Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this article detailing a plan for itchy doodles. Here is an excerpt. I think the advice looks excellent as we have seen some people trying bits and pieces of it with good results. I think seeing a comprehensive plan from a holistic vet could be helpful. Let me know what you think and results if anyone tries it out (he does say it can take 6 months to see results):

http://thebark.com/ezine/living_health/ ... g_000.html

Soothers

Here are some ways to help improve your dog's dry skin.

-When your dog needs a bath, try using plain water, a good, non-drying solvent. If you must use shampoo, use a moisturizing type with humectants, and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Avoid blow dryers.

-If you have your dog groomed, speak to the groomer about turning down the heat on the blow dryer (it's usually set pretty high).

-Feed moist food-canned, cooked, homemade or raw.

-Add digestive enzymes to every meal (probiotic bacteria, 2 to 10 billion CFUs/day).

-Provide fresh, filtered drinking water.

-Add fresh oils and other supplements to meals-

•Flax seed oil (1/2 tsp of oil per 15 pounds of body weight twice daily) or freshly milled flax seeds (1.5 tsp per 15 pounds of body weight twice daily)

•EPA/DHA from fish oil or algae (5 to 20 mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day)

•Lecithin granules (1/4 tsp. to 1 Tbs. per meal)

•Nutritional yeast (1/2 to 1 tsp. per meal) or hypoallergenic B complex (10 to 50 mg twice daily)

•Kelp powder (1/4 to 1 tsp. per meal daily)

•Spirulina (500 to 1,000 mg twice daily with meals)

•Alfalfa, nettles or horsetail (dried or powdered, 1/4 to 1 tsp. of individual herb or a mixture)

© 2007 Robert Silver, DVM

Dr. Robert Silver is the chief of staff and lead veterinarian for Boulder's Natural Animal: An Integrative Wellness Center for Pets and their people in Boulder, Colo., a full-service veterinary hospital providing a blend of Western conventional medical therapies and alternative therapies for dogs and cats. Dr. Silver is a member of the scientific advisory board for the Veterinary Botanical Medical Association and past president of the Rocky Mountain Holistic Veterinary Medical Association. http://www.bouldersnaturalanimal.com/index.html

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ah, we should definitely try this method with Sammy who is still plaqued by the itchies...

Thanks muchly!!!
Linda, out of curiousity, have you tried any of the above mentioned?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
No, Bella is not itchy, so I have not needed it. But the oils are great for their coats and the probiotics are good for their tummys, not sure about kelp, spirulina, alfalfa (don't horses eat that?), nettles or horsetail...maybe Vasessa could tell us what she thinks.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
interesting...we definitely have itchy doodles. I'm curious to see if the switch to fish/potato food will help. Maybe I'll think about the other ideas.

Question for everyone...what kind of water do you give your doodles? I always give them tap water (maybe I'm a bad mom)...just curious. I myself drink water from a brita so I'm not huge on all the bottled waters even for myself...just curious :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
leslie my doodles get the same water me and family do, from the kitchen sink faucet: tap water.

AND LINDA great post with really good info.

Max last year as some of you recall had horrible digestive issues along with loss of hair, flaking and itchy skin, bloodshot eyes , weight loss etc

2 things helped:
homemade diet that was customized which included digestive enzymes, kelp/algae, anitoxidant food that also aided with digestion of nutrients and loaded with vitamins, omega 3 fish oil, and more.
RESULTS : bloodshot eyes gone in 24hours, hair started to grow back in one week, ears looked great, and weight gain occurred
and NO MORE ITCHING too.

BUT then we gradually switched over to Canidae for 2 reasons:
1. he could digest it
2. it contained ingredients listed as above which aided in overall health.
which contains papain (digestive enzyme), flaxseed oil, omega fish oil, lethicin, alfafa, and more.

now i am NOT saying Canidae is a cure-all or even good for everyone's dogs
for ME, it was the last resort after trying 6 other dog foods

but after tons of research and consulting with nutrionists and 5 vets
there is proof of certain ingriedients that both aid a dog's health WHILE OTHERS can cause allergy type reactions.

candiae all life stages also didn't have things max reacted to with other foods.

process of elimination in allergies is not easy nor is finding the right food for your dog. BUT looking at the ingredients and then see if there are any additives like flaxseed oil or omega3 etc can help,
i'd say it's worth a try.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Linda, thanks for posting this... one of my guardian dogs, now retired, has recently shown signs of allergies...only it includes tiny bumps on her tummy and under her legs (armpit? LOL). The family is interested in a more holistic approach. I will send them this and the link to Ann Marie's diet for Max.
Thank you!

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Jac,Glad it was useful!

Thanks for your input Sessa- Vanessa, I knew I could count on you! :lol:

Leslie, I use tap water and any of the leftover bottled waters that are unclaimed around the house. :lol:

I hope Sammy stops itching soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts