Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there. i am starting to feel bad because we are taking a (much needed) vacation to Florida during my kids' spring break and we will have to board Maggie. i simply can't ask our grandpa to take her for an entire 6 days, plus i'm not sure he'd be the best babysitter.

we have boarded her at a place nearby called Waggin'Tails and she seems to love it. in fact, to get her to go to the car sometimes my 5 year old will say "wanna go to doggy day care?" and Maggie bolts to the car.

but I've never left her there overnight for more than 2 nights. I am also considering trying Camp Bow Wow; it seems maybe they have a bit better accommodations.

Does anyone have any experience with Camp Bow Wow? i realize that each location would be different but as a franchise, i'm just wondering if anyone has any strong feelings about it.

it is going to be very expensive, but i can't bear the thought of leaving her at one of those places where they don't get to play, because they are in a kennel the whole time. And I can't bear the thought of leaving her home alone with someone coming in once or twice a day to let her out. how lonely! I do have a friend with 3 boys and a small dog who offered to take her, but honestly, i don't want to "owe" her one!

looking for insight and maybe a little reassurance please! Thanks! I really need this trip to a warmer climate but am feeling a little bit guilty!
Christine

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I don't have experience with camp bow wow, but we've left Dex overnight at a doggy daycare where they do not use cages and he seemed to love it. I have a friend who is more than willing to watch him, but if she couldn't, I would take him there (over a kennel) if we went on vacation. Just my opinion :)

G

·
I am in the same position. I have never boarded Bella and will be doing so in a few weeks. I have looked at a few different kennels. She is going to the most expensive one in the area :roll: and I am still worried. The one kennel that many people LOVE here has a mandatory visitation policy before they will take your dog. So I go to visit and get a tour and it is very well run and organized, BUT they NEVER take the dogs out of their area/kennel. The dogs can be in the indoor or outdooor run connected by a door, but it is a 8x5 foot area (maybe not that big) on either side of the door. How can they never be walked or out of a space that small for a week? The owner was so proud of his safety record and stated that kennels who walk their dogs are taking too much risk :shock:
Another one I visited was very reasonably priced with lots of walks for the dogs in totally fenced areas....but she asked if Bella gets slong with other dogs because sometimes they will 'buddy them up' in the kennels. That made me nervous, plus they were totally booked three weeks ago for 3 weeks from now.
So we have decided to bite the bullet and put her in Animal Inn. It is costly, but they mentioned ALOT of things I never thought to ask at the other places: There is someone ALWAYS there 24 hours, they have a back up generator if the power goes out, there is a vet on call 24/7, and they have a state of the art sprinkler system. So I will be very nervous, but I am sure Maggie will be just fine and will probably love it. You are one step ahead since she already does doggy day care there. :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I know in the past when we had 2 papillons we boarded them at the vets. They had a blast as they girls continuously held them, walked them, played with them soooo much. My dogs i think hated going back home as they got so spoiled at my vets hahahhahaaa then again they were smaller dogs and easily carried, and were somewhat of favorites at the vets

·
Registered
104 Posts
We have to find a sitter for MIA for this summer. Because we are going to be gone for quite a long time we have gone the house/dog sitter route and have a woman who is moving into our house for the entire time we're gone.

I've done this for years with our old dog because I always found that when she had to leave our house it was much more stressful than having someone move into her space.

The bonus is you get someone to look after the house and garden as well.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Kathryn
Seriously I will take Mia in a heartbeat!!!
And whatever animals you have.
If you cannot find anyone to house sit think of us as the alternative!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
kathryn..i know Sue is capable of taking care of MIA
but i would hesitate to let her take care of landscapes hahahhaa

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
What Annmarie
Did you not like your new digs???
Katheryn!!!
Do not listen to Annmarie, have you seen the house for her that
Gene built????

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey Christine, have a good trip!
I have never liked the kennel idea, for boarding our dogs, and thank God have rarely ever done it.

I think the idea of a pet sitter is great, if there is one in your area that you can get to know. We have friends that we swap dog-sitting with, and that is also great. A lot of pet-sitters just do it part time, or in a small way and it seems like getting to trust someone with a small sitting/ boarding job isn't any different that getting a sense of trust for a local franchise.

It's all about trust isn't it? Worth more than money!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just got back from my first vacation since we got Charlie, and for the first time used a kennel. I never had too before since my mom would always stay at my house in the past and take care of our animals. BUT - she isnow 78 and had her hip replaced in January and I think a big, cuddly, jumping doodle could drag her down the road or sit on her and hurt her so I opted for the kennel. He is very subdued since we got back, grew about 3 feet and really didnt seem to mind it - I had kind of nice time but boy did I miss him. (We took our daughter to Disney for her spring break)

·
Registered
116 Posts
We kenneled Buster when he was about 2 years old. We were gone for about 5 days. It was fine, but I don't think he cared for it. Just his personality, but he was not quite the same when we returned - very subdued. If we can afford it, we will always have a pet sitter now. There is one in town who we've gotten to know who will come to the house X number of times a day. Or, the dogs can live at her house while we're gone. For Buster, we have no choice because of all his medications, etc. And, frankly, I think at this point in his existence, it would kill him.
If you can spend a little extra, ask your vet for recommendations. Sometimes the assistants at the office pet sit part time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts