Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally did it. I made the call and Jorja goes in early on Monday morning, the 17th. She'll have to spend the night there. Then she will be wearing that weird thing on her head for two weeks??? That should be interesting. Have things changed that much since the last time I had a dog spayed? I've had three dogs spayed ranging from years 1977 thru 1992. I would drop the dogs off in the morning and pick them up late in the afternoon. They acted like nothing happened when they came home. No lamp shades or nothing. I guess it's best to be over cautious. Maybe someone can explain why the difference over the years.

Thanks,
Marty

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, Marty, I think that the change is in the practice...not the procedure...(possibly motivated by better care...possibly by $$) I think it is wise to keep the dog overnight...but only if the office is being manned or monitored. Why leave them there to sleep when no one is there to watch over them? Still, many vets do that.

My girls have been spayed and come home right after they wake up...and have done fine without the collar too. Personally, I don't think the collar is necessary unless you see her licking, scratching or biting at the stitches.

I saw, either on this forum or another, that they are now making soft, cloth collars that prevent the dog from reaching down to bite or lick, but it isn't big and doesn't stop their general movement. I like that. I don't recall where it is sold, but I am sure it wouldn't be hard to find.

My dogs have always found a way around an e-collar...and I just cringe when I hear them run through a door and smack that danged collar...ouch!

My best wishes to you and your baby...please let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Jac. I wondered the same thing that it might be more a money maker. This spay will cost $330 vs. $75 or $100 14 years ago for my much larger dog. I'll be sure to ask when I check her in if someone will be monitoring her during the night. I have a feeling that won't be happening. I'm sure someone pops in there several times after they close but you're right I can be with her constantly and call if there is a problem.

Another question, will my other dog, Anna, be more likely to accept Jorja after Jorja is spayed? Will she feel less threatened or whatever? Justing hoping here that someday she will really like the newcomer. :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sometimes the older dog is just more settled and they don't like the energy of a puppy...plus they have to establish the pecking order...so it could be that your Anna really likes her, but has to put her in her place!

I don't know if spaying a female makes the other females accept them better or not...I have no experience with that. Sorry.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I've had to come to accept that Anna would rather be the only dog. Some day we'll get another Doodle after Anna is gone. I have a feeling Jorja will have this puppy energy for a long time and will enjoy another playmate even if she's older. Anna is 11 years old and in really good health so I feel she will be with us for a while yet. :)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Wow! I think spaying is more expensive and physically more difficult than neutering but $330 seems steep--we paid $70 to neuter Dakota and took him home in the afternoon. A very sad and funny story is when we had our lab neutered at 8 yrs old (we inherited him). My husband and I were not experienced with dogs and care. We bought the lamp shade for Harley but did not realize we could cut it down. Until my husband's son got there the next day, poor Harley was forced to wear a 2 foot shade around his neck. Oh my goodness--what that poor dog went through for 24 hours! Poor guy for having stupid parents!! :oops:
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The price does sound steep but I called another clinic close to us and it was about the same price. It would make sense to make this procedure more affordable so that more people would do it. I'm sure there are places that will do it much cheaper but this is the vet I've had for quite a while now.

Poor Harley, did you take a picture of him? That would be one for the memory book! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
When I had my litter spayed, the actual spay was only $75 but then you add onto that the IV (which is good to have in an emergency) and a preliminary blood test (giving a baseline before surgery so that you can compare if there is trouble) and other little things...it all adds up to be around $300 total, I think...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Oh my, I count my blessings all the time. It pays to live in a small town when it comes to vet expenses. It only cost me 60.00 to neuter and 85.00 to spay. They do not stay overnight and come home as if nothing ever happened. I hate e-collars!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
George and Grace had their nueter surgery on the same day at 6 months old. Both came home that evening, no collars. Since the two were together, in order to keep them from playing too rough we did slightly sedate them for a couple of days which I think was very important, but with just one pup (and a crate to keep her from getting too active) she'll probably breeze through. She'll be so glad to see you when you pick her up!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Glad to hear the surgery went well. Our pup started to scratch at the stitches after her spay surgery so we had to put the cone on her, as well as give her some anti-itch cream that the vet gave us. Something to watch for. Hope her recovery is quick.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, everyone. My husband beat me to the vet's office and he was in the room with her. What a sight! She was crying and he was soothing her. She had the cone on her head and looked so pathetic. We have it but will only use it if she starts going after the stitches. I'll also trim it. :) I wonder if it only comes in one size. She looks so little with that thing on. I have to take her back in at 7 AM for a check up.

Thanks again, everyone!! My baby is home! :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Marty, I hope that you have a restful night with Jorga. It must have warmed your heart to see your husband comforting Jorga. We really worry about our puppies like we worry about our childern! Hugs and prayers for a quick recovery. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts