Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local mom-and-pop pet supply store, and the owner was talking about how much dogs love raw frozen beef bones, so I got a pack of two for Dex, and he's happily engrossed. I don't think he's come up for air yet.

I walked over by him and said "Hey there Dex" and he was all "Yeah, whatever mom."

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahhahahaaaaaa LYNN.........great pic!!!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Cute picture! Isn't it great when we can do something so small that brings such pleasure to our babies? Good job!
Okay, the downside...be sure that he only gets these bones in his crate! Otherwise, you will find them on your bed, your sofa, your favorite rug...
Believe me...I KNOW!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Jac
Bahahaahhahahahaa!!!
You forgot slipper.
That is such a nice feeling to put on your
shoe or slipper and discover a nice left over dog treat in there.
Bahahahahaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, this raises two questions:

How often can/should I give him a raw bone?

And once I give it to him, how long can he chew it without it becoming a "biohazard" of sorts (I'm thinking of all the nasty microbes associated with room-temp meat)? When should I chuck it?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I give Tanner an occasional frozen raw bone. When he was younger (he is almost 11 months) I started out with give it to him for only 10 minutes then back into a plastic back and refreeze or refrigerate. The marrow is very rich and I was advised to go slow. Once he could have it for longer, I would let him have it for maybe 30 minutes. Now he completely cleans it up at one time then he can have it as it is clean and dry. I always put a old sheet or beach towels down for him to chew it on...very messy otherwise :wink: :wink:

Now I give him one or two per week.

Oh, I only give them to him when I am there in same room to supervise..don't leave them with him when I leave the house.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Annie!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I give them to Merry and Pippin too anytime I know I need some completely uninterrupted time, like when I'm working from home on my PC, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts