Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 month old Goldendoodle has a funny odor in his rear area. I assume it is his gland. I have actually seen a few drops of brown liquid on the floor outside his crate, from when I let him out.

Anyone know how to express it? I have looked online and tried the methods they suggest but can't seem to clear it up. Unless I need to do it a lot more often than I am. So I guess another question is how often should I need to do it.

My nose thanks you all in advance.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We have our vet do it. Vets can put a gloved finger into anal canal and express getting it all out. Doing it from the outside doesn't always get it all.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner is almost 17 months...I think the vet has done it 3 times so I would say every 4 months. I think the groomer does the "from the outside thing" when he is groomed. I have never had a large male dog before so this was all new to me. Twice Tanner got frightened and his glands emptied....so did the room :twisted:

Someone on the forum said that if their stools are firmer it helps them to keep their glands emptied...that hasn't been the case for Tanner

My vet doesn't charge if we are there for anything else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See I had heard the stool thing too but his are firm so that is not an issue here.

Is it a male thing? I admit I know NOTHING about this gland thing.

I may see if my vet can do it. I have noticed it seems worse after the groomer fiddles with it.

And it has something to do with nerves too?

Thanks for all the info!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sometimes under stress dogs can release their anal glands giving off a real foul odor. I watched someone's poodle from hell that did this 5 out of 7 nights.

I'd ask the vet how to do it yourself

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter had to have his expressed until he was around 1 year. He has seemed to outgrow it. I think it's possible that the food can be the culprit -I would ask your vet for advice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will call the vet then. I have him on California Natural and he is pretty sensitive so I would hate to have to fiddle with the food, but if it helped with the smell I would.

I have a toddler in the house so honestly I could probably do it myself once the vet showed me. We tend to see all sorts of stuff these days with a 2 1/2 year old in the house...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Just to interject here,
i am a retired dog groomer,vet tech,
once you start the expressing of the anal glands it must be a ongoing thing and it may open your dog up for infection,

the smell can be other things,,, the food, worms, etc,,please talk to your vet have him tell you the pros and cons before beginning, have him look at all aspects of the dogs environment

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doodlesville said:
Just to interject here,
i am a retired dog groomer,vet tech,
once you start the expressing of the anal glands it must be a ongoing thing and it may open your dog up for infection,

the smell can be other things,,, the food, worms, etc,,please talk to your vet have him tell you the pros and cons before beginning, have him look at all aspects of the dogs environment
Thanks, the smell seems to be associated with some brown discharge. I just assumed it was a gland issue. It is not a constant smell just on occasions (going to the groomer is usually one of those).

But another great point! Thank you all so much.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
AHHHHAAAA,,,
Going to the groomer huh
well thar ya go :)
she is likly expressing his anal glands and he is finishing it up,,i wish groomers would NOT do that,, if they cant do it right dont do it at all
you might should speak to them about this

·
Registered
134 Posts
Um is this still an issue if the doodle has lost his ballies? (so to speak :shock: ) The reason I ask is because I've been noticing a strange smell around Sam's crate. I can't seems to pick its source but I've cleaned the crate floor and bathed Sam. The scent continues to linger. This morning, I noticed that Sam had vomitted a little in his crate overnight. Bad diet of miscellaneous leaves and twigs methinks. That was the first time I noticed the smell. Some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. :?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
OK, This thread has been helpful....

I am now of the opinion that Coco's anal gland smell
was possibly started by the groomer's expression of it....
each time I have her groomed.
Nancy, you indicated that this could make
the situation worse, or now necessary to be done frequently.
I took Coco to the vet a couple of weeks ago over this issue
....she cleaned them out and wants to see her back and
see how full they have gotten since she expressed them internally.

I hope this isn't becoming a problem....Coco occassionally stinks again and I saw her scoot her rear on the floor trying to do it herself.
Must be uncomfortable for those glands to be full???

Good firm stool doesn't seem to help her problem.
What an atrociously stinky problem to have!!!
Wonder what they will suggest we do about it.
Hopefully she will grow out of it.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
yes unfortunatly once its started it has to be continued, groomers, vets ,,when i worked with them years ago it was somthing that we had to do with every dog we bathed, that was many years ago,
normally they will express them themselves,if needed by scooting,as you described,
i dont normally do that as a general rule because one vet hospital i worked at said that if started it could cause problems,, so i just stopped,i dont have issues,
you may want to talk to your vet and see what they think, and maybe ask them to do research or have them give you info on the pros and cons of doing it
have vet recheck it to see if it is now a problem, if so with the info they give you make your own decision on what to do,
personally i dont , not to say if a dog had aproblem and they were uncomfortable i wouldnt and just deal with the consequences later,
something we all have to decide for ourselves i think :?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I only have experience with Dexter, but the vet was expressing his glands every 2-3 months and then all of a sudden (after we switched his food and his allergy issues cleared up) we went and the vet said they were barely full and I don't think they have been manually expressed since. Maybe there is a difference because of the cause? Our vet told me food allergies can cause all sorts of issues.

G

·
For whoever asked about the smell; it is a very strong fishy odor (I think)
Here is a Vet discussing it, someone suggested adding bran to the dog diet:

Certainly a diet high in roughage will aid compression of anal sacs. Many dogs when excited will spontaneously express their anal sacs, considered normal. And there are commercial products to aid in covering or reducing the anal sac odor.

The most efficient product available to remove the odor is simple ethanol, methanol or isopropyl alcohol. Careful when using any alcohol (I would suggest a dilution of isopropyl on a gauze pad) simply because it can irritate any sensitive skin. Blot the area lightly and gently.

If there is an underlying allergy problem or chronic source of skin irritation, then one usually finds excessive anal sac discharge.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490

1 - 17 of 17 Posts