Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some leash breaking issues of late, I have been considering the Gentle Leader for our 14 week old Ruby. Reviews on line have been mixed, including very strong opinions both ways. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I use the gentle leader on my dogs when training if they aren't doing well in the beginning, it gives you control of their heads and as my trainer says and I quote "the body can't go where the head doesn't go" so I'm all for the gentle leader.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that the premise for a gentle leader is really good...but it just doesn't work on every dog. My dogs never did work with them.

Like everything, you need to be consistent and train them daily, several times a day and the gentle leader may help you with that. If it doesn't work, you might want to look into other training tools.

The key to any training is commitment...no matter what tool you use...and you need to learn how to properly fit and use the gentle leader before you begin.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Chicagotjs! Congrats on the new pup! I also read your other topic about Ruby picking things up on walks. I am a big fan of the gentle leader. I used prong collars on my two labradoodles (both 1 year olds) for months and it worked very well for just pulling on the leash. But, if we saw another dog on a walk, the prong collar did not stop the jumping and lunging. One of mine also likes to pick things up on walks. The gentle leaders have completely stopped this, and now I can walk them without crossing the street when we see another dog. I think it will help you because when you pull on the gentle leader, it closes the dog's mouth. Just make sure you fit it properly- high up on the neck, very snug fitting. I got mine at www.sitstay.com because they have all of the neat colors! Good luck!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

G

·
The Gentle Leader Head Collar did not work for Bella. She rolled on her back and used her paws to try and remove it. To say she hated it is an understatement!
The Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness has worked wonders for us.
http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74
Bella does not mind it at all when we are walking and she does not pull. Premier will replace the harness if your dog chews it.
Bella DID chew through the harness yesterday. I had put it on her, then had to take a phone call. As we are leaving the house with her leash on, I noticed the harness around her BACK LEGS. She is teething ALOT and I guess the harness was irrestistible. 10 minutes and she cut it cleanly in half! I had read the guarantee when I first purchased it and thought, "Well, who would let their dog chew through the harness?" :lol:
The only cost for replacement is $5.95 shipping.
If you decide to try the other headcollar, I think it is best to try and match the color of your dog. Then it will blend in and not look like a muzzle.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Otto has the gentle leader, it does work but he hates it and I have to wait until he is occupied with doing something, I take him by surprise to put it on. It takes the enjoyment out of taking him for a walk as I dread putting it on him, but he pulls so much with just the check coller I dont have an option

·
Registered
853 Posts
I tried every collar(except a prong) and consistent training until Doc was 7 months old and then finally resigned myself to using the gentle leader. The obedience class instructer fitted it for me and showed me how to use it. I love it! It is a pleasure to take him for a walk now. Without the gentle leader, he used to walk nicely by my side UNTIL he saw people or other dogs, then the pulling started. Now he doesn't pull anymore with the gentle leader. He may try a little bit but backs off right away when he feels the pressure on his nose. All my other dogs responded quickly to a jerk on a choke collar, but Doc did not. I'm told that the labs have strong necks and are noted to be pullers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I will just add....Leno hated the gentle leader at first. He always tried to get it off with his paw. But before I used the gentle leader he always pulled me and it made his walks very short. After getting it he soon realized if he just tolerated the gentle leader he would get a longer walk. Now when he sees me grab it he knows were goin for a long walk. It probably took about 5 days of me saying "leave it" when he would try to pull it off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It worked great for Quin. He hated it at first - but I think he learned that when he saw it it meant he was going for a good, long walk. Even if she paws at it at first, persevere. And make sure it fits correctly - it doesn't work (and it is more uncomfortable for them) if it is not really tight and right up behind their eats. Read the insert.
Lisa

·
Registered
853 Posts
A helpful hint:

My obedience class trainer showed me how to give Doc a treat at the same time I slip the loop over his nose. I put my hand with the treat in the middle of the loop and while he's taking the treat, I slip the loop over his nose with the other hand. I think that is why it isn't a struggle to get it on him and he now sits very still while I buckle it. She told me not to make a big deal about taking it off either, or it would seem like a reward to get it off. He layed on the ground at first and tried pawing it off, too, but, he did not fight it as much as I've seen other dogs fight it. I really didn't want to use it at all, which is why I waited so long to try it, but, it became necessary and it is amazing how much more control I have with it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I use a Gentle Lead on Jorja and it has worked great! Now, I feel like we are going for a walk instead of her taking me for a walk. She hated it at first too but if she keeps moving she forgets about it. Some people think it's a muzzle or something and she must bite. I usually put it on when behind her. It seems easier to get it on all in one motion. I think I need to get another one for my Border Collie. She pulls too hard and it's affecting her neck. Even the vet commented on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts