Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all may remember the giardia saga with Maggie from the past few weeks. Well, she finished a 5 day course of Panacur, and seems to be doing okay.

i talked with my friend who is a vet (but is a mommy now and not practicing) and she said that once a dog gets giardia, they always have it and it in their systems and it will flare up from time to time. (i had read that somewhere too, in my research). She also said that it is possible that Maggie might be allergic to corn and/or wheat products since she has always had a sensitive stomach.

we started off with Canidae when she was a puppy (her breeder sells it), she did not do well at all on it (diarrhea/loose stools all the time and she just did not like it; wouldn't eat it; it would sit there for a LONG time before she'd finally eat it), so we switched her to Iams after she did a stint on Eukanuba low residue to heal her stomach, on the advice of our vet (who does not sell Iams, he just said his dogs have been on it for years and do quite well).

Now, since my friend said we should try a dog food without any corn or wheat in it, I bought a small bag of Canidae to try again, even though I am not very hopeful that she'll tolerate it well.

we are mixing it into her diet and she has bad gas, and my husband said her stools are mushy. So, with all the food recalls (high quality "all natural" foods are not immune I have noticed), I don't know what else to try. I need to give Canidae a longer try but I am afraid that it is the same reaction she had to it when she was a puppy, it is just too rich for her sensitive stomach.

anyone else have any luck with another food other than Canidae, that has no wheat or corn in it??

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
YOu may want to put in INNOVA dog food as a search word ok?

then go to the California Natual food ....read that one and also you can compare ingredients too see.

Max has what we call "poodle tummy" extremely sensitive to foods and such like amount so on. Luckily he tolerates Canidae as that was the 7th food we were trying!

I have cooked for 4mos for max and found going EXTREMELY slower than usual to switch over foods helps, adding bland diet to it . It took me 6 weeks to get him to where he has 3/4 Canidae to 1/4 bland diet and finally firm poops!!!! yes oh hail to the firm poop god!! hahahhaa

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
hmmmmm. Coco had giardia when we got her.....she recovered quickly on the medicine she was given.....She has had mushy runny poop for two days now....I think due to teething??? ( my human babies had diarreha when teething....) well, maybe due to teething and due to gnawing those two huge edible nylabones.....I think her mushy poop is from those bones, mostly.

she is still on the Precise Plus holistic food....has nearly 16 pounds left. Until now she has done great on it....but as pointed out in another post it has a Vitamin K precursor, or something that isn't too good....though a vet said it was fine. Who knows?

Annmarie, when you add oatmeal, do you cook it first? Also, what brand pumpkin do you buy, assuming it is canned?

I am petitioning the firm poop god for assistance.....i liked our normal tootsie roll poops from before.

G

·
Boyd eats Fromm's Adult Gold dog food - it is designed for dogs with sensitive tummies and allergies. They are family run and were very helpful when I had a ton of questions about the dog food recall. Here is their web site:

www.frommfamilyfoods.com

With regards to the Nylabones, they also give Boyd bad gas and mushy poops! :roll:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Lora,

For how long does the mushy poop last after having 2 large nylabone edibles??

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ok, Folks,

In answer to my own question to Annmarie....I read under another topic and saw that yes, you cook the oatmeal first.....

I still don't know for sure what kind of pumpkin.....

Seems I read somewhere on this forum that no food for a day helps to get over a bout of diarrhea.....then I could do the annmarie special.....?

NO, I think I will give a little kibble with brown rice, cooked, mixed in....to begin with.

G

·
PLAIN, canned pumpkin...NOT pumpkin pie filling :lol:
And my vet always says, wait a day for vomiting or severe diarrhea...mushy is not severe, liquid is severe... Bad visual there, sorry! :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hmm name this Firm POOP God...wanna use my ex's name? hahhaha

OH hail almighty firm poop god hmmm thinking now

dirty harry?
my brain is shot give me a day to think...if not WHERE's gene and sue????

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
oh back on topic...for severe diarhhea means watery...fast dog for 24hours...if really mushy i hold off a few extra hours for the next meal.

CANNED plain pumpkin....Rice is a good filler but for some reason I COOK old fashioned oats (oatmeal) and it works wonders with max and peanut.

Sweet potato in small amounts like 1/4in slice also aids digestive tract, pepto bismal can help mushiness too

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D

"all hail the firm poop god"

Coco's nylabone edible chews were the reason for mushy poops for two days....yesterday being the second! Brown rice, a little fresh chicken and a tiny bit of yogurt did the trick.....Oh, yeah.....and mercy from the poop god.....hip hip hoooray for tootsie rolls!!!

:wink:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My grocery store doesn't stock canned pumpkin, or any kind of pumpkin right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's got to be Thanksgiving to ever eat it??
I am going to Whole Foods tomorrow...or another grocery and see.
Brother!! :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts