Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cacao is on Nutro Puppy Small Bites and she has really bad gas. Last night my husband said it was time to switch her dog foods. Iam going to change her to canidae, but the very wants her to stay on the puppy food till she is six months old. So I thought about getting her to eat half and half. I will do it slowly. But has anyone else had a doodle with really bad gas?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Kirby has aweful gas. He has a morning routine where he stretches and toots at the same time. He also has bad SBDs at random times. We really can't switch his food due to Dex's allergies (it would be tough to feed them different things) so we just deal with the gas.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Our Lab Sam has HORRIBLE gas until we recently changed his food and that has taken care of the problem. Our Labradoodle Archie has never had a gas problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Riley had awful gas when we first brought her home - she was also on Nutro...

we started giving her a few tablespoons of plain lowfat yogurt every morning with her food...2 days later, no more gas! and it never came back, that was about 2 months ago 8)

i think it's worth a shot. we kept her on the nutro until 4 months, and we are in the process of switching food. we're switching to Canidae - i feel its a better food and i would rather feed better food than a "puppy" formula.

·
Registered
286 Posts
another thing -

since yogurt comes in a 6 oz container and i felt that was too much at once...i started using the yo baby plain by Stonyfield. its 6 4 oz containers and i use half each day, she seems to love it too.

i also mix it up with a little peanut butter or pumpkin and put it in her Kong and freeze it for a treat. she loves it!

how great would a dog-specific yogurt be? i'm thinking peanut butter flavor, sweet potato, or maybe apple/banana fruit on the bottom. add in flax seed oil for coat shine and some cod liver oil...yum!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we are going to start giving them pumpkin everyday (recommende by the vet) so maybe I'll add some yogurt in for Kirby too.

I may have exagerated...his gas isn't aweful, but he definitely has it every morning (and evening).

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver started out on Nutro and the gas was bad, to say the least
We switched to Canidae when he was about 5 months old.........
No problems and he is now 22 months old.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson has wicked gas sometimes. He eats Canidae and doesn't have it regularly so we aren't sure why he gets gassy... Maybe it is because he is always eating the cat food when we aren't around??? He won't eat the pumpkin, we tried that. Most of the time we just let it be because it's not overwhelmingly bad or anything...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Room clearing, makes company gag, its really rather unbelievable. They only get it when they eat too many raw hides, so we ration them. they had more gas when they ate kibble (Rpyal Canin) but the are raw now and its better.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try the yogurt in the Kong. Cacao loves peanut butter and two treats in her Kong. And I will try the yogurt in the morning. Thanks. What does pumpkin do?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thanks GENE...pumpkin aids in soothing the intestines
if a dog has mushy poop helps to firm them up and vice versa

Max had bad SBD's on other dog foods,,,,he's doing pretty good on canidae

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaia had pretty bad tummy troubles as a puppy - she had diarrhea for the first month we had her (on innova) so i switched her to california natural lamb & rice - few ingredients and a hypo-allergenic formula. a great food. her coat improved dramatically and it cleared everything up, but she's still somewhat gassy, although not nearly as bad. might be the bully stix and treats we use for training though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We feed Innova to our Doodle and our German Shorthaired Pointer. The GSP has THE WORST GAS! It is awful! We joke that if we cold tap him he could power the house. Do you think changing food would help. I was under the impression that Innova was a really good food???

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We feed Innova to our Doodle and our German Shorthaired Pointer. The GSP has THE WORST GAS! It is awful! We joke that if we cold tap him he could power the house. Do you think changing food would help. I was under the impression that Innova was a really good food???
It may help to change food. Even the best food in the world isn't that good if it doesn't agree with your dog. If your dog doesn't have any allergy issues I would consider changing...at least to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahhaa TEXASDOODLE ........Max could clear out a football stadium on Innova with his SBD's :wink:
we changed to Canidae, and Whew we can breathe easily again :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I guess we'll suffer through one more bag of food since we already have it and I'll look for something else. I sure hope I can find something that lessons it because it is BAD, BAD, BAD! And to make it worse I noticed today that the boys have taken to eating poop. So now he has poop breath on top of the noxious gas coming out the other end. He is one smelly dog :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
We add probiotics to Rosie's food on days that she doesn't get yogurt. It has really helped with the stinky toots! Now the only time she has bad gas is when she has managed to eat something naughty.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Texasdoodle depending on where you bought INNOVA the place should give you credit in their store.......if the gas is that bad it means your dog isnt' digesting it well and why not try switching now using Innova with new food during adjustment period

1 - 20 of 26 Posts