Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 month old labradoodle, Dave, has been doing a funny thing when he eats and I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the same....When it is time for food, Dave will go to his bowl, take a mouth full of kibble, walk over to another part of our kitchen, spit out the kibble, then eat it off the floor. I tried moving his bowl to where he goes, but then he just wanders to another part of the room. He does this about 4-6 times, then he settles in and proceeds to eat from his bowl without wandering. Strange, huh? Don't you wish you could tell what your doodle was thinking? :?:

·
Registered
118 Posts
My Pacha sometimes does the same...

Without any back up, just thinking out loud - In the wild, when a pack of canines kills a prey, every member of the pack would go in, rip of a piece of meat, and then take a couple steps away from the bounty and eat it in peace...

I suppose it might be caused by that instinct?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Johnson my Poodle is a funny eater not quite the same but he is a slow eater (a poodle thing) anyway he takes a few bites and then lays down I put him in the utility room otherwise Graicie the lab and true chowhound would gobble his down also. Anyway when you open the door to check on him he will get up and take a few more bites and when you shut the door will lay back down we go through this every morning and evening. Then at about 10:00. 10:30 after his last time out before bedtime he comes in and stands in front of the dryer and looks up like where is my snack it is snack time now. So of course he gets his snack which is the rest of his dinner he didn't eat earlier. He is such a character.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
this is a hilarious thread!

We thought our first poodle Sheba was hilarious for the SLOOOOWWW Way she eats, and that she eats laying down...but when we got our 2nd poodle and she laid down and "Lingered" over her food we started to get it!

oh, we have another thing our poodles will do when we are passing out rawhides or greenies: Sheba will take one, go off and put it somewhere, and come back for another one! :wink: She doesn't fool me but she does entertain us with that!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mia-Sophia, our little Maltese, does the very same thing....takes three pieces of food at a time and lays them on the floor, then eats them off the floor. She won't eat alone, however. I have been told that social eating is characteristic of a maltese. Toby must have the poodle-eating gene. He also lays down to eat in no hurry----it is his last priority as he will only eat when there is absolutely nothing else to do.....Wish I had that problem :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a toy poodle who would have rather starve than eat alone. He would take the first 5-6 pieces of food throw them in the air and chase them before he would actually eat. We always joked he was trying to burn off the calories he would soon consume.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chester does that too. Its like he makes a kibble trail, then follows it and eats it. Sometime he'll bring a few over to his pillow and leave them there then go back for them later. I thought he was just an attention deficit eater.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You know Coal must have the labrador eating gene as he sucks up his food like a vaccuum cleaner. His sister Frenchy on the other hand is so uninterested in her food that my mother has to put her in her crate and feed her so she can't get distracted and forget to eat! :roll: These pups are F1Bs so I would think that they would favor the poodle in most of their mannerisms but not my Coal. I suppose there may be poodles out there that go wild at feeding time too. :?: Growing up we had a lab that ate just like Coal so I just figure it's a lab thing! :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts