Labradoodle Forums banner

Will you participate in this study on doodle shedding?

• I will participate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will not particpate

• I don't care how much doodles shed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone, I couldn't decide where to post this...hope this is a good spot!.... I DID get permission to post the info for the UC-Davis study on Labradoodle shedding.

EMail Katy Robertson and request the DNA samples for however many dogs you want to have included in the testing.
(doodles only, not poodles or Labs, I believe)

Please note she would also like info on traits in the breed!

Here's what Katy said, and her contact info:

Dear Maureen,
Thank you for thinking of us. It would be great if you want to post my contact info. We'd also love to hear about all of the traits in the breed.
Thanks!
Katy

direct inquiries on DNA collection to:

Katy Robertson
Veterinary Genetics Laboratory
University of California at Davis
(530) 752-3864
[email protected]

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/research/canine/

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
So, Maureen, will they test for free? (I'd like to have my puppies involved, but only if the new owners don't have to pay.)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh gee, Jac, that's a GOOD question!

Sorry, I wasn't very complete in my info. The test is FREE.

It's not that any of us are asking for test info but that we are helping genetic research on the shedding trait in the canine genome.

I should have been more clear, sorry. This isn't like the genetic testing that breeders pay for.

does that help clarify?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure where record of the votes goes, but I would like to participate and have voted. Thanks, what a great study!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cody is in too...

I am very curious about their results. Cody has some very lab features and some very poodle features. He's an enigma as far as what his coat will do. You know one thing I've found. I don't have very many allergy problems with him as long as I wash him once a week or more. When he goes longer than that - even if he's clean with no odor - my allergies really kick into high gear. I don't know what it is but that's it for sure. He's getting a bath today!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Katy is sending several kits as they would like to track litters according to the questions I asked and she answered. Maybe they are trying to find percentage of allergen free dogs per litter if they can get enough breeders to track their litters--just guessing.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Maureen, thanks for posting this. It appears that this is a comprehensive program and I think it will, in time, help us to verify that our dogs do, indeed, produce a different type of coat than regular breed dogs. It will be interesting to get the results.

I have asked for kits to submit for all of my dogs and my litters.

Angela, since you are not allergic to Cody when he is clean, perhaps you are allergic to the dust and other things that his coat collects in between baths. I know that my dogs get very, very dusty and they roll around in the "elements" (meaning anything they can find to roll in) and although my husband is not allergic to the dogs, he doe become allergic to the pollen and dust that they sometimes collect on their coats.

Also, if Cody plays with other dogs/cats/animals it may be the dander, saliva, fur from them, causing your reaction.

Just random thoughts...I am certainly not an expert in this! :?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hi all--in case you are curious . . .
Remember this study? For no reason at all I decided to follow-up and this is the response:

"Hi Diane,
We never received enough samples for that study so it was back burnered. We still would consider continuing with the study in the future.
Thanks for your help.
Katy"

If UC Davis decides to take this on again and we posted it to the Doodle Zoo (in addition to this site) I bet we could get a lot of participation.
diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Angela...I find my allergies kick in when Max's puppy fuzz isn't picked up daily. And I do bathe him every 3 weeks in cold weather...sometimes 2 weeks in warmer weather.
I also take FLONASE which really helps.
It's also hard to tell if with all the windows closed now due to winter if that's kicking in my allergies or it's a combo of Max and house.

I do know this--my son's asthma is fine around Max!!!! (yesss!!!)
and no one else's allergies kicks in to-date.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
stupid question here maureen, but where is there research results gonna go?

here is the dumb reason I am asking - I saw a program on tv a company is being formed to clone (ugh dont get me started) and maybe breed I cant remember hypo allergenic cats. they have a huge list and the cats are outrageously expensive and they have the patent and trademark and whatever to these so no one but them could ever breed them.

anyway is this data going to be used for anything wierd like that? they did mention they would do dogs someday - ugh again

and I know you have a cold, but I have worked 12 plus hours every day this week at my supposed part time temporary tax job lol and if I dont make sense just go on and ignore this ;)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey! 12hr shifts probably DO cause your brain to work about like mine is, right now!

A nice young woman named Katy was doing this study at UC-Davis and the doodle breeders around the country were (supposedly) helping her.

I know that VETGEN is a private business, but it was borne out of a study of animal genetics, and a combination of 2 universities' staff.

What was going to be done with the study? I don't know! Maybe the same thing - where people could have their dogs tested for shedding?
I honestly don't know!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts