Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where everyone buys their dog supplies, both online and in stores? Also, when should I start trying to groom the puppy, so that he's comfortable with the groomer, and what kind of grooming supplies should I buy. And lastly, what kind of food do you feed your dog?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Best success for Jonah and Miko....Canidae all life stages. For the toys I did local petshop for products I liked, then sometimes searched for a better deal on line. Most times were just an impulse buy..... :oops:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kristen, Congratulations I'm so happy to see you have found a beautiful chocolate doodle! Chocolate is my favorite, along with cream, apricot, black, red, parti....

When do you bring your baby home?

Our dogs have been on Canidae most of their lives, it was the food our breeder fed her dogs and puppies. We tried to switch to another high rated food but Lani had allergy problems and Toby had bad gas. :shock: We switched back and all is well. Jac recently posted a link for supplies
www.petedge.com.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI Kristen...we too have Max and Peanut on all life stages Canidae due to allergies and whatnot .

we got the toys at a local pet shop, Country max and a few at petsmart.

I started working on gromming aka brushing our doodles almost right away. at first they attack and want to chew the brush alot hahhahaa so i try it , just introducing them. i found it takes 3 weeks or so before they stop biting the brush and begin to say "hmmm i think i like this attention and body brush masage" :wink: NOW both peanut line up if they see me geting their brush.
as far as clippers some of the breeders here are excellent at what brands and if you look i think just last week someone posted a topic on this.

i say have a 2nd blower handy...and around 10 weeks i introduced it to Peanut and it took her 3rd time to not be scared of it...now she LOVES beaing blow dried

Congrats!!!! how long before you bring home some delicious cute chocolate?

and when your puppy starts to defuzz or dehead toys ...just take the fuzzy stuffing out and give it back to them. they love it that way :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I'm excited you found a puppy :) We buy our toys/supplies mostly online. We like dog.com a lot. The prices are good and shipping is free when you spend over $50. We still do go to Petsmart when we need something right away, but they're so much more expensive ($10 for a nylabone vs $5 on dog.com). We buy flea/tick protection and heartguard online too (petmeds.com)...and that saves a lot of money as well.

I would suggest canidae too. Dex was on that for awhile (still didn't help w/his allergies), but he seemed to love it and it scores very well on the rating chart. The price is pretty good too - just is hard to find in some areas.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have Pepper (and all our dogs) on Canidae. It's all that Guide Dogs of America wants us to start/stay with.
I do all our own grooming, which I love since it is great bonding time. Invested in a great pair of Oster sheers. We do send her off from time t time as a blind person wouldn't do any clipping ( i would hope! :shock: )
Best Wishes

·
Registered
558 Posts
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW PUPPY. WHAT A HARD DECISION BUT EXCITING ONE AT THAT.
WE USE PET EDGE.COM TO PURCHASE ALL OF OUR GROOMING TOOLS. SOMETIMES THEY HAVE SUPER SAVER SALES ON COMBS & BRUSHES & SHAMPOO, WE BUY THE GALLON SIZES TO SAVE $$ TO USE ON ALL THE PUPS TOO.

MAKE SURE YOU ALSO GET A GOOD PAIR OF SCISSORS. WE CLIP KELSEYS HAIR ALL OVER WHEN SHE IS WET TO KEEP THE COST OF A GROOMER DOWN.
WE DO IT ALL OURSELVES NOW AFTER MAKING THE MISTAKE OF BRINGING HER TO A GROOMER ONCE AND UPON RETURNING GOING UP TO A CAGE & THINKING IT WAS HER TO HEAR THE GROOMER SAY" MAM YOUR DOG IS OVER THERE"..WE WERE MORTIFIED TO FIND HER BALD. COMPLETELY BALD. I WAS HEARTBROKEN & I KNEW SHE WAS TOO. FROM COMPLETE FLUFF TO NOTTA.

SO FROM NOW ON WE DO IT ALL. ITS FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY.

IT HAPPENED WITH THE POODLE ALSO. BUT THAT I COULD UNDERSTAND NO CHOICE WHEN HIS FUR CURLS ARE AS TIGHT AS DRUMS AND THERE IS NO OTHER WAY. NOW WE USE AN "OSTER 2 SPEED" CLIPPERS WITH BLADES #7 & #10. COOLANT SPRAY IS GOOD TO USE ALSO TO MAKE SURE NO RAZOR BURNS & THIS ALSO KEEPS THE BLADES CLEAN & RUST FREE.

WE RECENTLY PURCHASED A DRUMMEL FOR FILING THE TOE NAILS A BIT. WE HAD MADE THE MISTAKE OF NOT KEEPING UP WITH THIS WHICH IS VERY IMPORTANT TO DO. WE WERE TOLD IF THEIR NAILS ARE TOUCHING THE FLOOR , WHEN YOU HEAR THE 'CLICK" ' CLICK" "CLICK" SOUND ON THE FLOOR WHEN THEY WALK THIS COULD CAUSE THIER INDIVIDUAL TOES TO SPREAD OUT AND IF THIS HAPPENS , MUSCLE & TENDON TIGHTNESS, AND BONES START BOWING OUT CAUSING THE WORSE CASE SCENERIO, JOINT PROBLEMS AND INABILITY TO WALK RUN PLAY .....LIVE!

WE FEED RAW FOOD MOSTLY. (ANOTHER TOPIC FOR ANOTHER DAY) &
LEAVE "IAMS PUPPY FOOD FOR LARGE BREEDS" AROUND FOR A SNACKS WHEN WE ARE NOT AT HOME.

TOYS ANYTHING THAT IS VERY HARD & BOUNCY. WALLMART SOMETIMES HAVE THEM WITH THE LIL BELL INSIDE FOR 1.67 .
TENNIS BALLS HOWEVER ARE NOT GOOD , KELSEY CHEWS THE FUR OFF THE BALLS FOR ENTERTAINMENT. IM SURE ITS NOT GREAT FOR HER DIGESTIVE SYSTEM. PLUS WHEN THEY SLOPPER ALL OVER THEM & THE BALLS ROLLIN THE MUD. YUKIE MESSY DIRTY ..YOU GET THE PICTURE...
GOOD LUCK :lol: :lol: HAPPY PUPPY REARING...
GIVE YOUR NEW PUPS A HUGS FROM US.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
We've always fed our dogs Iams so thats what AB gets, she like the minichunks

I buy most of her stuff at petsmart because it is close -I've ordered from Drs. Foster and Smith online and been happy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts