Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Hubby bought Boyd (and me) a Kong Dispenser as part of our Christmas gifties. The thing is great! You stuff 4 kongs, load them in the dispenser and it randomly dispenses them over a 4 hour or 8 hour time period. This is our first day back to reality after the holidays so I'm interested to see if all Kongs dispensed and if they were emptied.

As it is, whenever Boyd sees the Kong on the kitchen counter he sits there looking at us like "could you leave now so I can have my Kong please?" ........ 4 kongs are going to make his day!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Do you know where your husband got it from? Please let me know how it works out for your doodle. Poor Dexter is back to reality after 1.5 weeks of having us home all day with him and he's not liking it one bit! I have felt so guilty coming to work these last 2 days :cry:

·
Registered
853 Posts
That sounds wonderful! I need to get one of those since I will be starting nursing school on the 16th. Where did he get it? Enquiring minds want to know. :D

P.S. I googled them and found them. I'm wondering if the dogs can ruin the dispenser? I'm wondering if I left it on the edge of the counter or floor, would Doc get it and chew it up? Please let us know how Boyd does with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys. My husband bought the Kong dispenser from Jefferspet.com. Let me warn you, it was not cheap! We put the dispenser on top of the fridge and angled it so the kongs would fall and roll in the kitchen, not out into the dining room (we could picture Boyd taking out the baby gate to get at them - tee hee).

I'll let you guys know how the first day went! :lol:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks LAM. Yes, I was a little shocked at the price at first, but, I think it would be worth it. It's amazing the variation in prices, too, depending on where you get it. Putting it on top of the fridge is a great idea. :D

Wow! I just went to Jeffers and that's the best price yet! Did your hubby get the medium or large kong size?

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Hubby bought the medium kong size. BTW, the kong dispenser was featured on HGTV as a great gift. Apparently there is a video of a dog you can watch where it is mesmerized by the kong dispenser and patiently waits for the next kong to be released. I can picture Boyd sitting by the fridge all day - ha ha!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I dont think the kongs work, my doodle looks at it and walks away, he would rather have a cheap toy that he can chew and destroy

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Angie, my dogs are like yours. I wish that they liked the Kong toys...it sure would make life easier!
I have seen this dispenser and agree, looks like a great idea!

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Mornin everyone! Well, Boyd seemed to love the dispenser. They were all on the floor and empty when we got home from work. This morning when I loaded it Boyd sat very nicely and just stared at it!! :)

The only problem I had with Boyd last night is that he wouldn't stop barking after we went to bed! He finally calmed down around 1:00 a.m. (we went to bed at 10:00 p.m.). Do you think that going back to the normal routine set him off a bit? He didn't bark constantly but he'd bark for 10-15 mins, settle down, and then start back up a little later.... oy! :roll:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter has been barking a lot the last 2 nights (basically since we started working again). I'm hoping he'll go back to "normal" after getting used to his routine again. Please let me know if Boyd continues to enjoy his kong dispenser :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We had the barking problem with Cinnamon and kind of figured out it was the full moon thing. I know that if it's a full moon, we'll be woke up at least once. We now bring Cinnamon in the bedroom with us and close the door so she can't go to her favorite window and bark. She can still see out the bedroom window, but when she opens the curtains, I can "nip it in the bud"! (Now I'm showing my age - it's all those "Andy Griffith" reruns!) We also know to play with her after supper to wear her out! She loves to chase a ball or her "Kong" frisbee. It's always hubby's job to do that while I'm cleaning up after supper. If it's raining, we play with her on the stairway - running up and down stairs is also a good workout!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
And..... last night was a full moon and Boyd was sitting by the back door (all glass) looking out and barking!!! Wow!!!

I find that playing fetch and doing the stair thing does wonders!! It's a good work out for me too! :lol:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Angie and Jac - Do your dogs ignore Kongs filled with treats or empty kongs? Doc definitely ignores an empty kong, but a kong stuffed with treats will keep him busy for a little while.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
For me, it is both...the treats keep them occupied for a very short while, but after that, they move on to other things. They'd much rather chew on a hoof or bully stick...they have never been at all interested in Kongs.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ah, I can see your point. If something else occupies them longer, then why bother....

Are the bully sticks worth the price? How long do they typically last?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, my dogs are very aggressive chewers so bully sticks don't really last too long either...but they do love them! I always get at least the 12 inch size and they last...oh, maybe 3-4 hours...but they have fun stealing them from each other. :?

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
We get the braided bully sticks for Boyd and he loves them!! We save them for those times when we need a "babysitter" - he'll chew on them forever!!! A word of caution.....they stink to high heaven!! :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts