Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, We are considering getting a doodle puppy now, hurray, however, I wanted to get everyones feedback on the costs involved for the first year for a healthy puppys expenses. We might be taking part in a guardianship program of a local reputable breeder so that will slightly change our costs but I still would like to find out different peoples experiences. Also, did anyone work during their pups first year and how did you work your schedules out with the pup?Fortunately I am self employed part time and my business is a 7 minute drive from our home so there is some flexibility there....Thanks everyone :lol:

G

·
I did work. I also travel a lot for my job. When I first got Maya I was home most of the time with her. If I had a trip it was overnight and a friend would come and take care of her while I was gone. I am traveling a lot more these past 2 mos so she either stays with a friend of mine or I board her in a daycare/boarding facility that I trust. As far as costs go I haven't really kept track but with her spay ($300) and food, shots, toys, meds, etc I am sure I will be up around $1000 for the year. (That doesn't include boarding costs).

BTW Maya was a little older when I got her. She was 3.5 mos old.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Initial cost of a Labradoodle can run you from $500.00 to $3000.00 for a puppy. There are a lot of doodles out there needing rescue, if you are not particular on age, you can check Petfinder or Idogz if you think you might want an older doodle

Cost for normal things like spaying/neutering, shots etc can vary by area, so you might want to call around to a few vets in your area and find our what the charges will be. Then you have to add in heartworm medicine (monthly) flea/tick stuff, we do monthly where we live

If you plan on having your dog groomed, costs also vary by area and by type of doodle you get - some F1's require no grooming other than bathing and clipping nails - others that have "hair" need to be groomed anywhere from once a month to every couple of months depending on the dog and how you want them to look. You can either take to a groomer or buy clippers/blades etc and groom yourself. Again, you can call around to different places and find out what they charge for grooming.

Food cost depends on what quality food you feed your dog - here is a link that lists different dogs foods, what is in them and how they are rated, from one star to six stars, what is good and bad about each food, well worth the read http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Those would be your "normal" costs - there are always unexpected costs if your puppy gets ill or injured, no one can estimate those costs.

I am at home so Annabelle was not left alone a lot Being close to home will def be an advantage for you, being able to go home at lunch and let your pup out to potty and play for a bit is great. Depending on type of business - could you bring your pup to work with you, that's always another option.

Good luck !

·
Registered
120 Posts
Everyone always wants the "cute little puppy" I know I get googley eyed over them myself. Mudd was 6 month when he came to live with us and he has absolutely been wonderful!!! He was not housebroken, but we were able to train him in about 2 days or 3 accidents (all pee thank god!) He has been so calm and loving. He came from a situation where he just didn;t get any attention and was just left in the yard to entertain himself.
I have never had a resue dog, but I agree that that might be a wise choice to consider. There are so many that need loving homes. This would also help with costs as well.
I can speak from recent personal experience, we just got a new a pup last weekend and it has been quite a busy, sleepless, and stressful week. It make getting an older pup look like a walk in the park!
Good luck with your search I hope you find the perfect pet!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for those tips.....I know the puppy responsibility is tremendous the first 6 months or so....We will see what we end up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts