Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boyd is 17 weeks old tomorrow and over the past week putting on the leash has turned into a game. He used to sit quietly by the door (which he still does first thing in the morning) but now he treats it like a game. He will go to the door and look at us and then when we approach with the leash he'll adopt puppy play mode - butt in air, tail wagging - and then take off around the kitchen. When we finally get the leash on him and take him out he relieves himself so it's not like he's "faking" it. Why is he doing this?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that it means that your pup is a well-adjusted pup full of michief and playfulness.

If you have taught him the sit command, you should be able to conquer this playful attitude without much trouble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jac! Yes, he is a bundle of mischief and playfulness. If we get him away from the door (like in the laundry room) then it's easy to put the leash on. I tell ya, he does something different every day! Sit = treats in our house! :)

He's also learned "down" (which I didn't think he had command of) but the other night we were eating dinner and he was nosing around us and I said sit and then down and he reluctantly slid himself under my chair and stayed there - hoorah!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
LAM you are learning so much about your sweet puppy...I am happy that you recognize his quickness...sometimes they do things that just "happen" without much thought on our part...for instance, every one of my dogs knows that if I am asleep and they come bounding onto my bed, I put my hands up (as in "stop") and all 5 of them jump off the bed and leave me alone! I have never made an effort to teach this, I have just done the "signal" when I am halfway asleep...but they all know what it means.
They are truly amazing and intelligent creatures.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Up until this week Kenai would listen to me when we are outside going potty. But now, she ignores me when I tell her to "come". She just keeps sniffing and exploring the yard. However, she doesn't behave that way with my son or my husband. So, it's back on the leash whenever I take her outside! I think this is teen-age defiant behavior, and I look forward to when she goes back to listening to me!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
This is really common with the "come" command...I have heard that the come command is the toughest (and most important) command...that you should never use it unless you can enforce it because you don't want them to think that they can ignore that one!
Also, you might want to consider that when you say "come" then the puppy knows that the fun ends. It means that you take Kenai back inside and the favored "outside time" is at an end. So, you might want to give the come command...give a special treat and then put the leash on her and walk around the yard together...giving treats as you go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts