Labradoodle Forums banner

Going to meet doodles tomorrow

13K views 82 replies 13 participants last post by  dixiedi 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
Have a minute? Here's my tale (tail)......
We have an 11 year old, and older than his years, yellow lab, whom we adore and are nursing through his ever declining health.
Not being a person who can live without a dog in the house, I have already contacted a couple breeders about upcoming doodle litters, as we plan on rushing right out to get a puppy as soon as Buster succumbs to his various and assorted maladies (I jest, becuase he's really doing quite well, all things considered - all potty outside, and a tail wag for anyone who walks in the door - and a bark for anyone who rings the doorbell). I have it narrowed down to two.
I also put a few feelers out at a couple shelters.
Well, lo and behold, I get a call from one of the shelters who has three 4 month old doodles for adoption. I'm going down to meet them tomorrow afternoon.
Two questions - first - how much is normal for a shelter to ask for a doodle? They want $500 for one of these. I kind of get it, because she's had them since birth (got the mother, while pregnant, from a backyard breeder and had to bottle feed the puppies because the mother didn't produce milk) and the expense has been large.
Second question - does anyone have any opinions regarding bringing a young, new dog, into a house with a significantly aged dog?
Thanks for any help and guidance!
Betty

See less See more
#2 ·
Betty, Welcome and I have experience with this issue. I had a 15yo Cocker in failing health and felt the same as you about not having a dog. Jonah all of a sudden became available and he too was 4 months old. Peche, my cocker was elderly, blind and moving slowly, but he within a couple of hours let Jonah know where they both were going to stand. The only problem we had was with feeding. Poor blind Peche would sniff his way to Jonah's bowl and Jonah thought it was play. Besides that, if you introduce them slowly...butt sniff etc, they will let you know. Just make sure the affection goes heavy to the older dog, because there is the chance of jealousy! My Peche wasn't with us too long after, he was just ready. Good luck in your quest!! :lol:

#3 ·
Gene,
Thank you so much for your response. And congratulations, I understand you just adopted a new family member!!!!
Gene, how did you feel about the situation? On one hand, I think it would be great for our older dog to have the companionship, and on the other hand I'm afraid he might resent us for it.
Also, thinking about the rest of the family, we are ready for a younger active dog, but that doesn't mean we don't love Buster. Did you feel this tug of war/guilt that I'm wrestling with?
Thanks,
Betty

#4 ·
Betty,
I was soooo attached to Peche, I had him from when he was 6 weeks old and he was my first ever dog. I had always had cats before. There was guilt, but I realized that his parting would be devastating for me. I knew I would need someone to help with the grief, and let me tell you...a hyper doodle fit the bill. With Peche, he didn't need a leash because he wouldn't stray far especially after he lost his sight to cataracts. I think that was the biggest change for me.
The situation with Miko is I wanted a playmate for Jonah. He was suffering from a bad case of separation anxiety after the passing of my elderly mother. He was miserable in his kennel, and destructive out of it. He still is a little (69#) 10.5 month old mischievous puppy, but when I get home, I am no longer the chew toy liter mate!! Poor Miko is at 6 months and 33.5#. She is starting to hold her own though and they are really getting along well, a little noisy, but a heck of a lot of fun. They are so full of life and show it!!
Let us all know the outcome and we want pictures!!

#5 ·
Hi Betty,
We had the same situation you're experiencing...Charlie our 14 yr.old chocolate lab was with us from 8 weeks old on....As his arthritus continued to worsen, we felt that maybe a younger dog would help him regain some of his youthfulness, and he might become a little more active again. We went ahead after much thought and adopted a rescue.another chocolate Lab,Molly who was 18 months old...Charlie's activity level rose significantly, altho he did tire out pretty easily...he seemed to love having Molly around, even if they only played while he was lying down. We also knew that the day was drawing closer when we would have to put Charlie out of his misery...the vet told us that Labs are silent sufferers...and that Molly would help ease his passing over to the 'Rainbow Bridge'. The day finally came, and we were heartbroken. He was our wonderful boy, but I have to tell you honestly, that it was wonderful coming home to Molly and being able to hug her and kiss her...she comforted us as much as we comforted her. And my crying continued for two weeks, but having her at that time was a Godsend...Molly is now going on 4 1/2, and we decided that maybe she would like a playmate too...so last November, we aquired Raleigh Doodle! The house has been in a turmoil ever since...a good one at that, and non-stop laughter with all the antics between the two of them.
I wish you well in whatever you decide.
Kathie

#6 ·
Hi Betty, you have a big heart...and I am so impressed that you are concerned with the feelings of your Lab.
I don't have much advice on this because I have never been in this position...but I know that others will help you out.
I wish you the best!

#7 ·
Thank you for your responses. You have no idea how much that helps! My Buster is my first kid (three human children came after him), and I just want to do right by him, and the rest of us at the same time.
I'm heading down to meet the doodles tomorrow, with camera in tow, so I check back in with an update late tomorrow or early Thursday. I'll attempt to post some pics as well.
Thanks again for all the support!
Betty

#8 ·
Hi Betty, good luck tomorrow :) We'll all be anxious to hear. I just wanted to ad that I have heard so many times that bringing another dog into the family with an older dog causes the older dog to almost be reborn. I think it would do you and Buster good :)

#10 ·
I paid $300 for Miko from a rescue in WV that included what they paid to rescue, spaying amd raising expenses. I would have paid $500 for her gladly!! Have some fun today and my doodle prayers are with you!! :lol:

#11 ·
I'm sorry I can't help on that matter. I have no idea why one shelter would ask more than another or why they would ask more for a Doodle than any other breed. They are no harder to raise than any other puppy. Maybe the sole reason is because of the expense and time they have into these puppies because of having to bottle feed.

Please post when you get home and let us know how it went.

G
#12 ·
Hi Betty,
We only have one dog (although two sure sounds like fun and it is a trend on the board :lol: ) but I wanted to let you know that when we rescued Bella the agency did charge more for her than the other puppies. We paid $400 when the other puppies were $150. I think they charge what they know the market will give them and then it helps offset the expense of keeping the other, not so popular dogs that will need to be cared for by them for a longer time until a home is found.
Best of Luck! Take lot's of pictures!

#13 ·
Hi Betty and welcome! I understand your thoughts totally. We adopted Lizzie and Louie--2 year old doodles in August. They came from a loving first home, but their owners were dealing with a terminal illness and could no longer care for them. Our first concern when we took on the doodles was our 14 year old terrier mix--Bingo. He is in excellent health for his age, but moving slower all the time. We wanted this sweet boy to have the very best golden years. To make a long story short....it has worked out beautifully !! It only took a few days for the pecking order to be established--and BIngo continues to rein as "Top Dog" !! Even dominate Lizzie always defers to Bingo. He has become much more active and playfull--and now he even shares his sleeping space with the doodles. The doodles seem to know he is older and are very gentle with him. It is really very cool to witness. Hope this helps--hope this works out for you--you will love being a doodle owner !! Kathy, Lizzie, Louie and Bingo

#14 ·
hi Betty, and welcome...altho it seems you've already found friends here!

Today's the big day for you and I hope it goes well!

I have an 11yr old chocolate Lab, who's not doing too badly...cataracts and arthritis, for sure, thank God she's still ok, but I sure know what you mean about giving them their due, for all your history together. However, I think that resentment towards another dog is not the way dogs think. I think that's a human emotion. Gene gave you some clues that if you bring in a puppy your dogs will find their way. If you aren't sure, how about having a trainer come over to observe the 2 dogs and give you some clues about their interaction?

As for the elevated price at a shelter, I too am inclined to think that they are trying to use the doodle puppies to recoop their costs, but also because the CAN, ya know? For example, if these were bloodhound/g. shepherd mix dogs, they wouldn't get more for them, even if they needed bottles and deserved it...but on the other hand, if they've been in the shelter so long they've probably gotten lots of holding and attention with the bottle care, right?

Can't wait to see what you think and report to us!

#15 ·
Allright,
I'm leaving here around 3. It's a little over 1 and 1/2 hours where I'm heading, so it will take awhile. If I don't get an update on here tonight, i'll get it on in the morning.
I'm nervous and excited. I've already promised my husband I won't come home with a dog today. I'm on a fact finding mission only. If my questions are all answered appropriately, the dogs are what we are looking for, and our vet says Buster can handle it (he has an appointment tomorrow morning), then we'll go back down on Sunday with the whole family.
Ughh!!!!!
Buster has an appointment tomorrow for a diabetes check, so I'm gonna get the vet's opinion as well. I'm afraid he's gonna suggest that Buster's time is up, which, obviously I'm suspecting on my own. I still think he's got some time left, even if that time is spent laying down:) I asked Buster what he thought about another dog, and he said he'd have to get back to me.
By the way - Jac - what is a north american retriever? I was just looking at your website - cute dogs!!!
Thanks everyone - for the advice and the good wishes. The forum rocks!!!

#17 ·
Hi Betty,
I am looking forward to the news!
Thanks for the compliments on the web site.
A North American Retriever is a Labradoodle crossed with a Goldendoodle. (They wanted to take the "doodle" words out.)
Many guide dog services have already crossed the Lab and Golden with very good results (temperament/intelligence) so we are just adding the Poodle into the mix...my breeding didn't produce any puppies, but other breeders are doing this with great results.
Oh, by the way, I think that the shelter is cashing in on the "doodle" craze by charging that much. They know that they can get it...I have strong opinions about that but I'll not go there... :wink:

#18 ·
Betty,
I hope everything went well today. Can't wait to hear the results! If you did come home with one and you need family support....we're all here for you. We'll talk your husband into it and show him that being a doodlholic is an illness( a good one) but it can't be helped!! :wink:

#19 ·
Okay - how can anything be that cute?
Great puppies. I am head over heals for one. I'll try to post a picture, but I have no idea how.
I am sold, but my husband is iffy. I understand, he is the more rational of the two of us. He's "sleeping on it". We have to let the shelter know before Friday, as she has other families coming to see them.
Jac, I understand your irritation at shelters trying to garner more from the doodles. In this case, I think she is trying to recoup her costs in these puppies. Long story short, she (the shelter) bought the mother of these puppies, along with the dad, and two other pregnant labs from a byb who she visited with a friend who was looking at another litter of puppies. This "breeder" was tired of breeding labradoodles because they "ate too much" and she was going to start breeding a smaller breed. Once all the puppies were born she was going to sell all the lab mommies to a puppy mill. The lady from the shelter asked her how much for all the dogs, labs and poodles, she had. She paid $1000 on the spot for all the dogs and took them to the shelter. The lab mommy of these puppies ended up not producing milk. This shelter had to bottle feed all the puppies (11 in all in this litter). They did x-ray the parents and cleared their hips before they adopted them out. The puppies are spayed, microchipped, wormed, started on heartworm and have had 3 series of shots. I don't know that much about all this, but it seems to me that it's reasonable for her to ask a little extra for these puppies. I do understand that asking for more just because they are doodles is wrong, but I really don't think that's the case here. Maybe I'm a sucker.
I'll keep everyone posted. Keep your fingers crossed.
If it doesn't happen now, I'm sure we'll get there eventually.
Thanks!

#20 ·
That's great news Betty :) Is there any way your husband can go see them in person :?: That is all it would take :wink: I'm sure once one of them gave him that look, he'd melt.

We're rooting for you, hang in there. What will be, will be :)

#21 ·
Ah Betty
You are not a sucker at all you are just a very kind hearted person.
I hope everything works out for you and that you get your puppy.
One thing for sure is that your chosen puppy is going to be so lucky to get a great Mom like you.
Good luck and I will be praying that your hubby has nice sweet puppy dreams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.