Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't hunt but want to help my dog to experience some of his instinctual behaviors of being a retriever/gun dog. Doe anyone play games or have activities that allow their dog to fulfill these primal needs? We go for a couple of 2-3 mile pack walks a day (me, my Doodle, and my Jack Russell) and we are going through the stages of obedience training right now, but I want to give him more.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
what s fun is allowing Toby to run and fetch with 4
golden retriever s each day..he s starting to pick
up some retrieving skill s just hanging around
that posse..

·
Registered
448 Posts
We play both "Fetch" and "Catch" using balls. I don't want Nicky to retrieve anything other than toys! Nicky's favorite outdoor ball is the JW Pet Holee-Roller in size medium. It is the toy that has lasted the longest, other than his Kong.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We make Henry sit and stay and then we hide his Kong all over the house and then he hunts for it. He loves it. We started out by letting him see which room we were going in to make it easier. We sometimes do it outside but he gets distracted by other things.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You could also check out books and videos from the library about gun dog training. Some of the things they teach- various retrieving scenarios, retrieving equipment, etc., could be adapted into fun games. (I tried some things with Boo, but it turns out he has zero interest in retrieving, hahaha! :lol: )

If your dog has a good sniffer you could try a beginners "tracking" class.

I also got a DVD thru Netflix called "Beginning and Advanced Training for Your Retriever". It was old and got boring after a while, but worth renting. Not worth buying though.

You could also check out "hunting dog" magazines. And since poodles and labs have both been used for water retrieving, you could get a wading pool and incorporate that into various games. A few doodles on the forum even do "dock diving!:D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Definitely fetching in the water! Tuesday about drowned at first but once she got the hang of swimming, it has become an important part of her summer exercise!
Both Labs & poodles are water dogs, so it is only natural that this would be something they would love!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we play fetch daily.......also peanut loves to fetch her DUCK
while max prefers the kong ball

sometimes I also hide crumbs or tidbits under the toekick of kitchen cabinets and let her loose .....she snifs hunts and devours

·
Registered
659 Posts
Definitely fetch but only with Ozzie's stuffed animals that actually look like an animal or fowl. I'm considering paying the neighbor's kid to dress in a duck suit and run around our yard flapping his arms and quacking.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
ChasP505 said:
Definitely fetch but only with Ozzie's stuffed animals that actually look like an animal or fowl. I'm considering paying the neighbor's kid to dress in a duck suit and run around our yard flapping his arms and quacking.
bahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Make sure you take pictures of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
teehee you crack me up..........

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fetch and retrieve. Everyday. Charlie's sister is a golden and she would do that until she drops. His focus is getting better and he's becoming a pretty good retriever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts