Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about this on here before and after many months of pulling and tugging, I finally got one for Sam. The manufacturers describe it as power steering for your dog and I reckon they're absolutely correct. Bought it yesterday and fitted it. Had lots of unhappy pulling and tugging on his face. Put it on again this morning and after some initial pulling and tugging, we went for a walk and Sam walked beside me on a loose tension-less leash the whole time. I am SO impressed. No prompting, no correction required. WOW!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Hip Hip hooray!!! Way to go Sam. I love my GL with Cacao it has helped so much. :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Good boy Sam.............
My Mommy carries mine now and she only has to show
it to me and I walk beside her.................these humans
are kind of crafty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woof woof
Denver

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Well done!
I just got an Easy Leader Harness for my labs. Not one was leash trained when I got them, and all are very big strong dogs already, so I'm hoping this will help me to lead them rather than the other way around. I hope mine works as well as yours!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my GL's. Both my dogs have them and it really does make walks possible......Until they came along, I was afraid I was giong to end up being dragged down the street...These dogs are strong!

Leslie

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I totally agree...it took me 1.5 yrs to give in and buy them - both doodles wear them now and I can walk both together w/o any problems...

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have one but haven't used it in a really long time. I need to again I think as Sadie is still pulling and I have bruises on my wrists to prove it! :(
She just seems so SAD when she has it on. She acts like I'm killing her while I put it on and then even when we're walking...she just seems to be concentrating on getting it OFF instead of enjoying the walk. :?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
yesterday was the 1st time ever Peanut pulled on the leash in public
which shocked me. Plus i learned how strong she is really fast,
so i may be trying out a gentle leader real soon.

anyone recommended over others or are the pretty much the same?

G

·
I have the harness for Maya and she can still pull with it but not as much. Hmmmm maybe i should get the gentle leader and see what happens. Maybe after she finishes this training class.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have the gentle leader harness not the head collar and although our puppy is only 4-5 months old I notice a huge difference when she has it on vs. when she doesn't. I would highly recommend it - at least for this age.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Annmarie - the GL is working much better for Dexter than the EZ walk harness. Also, when I walk him in the morning, the second he starts walking in front of me i make an "eh eh" negative sounding noise and give a little correction. We are now at the point I can just make the noise (no correction) and he comes back next to me. I've been doing this for about a month (5 days a week) and the improvement is amazing! We use one on Kirby too and we have such better control over him! We gave lots of treats the first time each had it on and they took to it quickly.

I would give it a try...you can find a deal on ebay sometimes...Peanut would probably be a medium (we have Large for Dex and it's a bit too large).

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Yeppers! The GL is fabulous! BUT...........our trainers won't allow us to use them anymore.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Napa has the Halti. We really like it. Our trainer liked it better than the GL because it only gives a correction when the dog is pulling. As long as Napa's moving, he doesn't have a problem with the Halti. But, if you give him a second to remember something other than the walk or he loses interest in something while wearing it, he'll try to get it off. So, those who really protest against the GL, I'd try the Halti. Oh, and this is Napa's reaction without being treated for wearing it. I'm sure that if we'd actually work on showing him how "pleasurable" it is, his reaction would become better!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Thanks Leslie :D
for the next week or so i am going to work on daily training here at home with peanut as all it may be is a refresher course to put her back on track?
and then if it continues i'll look at the GD versus a small prong collar ONLY when in public places.

I know some dont' like the prong collar but say with Max he immediately gets excited and happy when he sees it. go figure! he also is a gentle as a lamb and the real hard work of training kicks in the second he has that collar on OUTSIDE the home.
inside my house i can use his regular collar for training and he's great.

Peanut i use a martingale-like training collar which works well which is same one we have used at OB classes for Beau and Max.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just got a Gentle Leader for Juno and I LOVE IT. She's was a very strong puller on her leash (which is funny because off leash she stands right next to me). She didn't love it, but I think she;ll get used to it and it will make walks more enjoyable for all of us.

·
Registered
659 Posts
We stopped using the Gentle Leader as Ozzie was unresponsive to it. His problem was not pulling, but jumping. We had a one day "boot camp" training session last week specifically for walking on the leash and the trainer showed us how to control this behavior. Ozzie is still not perfect, but walking is MUCH better now. And he walks just fine with a plain old collar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts