Labradoodle Forums banner

Frustrations with getting a teaching job....

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Cinsmom 
#1 ·
I am venting on here because I am on this forum the most and I figure that one of you may have a suggestion for me.
I am a teacher, and unfortunately I am a social studies teacher. I have four years of experience and will be finishing my masters in outdoor recreation this year. This has created a situation where I cannot get a job for good. Right now I am teaching on an temporary contract in an urban school system that has no room for me to be placed next year because my school and 7 others are closing.
I have interviewed at many schools, when I get lucky enough to get an intereview. I have IMPECCABLE reccommendations from administrators and fellow teachers. My current principal wants to take me with her, but they had to place all the veteran teachers first.
So here I am... with no job for next year and frustrated out of my mind. I am about fed up with my state and finding a 6-12 social studies position. I have applied in Colorado and North Carolina because I figure that I would rather worry about selling my house than not have a job. The only reason that I have no job security is because I stayed at a teaching job until I had raced up 3 years experience before I admitted that that charter high school wasn't right for me.
I don't understand why we, as a society, value experience in so many fields, but education isn't one of them. Just because I know how to run a classroom and have a higher pay than the new college grads I have placed myself out of a job. This has made me particularly irate today because I was offered a parttime position at a private school with no benefits. I hate to think that that may be my best option.
Thanks for letting me vent and if there is a social studies posiiton in your area with possibly a coaching need for girls sports... please let me know :)

See less See more
#8 ·
I am so sorry to hear about the tough time you are having finding a teaching job where you live.
I know in rochester NY (where i am) there are openings but not sure you'd want to go this northeast.
Dave's S-in-law has a PHD in English, she now is teaching at a inner city high school and went thru what you are now.

I really do hope you find work soon.i myself have a computer degree that has much dust on it and had to find other work in 2004 due to the market.

I really hope you find work soon ---as i am in the same position and am doing work that you only get paid when the job is completed which can take months. And no benefits either.

#9 ·
I have four years of experience and will be finishing my masters in outdoor recreation this year. This has created a situation where I cannot get a job for good.

Have you considered using your Outdoor Rec degree to get a job? I would rather work outdoors myself :D Perhaps a local,state,federal job in parks and rec would suit you. Just a thought...mtd

#10 ·
thanks

Just to clarify... there are too many social studies teachers, but I LOVE teaching the subjects. If I was in another subject area it would be easier to get a job. It costs a lot of money that I do not have or qualify for a student loan for to get certified in those other areas, or else I would get certified in science.
I would LOVE to move to the mountains. I would be able to use my grad degree more easily than here in Indiana.... not much outdoor recreation here except for flatland sports stuff. I prefer wilderness.
I only hope that I am one day able to teach at a school where I can teach and also lead outdoor education trips. That would be IDEAL!

#11 ·
Would you be opposed to Hawaii? I know that there has been talk about a need for teachers in Hawaii. I'm not sure if it is SpEd, GenEd or both. A woman I work with was talking about 2 recent grads going together to teach in Hawaii since there is a need. Just a thought, something to check out. Lot of outdoor things to do on the islands!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.