Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just went to the 5 A's shelter to take them the receipt for the neutering and get a refund of our deposit. The lady that was there was asking how Dex is doing. When we got him, the young girl there didn't know much about him. But this lady is a pro and she told us the whole thing. Each turn of events could have prevented us from having our beloved little Dex. It's funny how things turn out.

How I ended up with mommy & daddy (by Dexter)

I was bought from a breeder by a girl for her grandma, as a gift. But unfortunately very shortly grandma passed away. The girl couldn't keep me in her apartment, so I went to live with her parents in the country. The parents didn't want an inside doggy, and didn't take precautions to fence me in. So I was bored and wandered off to the neighbors. They took me to the local vet, who scanned my neck and found out I had a chip. But instead of calling Home Again, who had my chip info, they called the 5 A's shelter. The 5 A's kept me for a couple days, then the girl came back for me. But a few days later she brought me back and signed over the rights to me. I now was officially an orphan. The next day, the people who had found me and taken me to the vet found out I was a pretty expensive doggy, and decided they wanted me back. They went to the 5 A's and demanded they hand me over. The lady there is no pushover, and said they had the rights to me now and there would be no demanding. They were welcome to pay the normal adoption fee, but that's the only way they could have me. They threw a big hissy fit and got into it with the director, who threw them out. Thank goodness, good riddens. Anyway, then a girl came and wanted me, but the smart shelter lady overheard the lady say she wanted a small dog. The girl that doesn't know much had her convinced that I was not going to get any bigger. At the last minute, the smart shelter lady stepped in and corrected her, and said I would grow to be the size of a lab at least. So that lady said "sorry, honey". I was kinda sad, but new people were about to come for me, and they were the best people. Mommy and daddy came in, fell in love, and said they didn't care how big I got, and they didn't mind paying for me, so off I went to live with Rita and Kevin, for the rest of my life.

When I heard that story I was almost in tears, thinking how close we came to not finding our little man. Guess it was in the stars.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Oh Dexter...you are such a lucky guy..........just like me....I am with my mom and dad, Tim and Annie, loved and in my forever home.

Somethings are just meant to be :) :) :)

Woof....Woof...

Your pal, Tanner

G

·
Hi Dexter. My mom always says things happen for a reason!! I am so happy that you found your forever home with such great parents. Don't be a pushover though, you must keep them on their toes!

Aarfs, Boyd

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I am reading this story on my lunch break and now I am crying, but
I am very happy for the wonderful ending to yet another terrific Doodle story.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Sue, sorry to make you blubber at work. I'm sure if anybody's a doggy mommy there, they'll understand. I found the story so upsetting. Hearing about my precious baby out there wandering around alone, he could have gotten hit, or anything. I just wanted to shake the people who left him outside unattended. But then again, if they had been more attentive, I wouldn't have my baby. He's had a lot of adventure for such a little guy, but those days are over. It's smooth sailing from here on in.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Hey Dex!
Molly and I are sooo very happy you got a second chance at a wonderful life with a Mom & Day that really,really love you!!!
Be a good pup, and maybe someday, you'll have another Doodle brother or sister to play with!
Your pal,
Rrr-aleigh

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Thanks for sharing Dexter! You know you made my dad all teary eyed too, but he gave me a real big hug cause I had a tough start too! Glad you held out for the perfect parents. I'm glad my dad came and got me!! Even if my head is always wet from my big moose of a brother!

Miko......"rescues rule!!"

G

·
We almost missed out on Bella, too.
First, I was scanning Petfinder every day. I found an adorable Westie terrier and applied for her. The rescue lady emailed me that she had severe separation anxiety issues, so they wanted a home with another dog for company.
Then, I saw Bella and her sister. I immediately called and the rescue lady remembered me from the last time. She said she would hold Bella and I could come meet her at the adoption rally on Sunday. We get there and a lady is walking around holding one of the girl puppies. She would not even let us look at her. :? I found the rescue lady and tell her who I am and remind her that she is holding the puppy for us. She shows us Bella (not the puppy the lady is carrying around), and we take her into the office to do the paperwork. While we were doing the paperwork, 3! three! more families arrive and say they were told that a Labradoodle would be held for them. I just kept holding Bella and doing the paperwork. I could not even look up....children were crying, parents were angry...now I know why that lady did not want us near HER puppy! :lol:
We were so lucky that day! I am glad we were early (for once!)

G

·
Gene,
I just missed being the family with THREE crying children! It never crossed my mind that after completing a major application, being approved and having them promise to hold her, that I might not actually GET HER! Her Petfinder photo was blown up on our fridge for days, and the children were SOOO excited! I just could not wait to get her out of there! :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those are amazing stories and I am glad you all shared them - they gave me the chills. Your doods certainly belong with you don't they AND they deserve it. Look what a wonderful family of animal lovers we are!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Look what a wonderful family of animal lovers we are!
Dream Dog Mom
Ditto to that statement for sure. This is what makes this forum NUMBER 1, as we are all into sharing and helping each other unlike other forums where I find there is too much "My dog breed is better than yours etc"
What other forum has people like us who are mostly total strangers that genuinely care when one of us gets a new Doodle or we just need to share a Poopy story :wink: I have made wonderful new friends here and am very addicted to what people here have to say. As Dream Dog Mom said, this is a wonderful family of animal lovers and I am very very proud to be part of it. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I totally agree! Who else would believe half the things tah happen, let alone laugh/cry about them. Also, where else could I find a group of people who "get" my humor or lack there of!! :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Also, where else could I find a group of people who "get" my humor or lack there of!!
Your sense of humour is a big part of what makes this forum special.
You crack me up. I said once before that there are some potential Stand up Comediens in here and everyday I am convinced of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts