Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just got back from the dog park near my house with Coal (first time there) and he absolutely LOVED it. He went bonkers the whole time and just wagged that little tail at every dog he saw (even the scary looking ones that made me nervous!) :shock: . Anyway, this brings me to my question. What the heck am I to do if one of those other doggies wants to attack my dog? I felt very helpless watching him running straight up to MUCH bigger dogs including 2 pitbulls!!!! Luckily Coal's greatest problem at the dog park was with a female husky pup that wanted to play rough. She was a tough little girl and we decided to leave after she pinned Coal for about the 5th time. He still looked like he was having fun but I couldn't accept the fact that he was getting beat up by a girl LOL just teasing but it was getting a little much for me!!! So, have you guys ever had to break anything up at the dog park?? How do you go about such a thing without becoming injured yourself? I hope I never need to use this info but just incase!! Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
First off don't get in the middle of the fight if it truely is a fight. Your face and hands will suffer highly if you do. The best thing is if there is any water around to hose the dogs down and I know most parks probably won't have these so I suggest talking one of those big bottles that you can squirt water out of. Hopefully there will be an owner of the other dog there to help or someone. Grab whatever you can to put in between them if you can find something. I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for but you have to remember that if the two dogs are truely fighting you will get bit. I think going to the parks are nice just watch the dogs that you let approach our little Coal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Stacy,

I think it's also important to remember that "real" dog fights, hardly EVER occur. Dogs play, and in "Doggish" playing means roughing each other. It's all pack dynamics. You noted yourself that Coal didn't mind being pinned down by a girl 5 times in a row... Apparently he can live with submitting to her, so he was having the time of his live. The best thing for Coal to be socialized well and learn from other dogs, is to intervene as little as possible. They have great mechanisms themselves. When another dog is hurting Coal, he will cry, and I promise you, the other dogs will stop doing what he's doing INSTANTENEOUSLY.

I know can all be scary looking when they go at it, but we should all not forget these are dogs, and they have different 'manners' than we do ;)

Best of luck,

Michael.

·
Registered
118 Posts
By the way - to answer your question about my own dog park experience - I've been going with Pacha and Maggie about twice, three times a week, sometimes more, since about 3 months of age. I've never had to break anything up.

Really, 99.9% of dogs don't want to hurt other dogs - it's just about showing who's the boss, and who's not... And again, as soon as your pup is being hurt, he'll let the other dog know by crying - which automatically means to the other dogs that your pup is confirming his submission to him. The End ;)

Have fun next time you take Coal to the dogpark. If you can let go enough, it's really very fun and interesting to just stand by and watch the dynamics between these dogs. After a while you can almost make out what they're trying to 'say' to each other.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Stacy, as hard as it is (and I don't really know if I could do this) when your dog is getting into a scary situation, don't lift him up and try to protect him.
Michael is so right, it is communication with the dogs and some dogs need to set the ground rules. It sounds like Coal has good instincts and becomes submissive, which is good because he is no threat to the other dogs.
Generally there is no unprovoked attacks on dogs at dog parks because generally the dogs trained to be really mean (guard dogs) don't get taken to dog parks!
So, the dogs you encounter at dog parks are usually pets. Some are more aggressive, but most are not a serious threat.
Our dogs absolutely love the dog parks, I think that Coal will too!
I have read that if two dogs are fighting that you can open an umbrella really fast, open and close, and do it as closely as you dare to go to the other dog...but I don't know if that would be wise. I do know that you are not supposed to make eye contact with a vicious dog...if something happens, turn the other way SLOWLY and WALK away. You can glance behind you but don't make eye contact with the other dog.
Heck, you might want to take a yummy treat like a bully stick and drop it so that the dog will get distracted with that! LOL

·
Registered
689 Posts
And, as silly as this sounds, keep your knees flexed when you're standing around. I was almost taken down by a rambunctious group running by me. If my knees were locked I really could have gotten hurt.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am taking Coal to the dog park again today. He gets neutered tomorrow and I want him to have some good fun and exercise before he has to lie low for a few days. Chesterpal, thanks for the advice about keeping your knees bent! I understood pretty quickly after arriving at the park that the dogs are mighty playful and fast!! I'll post later and let y'all know how we made out today. Hopefully I can relax a little more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
According to Stanley Cohen's book dogs do not want to fight, and it is all just show. I believe this.... But, i had an awful experience with my German Shepherd about 5 years ago that I find hard to forget...

Two strange dogs were in my fathers garage. Dad started to open the door to the garage and they barged in through him, he tried to shut the door on their heads but didnt work. I was in the entry way (about 3 feet wide) adn I tried to stop them but they plowed through me. My German Shepherd was in the kitchen (they couldnt see her when they barged into the house so must of smelled her). They attacked her like wolves. One on her neck one on her rump. It took 6 people to beat these dogs off her, and an awful long time. It was a pit bull, and her daughter (we later found out) which was pit bull/ rottie mix. Dad eventually got the mother dog by one ear and pulled on it while he repeatidly punched it in the head. Eventually the dog went for a deeper grasp and dad pulled it back with both ears and sat on it. The other dog was pulled of by my cousin by the hind legs (lost confidence when mom dog pulled away). But than the dog tried to turn on my father (who thankfully is a very strong man). That dog litterly was lifting him like a rodeo bull, with dad still holding onto the dogs ears. Sounds cruel but we had no choice but we duct taped the mouth. Not easy, so the dog could still bit but not as big of bite. So we put the dogs in the dog run out back, had to put a leash on him and put it through the wire and hold him there so dad could get out without getting attacked. Thankfully the other dog became calm once the first one conquered. My point is that it is impossible to break up a true dog fight. If it wasnt for my father we would never got them apart and we were beating them with wooden stools and everything. And I am not trying to scare you for going to the park, i think they are a great idea, and like Jac said, the owners of these two dogs wouldnt take there dog there anyway.
I dont advise trying to break up a dog fight but when it is your baby being attacked by two dogs which intent to kill her you really dont take the time to think about what is wise. Those dogs could of turned on us and attacked/ killed us. Dad ended up with a broken hand, and mom went flying down the stairs (not many) in the commotion and could of been really hurt.

Dad wanted to shoot the dogs but we convinced him it would be best to call the police. We should of just shot the dogs. The police started to queston us what we were doing b/c it was 1 am (it was a weekend and we were playing cards). Than they said they couldnt shoot them it was up to dog protrol. We called dog protrol and they couldnt come out to monday and wanted us to feed them and worried that they might be cold. We ended up phoning the K9 police devision in the city and they had a dog catcher from our area come out in the morning. He had to put them on the long handled thing and they were 'humainly destroyed' . They turned out to be the boot leggers dogs in town, and our dog was their third attack.

I was showing my shepherd at the time and she could no longer handle the dogs at the show so we quite. I still tense up when strange dogs meet but i am getting much better. If I had a doggie park around here i would surely take my dogs. Sure hope i havent scared any one. It is just the shows they put on of aggression look scarey to us but they are far far away from the real thing.
Terri lynn

·
Registered
146 Posts
We went to the dog park today! It was a perfect day. When we arrived there were two little puppies, a lab and a golden, on their way out. When I approached the guy he asked if Gunner was a Labradoodle. I was shocked! Gunner got recognized in San Marcos. He said there is a lady who brings her doodle, who weighs 80+! I can't wait to run into her. We will be back.

Gunner had a good time, but stayed pretty close. He played with the other dogs that wear near me, but didn't run too far away. Perfect!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts