Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charlie, our 10 mth old doodle, is such a fraidy cat. Does anyone else have a doodle that is afraid of every new sound/sight? We've had him since June, took him to puppy class, socialized him, exposed him to lots of things, but he is just so scared of everything. His tail goes between his legs and he seems nervous. Sometimes he'll go toward the "thing" that scares him (bike, strange person, snowman, whatever) and bark and then back away. I'm just really nervous because some of his "fear" has lead to snapping (at my niece and another dog). We've taken him to a dog behaviorist (one on one training) and are working on some things. But, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this with thier doodle. We are expecting a baby in June and I already know he'll be afraid of the noises from the baby and the baby's things (toys, highchair, swings, etc). The last thing I want is him barking at her or being agressive in any way because he's afraid. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Beta Doodle

Yes, our Chewbacca (16 weeks/35 lbs) is a "wimp". I have always had big dogs and they have all been "Alpha" dogs by nature. Chewbacca will pinch off in mid-poop if another area dog barks or a motorcycle drive by and puts his tail between his legs and beats feet to the safety of the house! We started puppy kindergarden last week and he behaves great in class (he is the largest puppy in class)...the trainer believes he will slowly grow out of the the "irrational wimp" behavior since he behaves quite normally in class...He has not exhibited any snapping or other antisocial behavior. For the last week (based on the trainer suggestions) I have been taking him to other places...PetsSmart, Public Parks, longer walks in the neighborhood so he becomes exposed to different environmental issues...cars, walkers, joggers, trucks, lawnmowers, leafblowers etc...I think it is helping...definitely not hurting!

Jim & Chewbacca

1 - 3 of 3 Posts