Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any experience flying with a mini labradoodle?
I fly regularly between Idaho, Mexico and Georgia and want my dog to fly with me in the airplane cabin. Are they small enough for an under seat carrier ? Any input as far as travel would be great ! Thank You !!!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi...I had to reply because I was recently turned away from a booked flight because my puppy was too large to fit under the seat!

I tried to buy a seat for him...nope. If he won't fit comfortably within the carrier (you can get soft carriers) and if the carrier won't fit UNDER the seat in front of you, you won't be allowed to take your dog on the plane.

So, when you book your flight, ask the maximum height...don't guess that the soft crate will fit...mine was "approved by" major airlines (naming the airline I was traveling on) and yet they said no.

My puppy weighed about 20-22 lbs. The carrier was made for a dog up to 22 lbs...the pup was fine inside the crate, but the crate was too big.

If your dog is small enough, you have to book by telephone (not on line) and when you arrive at the airport, you have to pay the fee to carry on the dog...also, they only allow 2-3 animals on per flight, so you want to get there early.

Finally, be sure that the ticket is refundable...I am fighting with the airline to get a refund, even though they turned me away!

By the way, my experience was through Delta.

G

·
Hi, I think the idea of traveling with a beloved pooch is a wonderfully loving idea (who wouldn't want heir little snuggle bug with them) but there are lots of things to take into consideration. Flying to/from foreign countries may put your dog at risk of contracting diseases or strains of viruses & bacterias that US vaccines aren't meant to prevent & that domestic dogs haven't been exposed to & therefore have no resistance. Even different parts of the US have different veterinary health issues. Sometimes you may have to quarantine your pooch for up to 6 months before it is allowed to enter the US.
We flew with Odie when he was a pup & only weighed about 16 pounds so he fit just fine in a small carrier. Jac is right about the phone resrvations. Not only are just 2 animals per flight allowed (so book early) but we were warned that if a passenger lets the airlines know that they have any animal allergies they will cancel your dog's reservation on the spot. They refuse to accept the "hypoallergenic doodle" claims- I asked, just in case. Two-legged passengers get priority, even though they are not even remotely as lovable as a doodle!
It's also not cheap - we flew on USAirlines round trip from Boston to Philadelphia & it cost $100 each way for Odie & it only cost $119 round trip for me & I took up a whole seat while he was neatly tucked under my feet! They don't count pets as carry-on luggage though they treat them that way.
I'm not trying to discourage you, I think it's do-able but requires lots of pre-planning.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I really doubt your mini Labradoodle will be small enough to be allowed to fly in the cabin, sorry :( They do have strict restrictions on flying with your pets and the pets do take the back seat to the human travelers so there is always a chance that your beloved pet wouldn't be welcome at the last minute. I believe you would find it very discouraging if you tried taking your pup on trips with you and having him/her fly in the cabin with you.

Jac, I'm so sorry you encountered such a bad experience. I am not a fan of Delta airlines, I hope you will get your money refunded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts