Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did the second dog change the dynamics of your relationship with the dogs? How long is the adjustment period before things reach a "normal" state?

I've never had more than one dog before and we're adjusting to life with our foster dog who arrived on Friday. Both Charlie and Lucky are about the same age: 8-9 months. Maybe the puppiness has something to do with it but they are totally inseparable. Some of this I expected.

What I didn't expect is this feeling of loss. I always knew Charlie would love having another dog to play with. I just didn't realize that he would be totally focused on the other dog. I'm used to having my doodle all to myself! I miss him! Yes, I make sure to spend time with each dog separately but its not the same as the total devotion that used to exist.

So... any advice? words of wisdom?

Deb

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can't really help because I only have Uma right now, but we are hoping to add another doodle in 2008 and that is something I've always wondered about. I love being the center of Uma's universe and I know once the puppy comes I'll be old news. I'm looking forward to everyone's answer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We got Frankie at 8 weeks and Frankie was 10 months old. I went through the same feelings. I was used to Tucker laying on my lap and talking to me with his doodle eyes. He could care less about me when he got his brother. It probably took about a month before Frankie would connect with me and than Tucker wanted his mom back. If he hears me "doggy talkin'" to Frankie he comes running. I'm sure you will get your doodle back, he just has a new toy. I love having two, and Frankie is 17 weeks and just in the last 3-4 weeks I can say he will talk to me with doodle eyes. Because there again he had someone much more fun to bond with.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Aww... see about a month or so ago, I was "attached" to Napa, but not "attached." I wasn't so attached that bringing another puppy into our household and having Napa become attached to the puppy for a little bit and then focus back on me wouldn't have been a problem. But I think now, I'd definitely feel withdrawal. I'm definitely the pack leader in the household (most of the time anyway) so Napa comes and lays with me.... and he licks my face any chance he gets. I think I would seriously miss that. I dunno how I'm going to handle being away from him for two weeks. Although, I do have my parents' dog.... but but he's just not Napa!

But, on the flip side, I'm glad we didn't get a puppy. We would have had to keep them separated for a while to let Napa heal. I'm sure that would have worked...... not!

Anyway, sorry for going off topic. I'm sure that things will settle down after a bit.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Deb we have other dogs in our home anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks at a time, Annabelle wants to play play play, but she also knows who Mom is and will come and give me attention - just keep loving on Charlie and Lucky - it will likely work it self out

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I felt the same way when I got Miko, and then again when I got Rumor. It's great for them.....new playmates and someone that can actually PLAY their games.....wrestle, doodle5000, play bite. Now they all come to me for that serious one-on-one. Sometimes even competing for the attention....doing something silly, nudging or just who can have the saddest eyes. Sometimes it even makes you feel more loved! :wink:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments. Katie, you hit the nail on the head and it helps to know others understand. I was really feeling sorry for myself last night - tired, weepy.

This morning seems better. Both dogs want attention and are happy. I'm going to work and I think a few dogless hours will give me some perspective.

As I type, Charlie is sitting on the steps above Lucky barking at him, trying to bait him into play. :roll: Poor Lucky would be content to sit and chew on toys.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
DebBrown said:
How did the second dog change the dynamics of your relationship with the dogs? How long is the adjustment period before things reach a "normal" state?

I've never had more than one dog before and we're adjusting to life with our foster dog who arrived on Friday. Both Charlie and Lucky are about the same age: 8-9 months. Maybe the puppiness has something to do with it but they are totally inseparable. Some of this I expected.

What I didn't expect is this feeling of loss. I always knew Charlie would love having another dog to play with. I just didn't realize that he would be totally focused on the other dog. I'm used to having my doodle all to myself! I miss him! Yes, I make sure to spend time with each dog separately but its not the same as the total devotion that used to exist.

So... any advice? words of wisdom?

Deb
Deb BOY do i ever empathize with you!!!
MAX was 7mos old when we brought Peanut home at 9 weeks old
OMG Max got an instant PERM when he saw Peanut and bonded so closely from day 1.
It seemed like weeks on end BEFORE Max remembered how close he and I were hahahhahaa and i felt left out at times hahahhaa and worried too he'd bond more with her and not me anymore.

So YES i'd say the age and Puppiness had something to do with it. Cause now it's different when i brought Beau into our home 5 weeks ago.
This time Max was 16mos, peanut 11mos old ...Beau was 15 weeks old

This times Max didnt' 'trade" me in hahhahaa nor peanut. They were so excited to play with him but stayed close to me. Also Max is much calmer this time...NO instant turbo charge and perm hahahhaa

OH and gene will say the same too...for some reason 3 doodles are much easier and they seem to balance each other out.

note: i did the same as you , made one on one time. it does help later on with training, respect etc and also why not!! great way to give them the personal love they each need with you and vice versa

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Annmarie, Gene... THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DOODLE! LOL!

I'm really happy to hear your comments. I'm also optimistic that in the future, foster doodles of a different age may respond differently. Charlie will indeed mature, right? RIGHT?

Here I am at work missing them. Too bad I never trained Charlie to answer the phone...

Deb

G

·
hahahaha my best friend was just talking to me about this today. I am away and she went over to feed Maya and she brought her dog and she was gonna put both dogs in my backyard for the day so they can play. Maya was so excited to see Lisa(my friend) and then after Maya ate, Lisa let her dog Tori in. Lisa was complaining that she felt like chop liver cause both of them ignored her and ran out back to play.

I don't think I could get another until Maya is older cause if she gave me the cold shoulder to play with the new dog all the time I think I would cry.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm happy to say that I came home to two very happy doodles today. Charlie jumped all over me (something I usually discourage) and wanted to snuggle. Of course, I was in tears again. :roll:

Both dogs are actually pretty calm now so I've learned something. They NEED to rest. A day of quiet seems to have done them good. I walked them both for a hour. Our ice finally melted. Lucky didn't pull as much but I couldn't work with him on heeling since Charlie was not going to give up his place at my left side. :lol:

And just a note... I'm not usually such a cry baby but I think I'm fighting some germs. My daughter and granddaughter have strep and I'm on the verge. I'm tired, achy and a big baby today.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ME THINKS you should allllllllllll stop THINKING hahahahhahaaa!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We had such a good night here! Now I'm crying with happiness. :?

The dogs played nicely, even snuggled each other. Then Charlie settled in with me in our favorite chair and Lucky cuddled up to my husband on the couch. I really didn't want Lucky on furniture but the poor guy was so needy. Lucky finally relaxed and enjoyed the physical contact. My husband enjoyed it too since Charlie is always MY dog.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Lucky is just that right now...perfect name :wink:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ok.....I am in constant anticipation for
Abby's homecoming day....this Saturday.
Coco will meet her on neutral ground;
we may take her with us out to the country
to pick up Abby. I can't imagine how I will feel
if Coco prefers the new puppy....but I already have
had withdrawals from her constant attention.
While I was out of town for 10 days, she really
grew close to my sons and husband....not that she
wasn't close to them before, but it is different now.
They are really tighter now.
She also wants off our bed at night to go out
and sleep in the den, or front hall.
With the puppy sleeping in our room at night,
Coco may decide she has to be in there, too...
or she will miss something.....be jealous, or whatever....
I just don't know what to expect.....but you know I will let you know!!
:lol:

I am glad it sounds like everyone's newcomer was welcomed
and played well with the older one....that comforts me a lot....
Really more concerned about Coco treating Abby badly,
than treating me with indifference....
Yikes!! It is only 4 days away!
:shock:
8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts