Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What types of Flea/Tick collars and treatment do you recommend? I wanted a natural and non-toxic treatment, if possible...

Any ideas? Jaxy is 10 mos...

G

·
It's not natural but I use K9 Advantix. So far so good. Oh and it's not good for cats so if you have a cat you have to be careful. I called Bayer (the manufacturer) and they said that as long as the cat doesn't groom the dog within 12 hours of application it's fine. My dog and cat can't be in the same room for 12 seconds so that's not a problem for us.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here's what I'm doing after much research. I'm giving Sadie brewer's yeast & garlic chewables. She gets one a day and thinks it's a treat. This is supposed to make her less attractive to critters in addition to being good for her coat, skin, etc.
My second line of defense will be (if she gets any fleas or ticks) to use the Frontline spray as needed.
If a problem arises and continues, I'll use the Frontline Plus but from what I've gathered, it's not really necessary to apply it once a month. Some people do it once every 45-60 days from April-September and less frequently (if at all) in the winter.

ETA Sadie does also take Sentinel every month and that's for heartworms and flea eggs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i just read yesterday about using tea tree oil, which is very strong undiluted. but buy a small bottle of the oil and dilute it w water; spray all over for fleas and ticks. i use tea tree as kind of a panacea, so i don't doubt its strength. also, avon skin so soft works beautifully but i don't like the way it smells. i am also going to start giving brewer's yeast. did it w my last dog which worked well. i have some frontline here but haven't used it. we don't have a flea problem (am worried about ticks though) and i hate the idea of using that toxic stuff but would do so if i got desperate i guess.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Advantix here too..but, i also use a spray for tick s and fleas..

being semi country and at the dog park everyday i take special
care about the dog s picking up riders from other dogs..

i had used Hartz weekly..but, having run out i decided to try Adam s..
some squeeze on s and spray s will stink up the house for day s..other time s ull need to shampoo cuz the odor is just too unberable..

Adam s has, to me, a minty smell..and the next day there is hardly any
odor at all..it s suppose to last more than a month..effective on fleas, eggs, ticks and mosquitos..*we ll see*

G

·
I just read Taryn's post about bloat and feeding the dog brewers yeast was listed as one of the potential causes for bloat.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ticks are really bad here. I've used Frontline for many years and have not had a problem with either my cats or dogs. It's Frontline for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts