Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! My labradoodle is 12 weeks old (we've had him for four weeks) and he is in puppy training class and doing pretty well with the commands "sit" "wait" and "down". The one that he is most stubborn on is the "come" command. We use very excited voices, clap and treats..but there are times when he just sits and looks at us and refuses to come. He does this with or without being on the leash. He does better for my husband who can whistle (but I cannot whistle :oops: ). Any suggestions? I know this is an important command and I'd like him to come when I call him each time. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, this is one of the most difficult commands to teach and one of the most important. You can't risk your puppy deciding when/if he will obey so don't give the command if you can't enforce it.

Also, don't tell your dog to come and then end all of the fun. Why on earth would he want to come if it means the playing stops and he has to go to bed? So, when you say "come" and he does, be sure to reward with your most yummy treats (hotdogs work great) and lots of praise. Then keep walking around on the leash and letting your puppy do a little exploring or something he loves to do.

You can do two types of "games" to teach the come command and you can enforce the command with them too...
1) get a 50 foot lead with a clip on the end and clip it to your dog's collar

2) have at least 2 people do this, you can do more if you want, but all of you have the yummy treat...

3) one person gets the pup's attention and the other has the end of the lead, the one with the lead calls the pup's name and "come" (only once, dont' keep saying , come, come, come doggie, COME!) and hold a treat near your knee (because you want the puppy to come to your knee and stop) if the pup comes, great...treat and praise and toss the end of the lead to another person

4) if the pup doesn't come, gently reel him in like a fish...and treat when he comes. Toss the lead to someone else

5) repeat...the person with the lead is always the one to call the puppy.

Another good way is to put the puppy in a down-stay and then say, "come" (only once) and if he comes, treat and praise...if not, reel him in

Only give the come command if you have a long lead and can reel him in, otherwise he will learn that he has control...and you can't let him decide that.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The tips help and I am looking forward to trying them. I find that he is most stubborn when we are just leaving our house for a walk. I'll have him on a leash and he'll just sit as soon as I open the door. It takes being a few houses away before he gets in to the groove of walking. He usually comes when called when we are in the house, but then I am able to clap too (which I can't do when holding the leash). I'd like him just to respond to my voice/command. We will keep working on this. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I had a trainer once who said that you need to teach them to respond to their name...every time you say his name and he looks at you, give him a treat. Then when he is sleeping, whisper his name and if he looks up, give a treat...have lots of treats ready (carry in a pouch) and every time he responds to you when you call him, give him a treat. Soon you can cut back on the treats and use praise...this should help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts