Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyke has her first appointment with the groomer on Monday. Deloris is a wonderful groomer who really loves animals. Not only does she now work part time at our vet's office, but I chose her years ago, because she was the only groomer who would let me stay with my Eskie while she worked on her. Fritzy was about 13 years old, and had never been groomed before, so I was nervous about leaving her with a stranger. Not only did Deloris let me stay, but I even helped out with some of the other dogs while Fritzy was drying (she fell asleep!).
My current job won't allow the time to go and spend several hours at the groomer's anymore, and I know that Deloris will take wonderful care of Tyke, but I'm afraid the noise will scare her! I've bathed Tyke several times already - she loves water, but she HATES the sound of a hair dryer! I've never even used one on her, but she flies out of the bathroom whenever she hears me turn mine on!
I guess I'm being an overprotective Doodlemom, but I guess I was just wondering if any of you had the same feelings the first time your baby was away from you! (To make matters worse, Tyke is getting spayed this coming week as well - a whole night away from her Mommy!)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Kim ... I think one of the best things for your little cutie is that you won't be there to convey any additional nervousness and concern.

You are very lucky to have a groomer you know and trust.
You will be leaving your sweetie in good hands that know how to calm and cuddle!

Little Tyke will be fine. I am a tad concerned about YOU! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kiddin' ya!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh I can't wait to see photos of little Tyke all groomed :) That's great you have someone you can trust. Just tell your groomer about Tyke's fear of dryers. Maybe you can bring some treats and she can give Tyke some while the dryer is on to make it a happier time?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ladies - I feel better - I'll make sure Tyke has her Kong toy full of treats with her for the "ordeal", and Mary, you are right - I am sure this will be much harder on me than on Tyke! I'll post pictures after her new "do" is finished!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I think knowing your groomer for so long and having so much confidence in her will help Tyke do jus fine !

Just remember if you are calling the groomer every 5 minutes to check on Tyke, she won't have Tyke ready when you go to pic her up :wink:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might be tempted to call and check on her, but I have scheduled several appointments at work, so I won't be able to - probably good for me, Tyke and the groomer!!! :lol: I'm just so used to having Tyke around, even at work (she is "working" full days up here at the office now) I really feel funny when she is not around! (Like I've walked out of the house without my shoes or something!)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am being quiet and patiently awaiting pictures :D :D :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kim I totally understand. I took Cooper in for just an "intro" to the groomer. It was just a short little visit to introduce the process and I watched thru a mirror (so he couldn't see me.) But I do have to admit I took him to doggie daycare for the 1st time on my birthday and called 2 times to make sure the other dogs weren't being mean!!! He had an absolute ball, came home exhausted and a little smelly! It was worth it!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's good to know I'm not the only paranoid mama around! Poor Tyke is going to have a rough week - grooming on Monday, and getting spayed on Tuesday! (I'll take her post-grooming pictures BEFORE Tuesday!)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I dropped Tyke off at the groomers this morning on the way to work. She ran right up to Delores and gave her a "doodle hug!" She was not too happy with the beagle that was literally BAYING like the Hound of the Baskervilles across the room, but otherwise seemed to be ok. I'll be picking her up around 2 this afternoon. Poor little thing gets spayed tomorrow morning, and has to spend the night at the vet's! I thought the grooming appt. would be a good experience before I leave her overnight - at least she will know I'm coming back! I'm really going to miss her snoring on the foot of my bed tomorrow night :cry:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Leslie - it has been so long since we've had a puppy spayed (16 years ago!!) , I don't really remember how long it took Fritzy to recover. I am sure with Tyke's energy level, she is going to have to spend a bit of time in her crate so that she will stay quiet!!!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
tykesmom said:
Thanks Leslie - it has been so long since we've had a puppy spayed (16 years ago!!) , I don't really remember how long it took Fritzy to recover. I am sure with Tyke's energy level, she is going to have to spend a bit of time in her crate so that she will stay quiet!!!!
It was eight years ago for us, with our Dane. Chouette was a bit quieter the first day and then she seemed to feel fine. The vet's office asked us to give her one 75 mg. tab of Rimadyl for the first four days, so we administered that with food since that class of drugs can bother the gastrointestinal system sometimes. She only licked at her stitches occasionally, which the office said was normal. They would have been concerned if she seemed preoccupied with them or bit at them, but she didn't. Per their instructions I kept her on a leash when taking her outside for five days. After that she was good to go.

I bet Tyke will do just fine!

Leslie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, she is back from the groomer - boy does she look different! (but cute!) Her legs are much longer than they looked with all that hair - she will be a great running buddy when she grows up! I may wait until I get home from work before I can post pictures - we have this wierd system at work where we log into a server in our other office 45 miles away, and I'm not sure I can save the pics to photo bucket from here!
The groomer said other than when she was having the hair cleaned out of her ears, she was very good, and was holding her own in the "barking contest!"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts