Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to share a scare I had last night. I hadn't read all the posts about the greenies before and wish I had.

We went on a hike yesterday for Father's Day with the dogs and when we got home I fed them and gave both a petite greenie for dessert. Jorja needed a bath from running thru streams and nasty stuff during the hike so I asked my husband to give her a bath. She had just started chewing on her greenie when he went to grab her. Well, she quickly swallowed it. I was terrified. She acted fine and everything but I quickly came on here searching for any information that would help. I ran to the store and bought a can of 100% pumpkin and she loved that. She pooped around 2 am just fine and we didn't feed her anything this morning.

Around 1 pm today she started hacking. I ran her outside and she threw up the greenie. It hadn't digested one bit. I could have put it back in the bag as brand new the way that thing looked. So after about 17 hours of sitting in her stomach it didn't digest at all.

So the lesson I learned is not to give these things to my dog any more. Especially, to Jorja. I was so thankful when she threw it up but I was preparing myself for a very tragic ending.

On a more happy note, the dogs had a blast on the hike. I'll have to post pictures later. They frolicked in the snow. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Marty, I'm so gald Jorja is alright! All I have seen and read about them has scared me. I don't know what we would do if anthing happened to Lani or (now) Toby. They are finally sleeping so I can get my forum fix! :lol: Can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greenies are treats that cleans dog's teeth and makes their breath smell good. There has been some controversy about them recently. They are suppose to be pretty much digestable but apparently that wasn't the case here. It's a miracle that Jorja was able to throw it up because it wasn't going to ever come out the other end. Jorja is a mini Doodle so she isn't very big and the stupid thing could have gotten stuck in numerous places. I said a lot of prayers Sunday night and also Monday with many thank yous. :?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Lisa. It was a huge scare but so relieved the outcome wasn't tragic. I just felt horrible.

Glad your babies are sleeping and hopefully having fun together. The hike on Sunday was kind of a bonding time for our two dogs. So after four months, Anna doesn't nip at Jorja any more but she will smile at her from time to time. Being an 11 year old dog she isn't that keen on the new kid in the house.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Greenies are very scary. I have read so many horror stories about them. They kind of gum up and cause choking problems as well. Glad Jorja is good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the information...

I just bought some of those treats, and I'm glad you shared your scary story with the forum.

In the trash they go.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Brian,

These treats may be fine for older dogs that take their time and really chew the treats but for a youngster that didn't want her treat snatched she gulped it right down. I would have thought it would have digested a little bit after all that time but it was almost plastic like. Makes me wonder if chewed pieces of the previous greenies are still sitting in her tummy. :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are a few pictures of our adventure with the dogs on Father's Day. This was at the Big Four Ice Caves northeast of Seattle. It's a really easy hike. There are pictures of the ice caves on my son's camera but for some reason I didn't get any. I was more focused on snapping pictures of my doggies.

Jorja is my almost 6 month old mini Doodle and Anna is my 11 year old Border Collie.

·
Registered
142 Posts
First off I am jealous, wow what a great place to go hiking. Great photos, I have started working with Murphy on hiking, unfortunately locally we just don't have the awsome places like you do. Myself and some friends did a 23 mile backpacking trip last week in Southern Indiana and got ate up with ticks and mosquitos. I know Murph isn't old enough yet for something like that but it scares me to take him with the ticks and all around here. Let me know what you guys use for pests, thought I would check into that frontline stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The news here has directly linked Greenies to causing mild siezures in dogs. I don't seem to recall offhand why that occurs, but I'll check into it further and let you all know....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did we inspire the ice caves hike? :wink: (I know you guys live close - you probably get to go all the time!) It's funny - I have picture of us and Quinnie in the same spots. I'll post them as soon as I can find the camera. As I said, Quin LOVED playing in the snow! It is such a fun hike for a pooch.

So glad Jorja is ok!!

-Lisa, Quin's mom

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, Lani and Jorja look so much alike except for their size. Toby is a doll!

We use to go on hikes all the time when the kids were small but haven't done many in the past few years. It was fun to take the dogs. This is a really easy hike but there are some really tough hikes that even closer to us that we need to tackle again. Jorja would have a blast.

We don't have ticks on this side of the Cascade Mountains so thankfully we don't have to worry about that. We don't have all that many bugs really to be a problem. That makes being outdoors so wonderful around here. But I still give both my dogs the Frontline Plus.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lisa, what was so weird is that Sunday my husband got to choose whatever he wanted to do. He finally decided on a hike and that's the one he chose. I thought about you and Quin all the time. It would have been fun having them both together playing in the snow. :) The dogs made the hike so much fun. Anna has some arthritis in her back leg so she struggled a little on all the rocks but she still had a great time.

Our 21 year old son went with us. The other two kids were in California. Father's Day 1992 all five of us plus our 6 month old puppy, Sadie, hiked up Mt. Pilchuck. That was a much more challenging hike but every time I look at that mountain I think about that day and smile.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Donna, we use to live in Derby and grew up in Russell, KS. We got Jorja from a breeder in Augusta. Where did you get Tucker?

Yes, the dogs love the greenies. It's a shame that they aren't digestable like the company says they are.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts