Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Girlfriends Dog which is a Doodle needs to be treated before closing the crate and sometimes even if you let him see the treat while closing he goes nuts growling barking like a mad dog but as soon as you cover the create he stops he s almost 2 yrs old is it time to stop the crate sleeping /

but whats up with the nutso dogs every once in a while ?

they got him from a family and possibly abused him when he was a pup

he is very gentle out side the create

help please ?

Mike

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
What do you mean by "nutso?" I think all of our doodles have a period where they just have to run off some energy, we call it the doodle 500 - where they run and run and run.... and then just boom, they're done.

If you want to keep your dood' out of the crate, then do it. My Cinnamon is 2 1/2 and she hasn't stayed in a crate since she was about 8 months. She sleeps in our bedroom on the floor or in her own bed. We don't do the same bed thing, there wouldn't be room for me the way my hubby sleeps!!

Good luck!

G

·
Mike,
I'm not sure if you mean the crazy running, jumping, growling antics usually at bedtime called the Doodle 500 or the Zoomies. This would be normal :lol:

OR:

She hates the crate and is fighting to not go in it at night?

If she is housebroken and not destructive, then I would agree that the crate is optional.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm already working on transitioning my 5 1/2 month old doodle out of his crate at night... He sleeps at the foot of my or my daughters bed and does perfectly fine. Woke up to one pee accident once (and not in time to clean it properly... yuck!). He gets crated a bit more than I was planning to during the day so I like him to have room to roam at night - even if its just in my bedroom!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What i mean by going nuts is if could get to you he bite and maul ya hes like a devil dog trying to get at ya !
Thats when hes in the crate and the door is closed but leave him alone and hes fine the next morning after he sleeps it off !

im going to try him out of the crate tonight and just tell him its bed time !

I think the crate will be gone after she gets home from vacation !

Thanks for the advice !

Mike

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
hmmmm. Maybe something happened that tormented him while in the crate.....and he no longer likes anything to do with it. Is he ever crated during the day? If so, how does he do with it then?

I don't crate Coco every night and she does fine....sometimes I do, if she won't settle down quick enough....and I only crate during the day if I have to leave her here alone for a couple of hours. I can leave her out for 45 mintues, or so, no problems. She ate a pencil once....but that's all.

Good Luck tonight!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Welcome Mike!
It sounds to me like your dog feels that the only safe place, or the only place he will get a treat is in the crate. Since he likes the crate covered, I'd say he feels safe there. It is like a den to him.
I'd leave the crate door open during the day and once in a while, I'd hide a treat in there...but not every time.
At night, say, "kennel up!" or something similar, and let him know it is time to go to the crate for the night.
But, if you feel that he is ready to be uncrated, I'd just leave the door open.
I think that if he feels safe in the crate, why force him to stop sleeping there?
My dogs have crates all over the house and they love to go in the crate to nap or just watch the action...the doors are never closed, except for when I am potty training. (Others crate the dog when they leave them home alone...to keep the dog safe and to stop any destruction.)
Here is a good link to crate issues: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

G

·
I don't know, Jac, I'm picturing the scene something like I had when I bought the soft sided crate and tried to get Bella into it a second night. She was TERRIFIED and was out of control, even snarling at me. I felt horrible and closed it up and took it back. I don't know if it was the smell or the feeling of being too closed in, but I have never seen her act like that before or again, Thank God! So Mike, maybe she really HATES the cover over her crate but knows she has no choice once the door is gated? Or maybe she just hates being confined? Not sure, but trying a crate-free night might be fun:) Good Luck and let us know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The weird thing is it only happens every once in a while so tonight its no crate and we will see what happens

Is he going to be surprised !

wish me luck I'll let you know what goes on !

Mike

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Sounds like he had a Very truamatic experience with the crate - if he is not destroying anything in the house - I'd let him sleep out of the crate - AB hasnt slept in a crate since she was 4 months old - I just say bed and she races down the hall and flys up on the bed and sits and waits for her treat , not too spoiled lol, she also has a bed in the hallway that she likes as she can see out the window if she lays there - so she switches out where she sleeps

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Mine also get that night time treat in bed. Miko likes to sleep on the bed by the window, Jonah starts in bed, does a little floor time, but is always back up on the bed before I wake in the morning. For the first week I had her, Miko was in a makeshift xpen right next to my bed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the night is over and all went well

i to him nite nite time he started for his cage with the door proped open and i gave him a few treats and put a chair in the door way and left he was like you forgot to lock the cage .

i got up in the morning went to look in on him he was up and happy to see me

let you know how tonight goes i think he is going to be ok

MIke

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, that is great news! Sounds like this dog will respond vey well to your love and trust...you have a super life ahead with this sweet companion!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI MIKE...nice to meet you .

i've been following along and wonder how your doodle did last night

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well 3 nights and he's awesome

he sleeps in the dinning room at my house and im in my room on the same floor i got the door way blocked off

i dont know where hes going to sleep at my girlfriends house

just wanted to say thanks a lot on all the comments .

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
glad he did well with the crate door not closed , you might get him a bed and put it in your bedroom - keep your door closed over or put a gate in it so he cant roam the house at nite - sounds like he would be fine in the same room with you - not all dogs need crating - as I said before Annabelle hasnt been in a crate since about 4 months - as long as you take him out to potty right before bed and first thing in am, he'll prob be ok and prob feel secure sleeping where you are, if he does ok with it,- when you go to your GF's do the same - have a bed for him in the bedroom

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MIKEY that is such good news ...thanks for the update. :D

i know my Max never slept in a crate till a few months ago and now he sleeps with us again. Sometimes it's on his doggy bed other times at the foot of our bed

G

·
Great news Mikey! Let us know how he does when he goes home...and what your girlfriend thinks! :lol:
Bella sleeps upstairs in our bedroom, but she won't come to bed til everyone is home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts