Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there :D

My husband and I are getting our first Labradoodle in an hour (YAY) after months of waiting, and we are wanting to know some hints and tips on familiarizing them with swimming, and boating.

We have a pool, and we like to go boating every weekend, so if anyone has any tips, we would greatly appreciate it :D

TJ

·
Registered
968 Posts
Congrats on your new arrival! How exciting!

A few swimming/boating tips:

I don't recommend the old "throw them in the pool and they'll learn to swim" method. :shock: Our first dog, a Portuguese Water Dog, was actually scared of water because when he was a little puppy he fell into the breeder's pool and was traumatized. I think its better to be in the water with a puppy at first, to support their tummies and lift them out of the pool, etc. :)

A doggie lifejacket is something you might want to consider too, especially since you'll be boating. Good to have in case your dog falls overboard, or gets tired while swimming, etc (I've read that some dogs even like to float around in their lifejackets! How relaxing!) Plus a lot of the lifejackets have a strap that you can use to hoist your dog out of the water and into the boat easier. I got the Ruffwear K-9 Float Coat for Boo because it had good features and got good reviews. (We're waiting for warmer weather to give it a try! But it seems well made, and is insanely adorable on a doodle.) :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
even thought poodles and labs are "water" dogs, they don't all like water!

Annabelle still does not like water, she will walk in the lake but when the water hits her belly she is runnign out of it as fast as she can.

we have a life jacket for her, she's only been on the boat once but loved it, sat there like she was meant to be :) we are still working on the swimming issue and will try again when the weather warms up this spring

just dont force it.

Congrats and can't wait to see pics of your new pup !

here is AB in her jacket on the boat ride and her in the lake telling Daddy that swimming is NOT an option :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI...we have a pool, a creek that is 16ft deep and also
boats too along with 3 doodles.

1. Dog watervests are great even Pestmart has a good one for $30 or $35 the top of it has a handle , great for hauling a dog out of water when necessary
i have one from petsmart and the other one from marine shop
i like the petsmart one better...sturdier built.

2. My dogs were leary of the creek at 1st and scared POOPLESS of our pool as it's above ground and anyway we just let them float at 1st in it
building trust....THEN WE THREW a Ball IN hahhahhaa
MAX (black one) HAD to have the ball and started swimming
Peanut (cream one) now swims like a otter effortlessly gliding past us
BUT till then she always stayed on our RAFTS in the pool hahahhaa

here's a video of how I 1st attempted getting them accustomed to the pool

then success at dusk

it takes a few tries for some doodles......Peanut was QUEEN of RAFTS
how she could get up walk around on them and not fall in was beyond me hahahaaaaaaaaa cracked us up

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
:)

Dexter loves the water - Kirby does not seem to be as big of a fan (but hopefully we'll work on him this summer). We introduced Dex to our pool by carrying him in with us several times and giving him treats in the pool. He was almost 1 before we took him in (because we got him as a 2 month puppy in Sept and missed the swimming season). I think the younger they are the easier it is to introduce them.

We are also fans of the lifejacket. We have the outward hound one...

Once he got comfy, we would throw a toy (Kong Water Wubba here) for him to fetch...he loves it :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yah! Congrats on the puppy...how exciting!!!

Uma's is like a fish and she's been that way since the first time she saw water. She likes the lake a lot more than the ocean. When she was very young she was not the world's most graceful swimmer, but is much better now. She doesn't use a life jacket and I've never been worried about her drowning.

Have fun!

G

·
We took Maya on the boat for the first time she was about 4 mos old. She did not like the boat engine when we were going fast she was scared and would want to be by me so I let her and just petted her to re assure her. As far as swimming....at first she didn't really like it and would only go in as far as I or my BF did. After a few times of that she was off in the water as soon as we let her. Let your dog dictate the pace. Don't force it they will get used to it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon is a born water dog. When she was a pup, about 4 months old or so, hubby & I walked her down to our small lake and was standing on the dock. We were wondering about Cinnamon liking the water and heard a splash, turned around and Cin had walked off the dock and landed in the water and started to swim. She got out of the water and promptly walked back up on the dock and this time we watched her jump off the dock. She loves the water.

That being said, she hasn't been around regular swimming pools, but I don't imagine it would deter her much. She just loves water!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver is also a great lover of the water.
In the summer he swims locally three to five times a week
On holidays or first time area where we are not sure of currents
etc. he is always in a life jacket untill we feel it is safe.
Also last summer I was teaching him some water rescue excercises.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG hes sooo adorable!!! Last night we let him wander around the backyard with us, letting him roll in the grass, and he went running straight towards the pool - he then almost toppled in as he kept running, but saved himself and pounced off LOL :) Hes gone over a few times now and put his head in and run off, and looks very cheeky doing it :D

I am going to order a doggy life jacket today - what an awesome idea!!

Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another question, does anyone use Doggles?? Do they find they work?? I am thinking of ordering a pair for Yosh when I order a life jacket

1 - 16 of 16 Posts