Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
Seems our 4mo Max is having problems lately. SO he's on a special diet of boiled rice with beef/turkey made with water for the next week or so. It's working but I am wondering what Brands of puppy food (DRY) either doodle owners/breeders recommend????

thanks for your help

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
for the first few months that i had jonah, he was plagued with the runs. had him tested for worms, etc. and the vet said it was probably nervous innards (my words, not his) or a food allergy. after trying numerous brands of natural food, we found nutro ultra for large breed puppies. that with the occasional dose of pepto-bismol chewables, we are solid finally. :lol: now if i can just get people to not bring him treats, we'll be fine.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gene...what was the pepto bismal for ??

also Max is doing great on the rice and beef I cook daily for him.

seems lamb/rice gave Max the squirts...sometimes the toots too aka sbd's which clears out a room quickly. Then he went to vomiting bile daily in the early afternoon. for 5 days.

I hear doodles can have sensitive tummies?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
my regular vet first recommended the liquid....haha....try getting that into a doodle :shock: . the fill-in vet had me try the chewables. he still doesn't like them, but at least i no longer get a pink spray bath. i guess it works just like it does on us. they told me to use it sparingly, because it will cause constipation.

G

·
It looks like Nutro is very similar to Wellness. Wellness has decided to remove Vitamin K from it's food this year. There has been a controversy raised as to whether it is toxic and necessary. Wellness decided to remove it, never saying it was toxic, just that they decided it was unnecessary for healthy puppies (see below) Vitamin K is listed as Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.
Q: I have heard you are planning on removing Vitamin K from your food in the upcoming year. How come?

A: Our original intent when adding Vitamin K to Wellness was to present the most robust nutrition available to the dog. The inclusion of Vitamin K was also supported by the National Research Council's (NRC) soon-to-be-published study "Nutrient Requirements for Dogs" that found some dogs require more supplementation than others. The nutritional functions of Vitamin K are proper blood clotting and for building strong bones. We know that bacteria in the dog's gut are able to synthesize Vitamin K, but our concern was whether or not they produced enough. This concern is most relevant during times of stress for the dog, or when they are being administered antibiotics.

After very careful consideration, and consultation with additional experts, we concluded that although a dog will have diminished capacity to produce adequate Vitamin K when on antibiotics, a dog will produce enough on their own when healthy. Since Wellness is a healthy diet, supporting overall wellbeing, a dog being fed our diets is less likely to need antibiotics and therefore doesn't need supplemental Vitamin K.

Q: When will Vitamin K be removed?

A: Wellness recipes without Vitamin K are expected to be available later in the year when we next update our bags and ingredient panels.

G

·
Sorry to be hogging the thread :lol: , but I did find where the above info came from:
Tha Dog Food Project lady! She was the one who gave us the dog food scale ratings system.
Here is the link:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione
In the last year so far the following companies have decided to remove it:
Blue Buffalo
Mother Hubbard (Wellness)
Newman's Own
Petcurean
Natural Balance
Diamond

·
Registered
12 Posts
Iams?

I feed my doodle Iams, I'm wondering does anyone know anything negative about this food, or is it a good food? I thought I was doing him a good thing giving him Iams I hope I am right. i have tried Nutro before and he would hardly touch it, so now we are back on the Iams and he seems to like it. He loves the beneful prepared meals they look so good and the commercials make you think that you are giving your dog something good but i did a little more research and found that it was full of Junk.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
On the dog foor comparison chart, Iam's gets a "D". I couldn't get Linda's link to work, so I'll copy it here. And by the way, the one negative about Blue buffalo is thy do add vitamin K.
Diane (and Dakota)

How to grade your dog's food:
Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer’s rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
<70 = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored. If you don't see your dog's food here, ask and someone will score it for you.
Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+

Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+

Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

Purina Benful / Score 17 F

Purina Dog / Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F

Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

G

·
Hi Diane!
Here is the latest from the dog food project website:
Blue Buffalo is supposed to be removing the vitamein K:
Removal of Menadione from Blue Buffalo Dog Foods
#33089 - 10/12/06 04:23 PM

I'm happy to announce that yet another manufacturer has followed through with the removal of menadione from their dry dog foods.

Blue Buffalo products labeled with a "Best used by" date of October 07 and thereafter are menadione free.

Thanks to Dog Food Project readers Kim and Susan for forwarding me customer service Information on this!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
seazr: can't resist so here goes:
i am going back to school to get a degree in DOG FOOD NUTRITION HHAHAHAHAHA

wow what a list but i am soooooooo glad you provided it...thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank You so much! This website is great! I am new to it and so excited to get such great and fast responses! Thanks Again! I think we're going to give Blue Buffalo a Shot.
~Shannon and Barkley!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok folks...it is now narrowed down to:

INNOVA vs BLUE BUFFALO
both have very similar ingredients and same price

I wonder how SOFIE is doing????
Max has only vomited 1x in past week since on rice/beefwater diet i cook.

OH GENE: gotta lov yougurt SBD's :D and as always a doodle never leaves the room rather they like to do it while at your feet :wink: aint that special :shock:

·
Registered
138 Posts
When I got Bailey from her breeder, she was eating "Iams Smart Puppy" Food. I wasn't real impressed reading about it, plus she didn't seem to really enjoy it.

So I switched her (gradually) to Nutro Ultra Puppy and she seemed more interested, but still ate it kind of slowly - and was pooping a lot (which I know is rather common for puppies).

After reading all the charts and reviews it seemed like "Natural Balance Ultra Premium" was the best food but I was scared off by there not being a puppy formula, but then everything I read said it was very good for puppies so we tried it.

Oh my god. I think it must have "puppy crack" in it, because she goes absolutely nuts for it! She just DEVOURS it. In fact when I put down a couple pieces of it with a treat next to it, she went for the food first! She also seems to be pooping smaller (and firmer) amounts.

I think we're sticking with it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
we used natural balance with our dane and just LOVED it. our doodle actually decided he didnt like it and we then did the nutro thing! I even offered solid gold a few others before we found our magic food!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts