in spite of my cleaning it with a variety of substances like alcohol, vinegar and peroxide. The petsitter had said that she had something to treat her ear with, because I first noticed it the day I brought her over there before we left, but when I got her back her ear was worse. Still, the sitter seemed very nice and Chouette was fine aside from that, so I'd use her again if I needed to.

Do any of you pull the hair out of the ears yourselves? I'm not sure why she's having this problem; I'm feeding her Canidae and I don't think any of her treats have corn. I'll have to check that out to be sure, though.

Here's the groomed version of Chouette La Chienne:

and here's a relieved Chou after the photo session was over:

Leslie

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm looking forward to pictures! :D

As far as the ear hair goes, I plucked once after hearing it was good to do it to help keep the moisture from building up in their ears. I felt bad about it since I could tell Cali wasn't thrilled about it. Now I try to trim her face under the ear flap so there's a little more air circulation that way. So far, we've kept the ear infections at bay with routine ear washes.

I'll be curious to hear what others have to say about ear hair.

#4 ·
OMG she looks absolutely adorable!!!! I know you wanted the shaggy look, but I personally think she looks great.

We have 1 girl at the Petsmart in Holmdel we go to and will not use anyone at any other Petsmart. We have had 3 bad experiences everytime we tried someplace or someone else.

Ah - we do not pluck the ear hair. Kirby doesn't really have much and Dexter is very sensitive about it because of all the infections he had as a little puppy. Once every few months we let the vet check it out and if it's too long we let them yank it out.

#5 ·
It kind of depends on the dog some you have no choice to pluck but others cleaning does the trick.The more hair I feel the worse the problem is at least with mine. I don't pluck the ones that don't have problems but do the ones that have them. I also trim away any hair on the outside of the canal which also helps like Calimom's does.

On the grooming issue you will probably have to find someone that scissors cuts and does it well, (and most groomers don't and if you find one that does you will pay more) usually someone that is use to doing Poodles or long hair breeds. What I have been doing with mine since I like the longer look is I shaved them down like your Chou is now, and keep them brushed then I add an extension on my clippers so that it does not clip them down short, but there can'tbe any mats or this does not work. I can scissors cut my own but trust me not ever like someone who knows how to do it, that's why I started doing it this way.

#6 ·
First off...she looks beautiful! That is about the length that I have Tanner trimmed to.

Regarding the ears, one of our earlier groomers pulled the ear hair out without being asked to. That was about 4 months ago and we have not done it since.

I use Natural Care Ear Relief Wash and Ear Relief Dry (recommended by Jac). Tanner really likes his ears cleaned with it..makes them feel and smell great. We also have the groomer trim under his ears leaving sort of a channel for air circulation. If he gets wet, I use these two products on a large cotton square and really mop up any moisture that is in his ears.

#7 ·
annieG said:
First off...she looks beautiful! That is about the length that I have Tanner trimmed to.

Regarding the ears, one of our earlier groomers pulled the ear hair out without being asked to. That was about 4 months ago and we have not done it since.

I use Natural Care Ear Relief Wash and Ear Relief Dry (recommended by Jac). Tanner really likes his ears cleaned with it..makes them feel and smell great. We also have the groomer trim under his ears leaving sort of a channel for air circulation. If he gets wet, I use these two products on a large cotton square and really mop up any moisture that is in his ears.
Annie, where do you get the Natural Care Ear Relief Wash and Dry? Do any of the usual dog supply places that are recommended here carry it?

I'm getting more used to Chou's new look, but I do like shaggy and also I don't like to have her look so drastically different at different times. I'd prefer it if she had the same general appearance all the time. That said, this is a great cut for the summer. We had no idea that she had so much velvet under her hairier coat!

Those of you who pluck, how do you do it? Our vet friend says to wet a Q-tip and twirl it in the ear and then pull. I notice that Petsmart has a powder they use but I'm not sure what that's for.

Leslie

#8 ·
Has anyone tried using one of those RoboCuts or Flowbees? I'm thinking about getting one to use on Murphy. I think it would save a fortune in grooming bills. But if I do go to a groomer the breeder I got Murphy from is in my town and she takes her dogs to a place that knows how to groom labradoodles so at least I have that option if the flowbee doesn't go as planned :lol: .

G
#11 ·
My vet has been doing Maya's nails but I have gone a couple times with a friend of mine that gets her dogs nails clipped there and they do a good job. But her dog also just lays down and lets them do it with no problems. I am gonna start taking Maya there once she isn't going to the vet once a month

#12 ·
The vet told me that Chloe needs to have her ear hair plucked...ouch!

She is getting spayed tomorrow so they are going to pluck while she is asleep and they are also shaving her so that we can start fresh on her coat. Then it is off to obedience school for 6 weeks...I am going to miss her terribly!!!

#13 ·
turtleaut said:
The vet told me that Chloe needs to have her ear hair plucked...ouch!

She is getting spayed tomorrow so they are going to pluck while she is asleep and they are also shaving her so that we can start fresh on her coat. Then it is off to obedience school for 6 weeks...I am going to miss her terribly!!!
Chouette's getting spayed next Thursday. What kind of obedience school are you sending Chloe to? That's a long time to be away from her!

Leslie

#16 ·
She is going to a trainer about 45 miles from here who is going to work with her on the basic obedience commands. He mostly trains retreivers for hunting work, etc. but also takes other dogs for basic classes. He is highly recommended in the area and I honestly just haven't had alot of time to work with Chloe. She is so smart, I think she will be a breeze to train. Once she has the basics down, I will work with her as far as other stuff (tricks, etc).

It is along time and I will really miss her but I know that I will enjoy her so much more after she gets a few manners :wink:

#17 ·
movistar said:
I actually took my poodle away from a groomer in mid groom because she called to complain to me about mats and I too had brushed her out prior to taking her in to avoid additional brushing charges.

Seems to me it is a standard response, but I was having none of it! :)
Good for you! I was exasperated but felt I had no options, since Chouette was having ear problems and really needed attention, and I'd already had to wait for the appointment. I had brushed Chou out to avoid have her coat cut that short, because of what Rowdie's person had said that the groomer told her. Didn't help, obviously.

I'm surprised they relinquished your poodle without making you pay through the nose to get her back!

Leslie

#18 ·
turtleaut said:
She is going to a trainer about 45 miles from here who is going to work with her on the basic obedience commands. He mostly trains retreivers for hunting work, etc. but also takes other dogs for basic classes. He is highly recommended in the area and I honestly just haven't had alot of time to work with Chloe. She is so smart, I think she will be a breeze to train. Once she has the basics down, I will work with her as far as other stuff (tricks, etc).

It is along time and I will really miss her but I know that I will enjoy her so much more after she gets a few manners :wink:
Then the trick's going to be to reinforce those manners! Chouette knows perfectly well what "Come" means, but if she doesn't have a leash on and would rather continue whatever she's doing she just stands and looks at me as though she's never heard the word before. I'm hoping this will work itself out, because she's never gotten away with it yet, but it's irritating!

Will you go there and work with them before you bring her back home? Our trainer had us demonstrate that we knew what to do with the commands before the end of the lesson series, and I was surprised to find that I had let deviations creep in that were making my commands less effective.

Leslie

#19 ·

This is from Amazon.com, and the same breeder who sells the rotating-teeth rakes, on Amazon, kv-vet:
http://www.amazon.com/Veterinarians-Bes ... 486&sr=1-2

SWEET CHOUETTE!!!

Well, I like her haircut, altho I could probably just look at her picture for FAR too long, anyway!

Look at the silvering on her slender forlegs! We really never know, I think, if or how much silvering a Doodle will do.

I agree that Petsmart is a one-note-wonder. But UNLESS a groomer has done several doodles, and really will take the time to listen to an owner that can happen anywhere, I believe, to be fair. Seems like groomers who are more into production come up with excuses to have our Doodles look like either Poodles or Bishons. And I prefer the look Chouette got over the Bishon look, for sure!

Welcome back from France, Leslie...you've been missed!

#20 ·
Leslie ...
Chouette looks beautiful! But I know what you mean about the shaggy. As nice as they look all groomed ... there is something about all the hair going every which way. Still ... she really does look beautiful!

#21 ·
I think sometimes I let Tanner slide with regard to responding to my commands simply because he is just so darn sweet. This past weekend, while playing Chuckit, he took off after a runner with her dog. She got very upset and I was very embarassed. While Tanner just wanted to be friendly, I know he needs more work on his commands.

#22 ·
He said that they would rather me not visit during her training time as it would distract Chloe and her bond with the trainer. Upon completion of her time there, I will go and work with the trainer for a few hours. I am really excited about it although I know that I will miss my little doodle bug something terrible. At least it will give Chase a much needed rest from the constant terrorizing by Chloe :lol:

#23 ·
OMG Chou looks adorable !

I pull the excess hair out of AB's ears - use a powder made for it, it's kinda chalky and makes it easier to grab the hair, she doesnt care for it but will sit still for me

As for grooming, we groom her ourselves, when she gets long, she gets a trim, we don't keep her real long

#24 ·
I'd had no idea doodles' ears needed to be plucked until I read about it somewhere here, and I was feeling very squeamish about it. The groomer at the vet showed me what to do. Pixie's ears were very furry and dirty, so I got a good lesson. She wasn't real happy about the plucking, but when I'm doing it at home, she's pretty calm. I wash her ears first (I have Epi-Optic by Virbac, got it at the vet), then pluck after drying her ears. I don't use the powder. I don't think it's necessary as long as the ears never get really dirty. It might help with the pulling though.

I've noticed that pulling out the hair is easier or harder, depending on the direction I'm pulling. You just have to figure out which direction the hair is growing in there.

Get this...a stylist at the salon I go to told me how she trims her dogs' nails using a Dremel with a filing attachment! I tried it, but Pixie really hated it. Now that I'm walking her outside, I figure the concrete sidewalks will do a pretty good job of keeping her nails dull, though.

#25 ·
I pluck ear hairs by hand, and it Does help to use the powder. With the Truly hairy ears, it really does help keep circulation going, which keeps the ears healthier.

As for the short cut, I think she looks lovely, but fully understand how you feel about the shaggy look.... it will be back before you know it!

I haven't tried the Flobee, but it's crossed my mind, and I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.