Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out carpet is 12 to 14 years old and you can tell. It is so yucky. We are planning on redoing it. But i was wondering what all have you used and what you all like with your would do again. I need to start saving up to do this so I want to get some ideas what wears with dogs well. :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
honestly...with kids and dogs, I would do some sort of floor/tile and not carpet and then do area rugs. If you absolutely want carpet, I would pick a rug that has multicolors in it that contains lots of browns/tans). Our den has medium tan carpet and it doesn't show dirt too badly...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking tile or that wood lamanit ((Annmarie has some))

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
after 23 years of carpeting..........well kids, dogs, company w/their kids & dogs hahhaa
I took out 2500 sqft of carpeting replaced it with Pergo Accolade Laminate 2 years ago, other areas have 16x16in mexican tiles

1. Easy to clean
2. doesn't scratch
3. can take a real beating
4. Laminate floors sweep, vacuum,mop easily and are NOT slippery when wet (mexican tiles are hahhahaa)

5. I bought cherry laminate via www.floorone.com
and SAVED $900 they deliver right to your door too.
also used foam underlay and bought tube of stuff if any chips ever do happen.
PREP work cleaning is most of the work, putting them in is easy as pie and goes by quickly.

I know Kathie (raleighsmom) and Sue (blueteal) just installed laminate floors

medium cherry Pergo laminate ........i have it in 3 bedrooms, living room,kitchen, dining room, hallways and closets
It COSTS LESS than carpeting :shock: and no more trying to get out stains, and if a "accident" happens --easy clean up :wink: and no odors :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Last summer, we removed about 2000 sq ft of carpet, and replaced it with hardwood and more carpet.

We put carpet in the 3 bedrooms down stairs... we had that Frieze' (aka modern day shag, feels great on your feet but can't clean it) and when to a dense plush... it's much easier to clean.

The hardwood (in the middle towards the top of the hardness scale) were installed in the foyer, living room, dining room and hallway.

The hardwoods are taking a bit of a beating, but holding up pretty well, there is one big dent from a knuckle bone being flung across the house! If you do real wood, pay more for the harder wood, or you will be sorry...

The kitchen and eatin have vinyl still and when we replace it, it will be TILE!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Our house is fairly new and has new carpet, but when it comes time to replace it, we are definitely considering hardwood. Where we live laminate flooring (Pergo) is a real turn-off for re-sale, so we won't go that route unless we KNOW we are going to stay in this house long term. In the interim, the biggest issue we have with carpet is tracked in mud and dirt more than puppy accidents and I found Folex, found at WalMart, to be a miracle cleaner. The stains seriously disappear right before your eyes and it really is amazing, plus there are no heavy perfumes or ammonia-like odors. We are also looking at investing in a good steam cleaner, much cheaper than replacing our new carpet. We typically have our carpets professionally cleaned in the fall and spring. So carpet is definitely a bit more maintenance.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had thought I would put laminate in. But I wanted to see what all you had to say about such things. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I put hardwood in about 2 years ago and it was wrecked when the first dog moved in. Now I have three and rugs down everywhere to protect the wood - even in the kitchen!

Needless to say I'd save the money and go laminate if I could do it again. Then when the dogs are old and kids are gone I would have put in the nice hardwood :)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Your Pergo looks divine!! And here in North Carolina, hardwoods are standard in homes. But I am telling you, that anyone who has kids and/or dogs, will attest to the wonders of Pergo. And it looks SO real now that most people can not tell if you don't point it out.

We did Pergo tile in the kitchen of our old house and it was AWESOME! Everyone thought it was real tile and it wears like a dream.

I have hard woods in some of the first floor in the new house and just know the puppy is going to trash it!!

I worked in apartment leasing for a bit and I will say that Berber will hide a lot of dirt. However, if you get a pull in it, it can look really bad.

A question for all of you with laminate or wood floors....what do you do about your dogs sliding on the floors? Our 14 year old Cocker goes sprawling and I just hate it. I worry about her poor hips!! We have put small area rugs at the end of both stairways so she does not skid when coming down the stairs, but I just hate to see her scrabbling. With the hip issues in Labs, I worry even more about a puppy scrabbling across it!

Any advice????

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
cissyK......I have area wool rugs ranging in sizes 5 x 8ft and
also 8 x 10ft gives them better traction ---for doodle runs too :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
we are going to have to replace carpet, ours is 14 yrs old and in rough shape, I will prob put down laminate. D's mom has it and Annabelle did fine on it when we went to visit her. Carpet is a pain to clean and when it gets older it doesnt clean well - we have stains everywhere that we cant get up.
Berber is hard to clean and doggies can pull it which will ruin it.
Hardwood is pretty but you will def have scratches in it with doggies
If anyone has allergies, carpet is the worst flooring to have, all the dustmites and mold that gets in it - that is another reason I want to get rid of carpet is my indoor allergies
Good luck !

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I still have to replace upstairs carpet and I will with laminate.
Throughout the rest of the house we have slate and laminate
With all my animals hardwood would not stand a chance...............

·
Registered
968 Posts
I used to love our hardwood floors, but now that we have Boo, I HATE them!! He slip slides on those floors like Bambi on ice! :shock: And my young nieces are just as bad. (Socks + hardwood = ouchies :( ) We were worried that one of them would fall hard and break something, so we covered up most of the hardwood with room-sized area carpets and runners. We love the carpets- they're plush so the girls can lounge on the floor and watch tv, Boo can do his zoomies without slipping.

I think carpet tile is a cool option. We did a small section of our old house with "Flor" brand carpet tile and I really liked it. When one tile gets dirty, you just pull it up, hose it off, and put it back in place when its dry. :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I'd not use carpeting, but I would put down some fairly inexpensive area rugs.

I like wood, laminate, or tile flooring. Clean up is much easier and no matter how much you vacuum carpeting, you will never get the dirt and grime out of the pad! Ick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts